Traveling with refrigerated meds / Diabetic

me-shel

Cruising on the Carnival Fascination and trying to "fill in the gaps" while we're traveling. Mom's unopened insulin needs to be refrigerated and here's what we *think* we know as well as some time gaps we need help filling.

Airport security : TSA shouldn't be a problem if she has frozen gel packs and a little cooler if she identifies herself as diabetic. Anyone ever asked for proof?

We'll be flying around 11 hours (with layover) so our overall travel time will be longer than that. Once we get to the hotel in San Juan... Then what? We'll be at the Sheraton in Old San Juan. I haven't contacted them yet, but are there any common services for storing meds at a hotel? Or will we just need to keep a travel cooler filled with ice?

On the ship we're expecting to request a sharps container and have Carnival store the unopened meds.

What about returning home if she hasn't had to open the extra meds? From docking to home is going to be another 16-17 hours. Will Carnival re-freeze ice packs for us?

Any experience is greatly appreciated. And if anyone has a favorite "travel kit" that works I'd love to hear about it. We're far enough out that we can order anything that would help.

Soft side cooler with frozen gel packs will be your friend. I also suggest buying some freezer bags to seal insulin and loose ice.

I drove down from MN to Florida and went on B2b cruise for 9 days so I have all the tricks. And spent 3 months down south with 3 months supply of insulin (pharmacist mess up, he was only supposed to fill one month and was planning to filling it as needed down south)

Freeze the gel bags any chance you get, also keep some freezer bags incase you need to pack ice while waiting to find a place to refreeze the bags.

Airport security deals with insulin and diabetics daily and that wont be a issue. If you are stressing a current prescription or medical sticker on the actual insulin will ease your stress.

DON'T let any of these "forums doctors" tell you they don't need to be in a cooler or a medical fridge, they are NOT your doctor and they wont be around when the drug does not work because it was in the heat.

Contact special needs and request a medical fridge before the cruise. If they do not have one available, you have 2 choices the cooler or store them in the infirmary. I took only a day supply with me and stored the rest in the locked storage in the infirmary. (no charge).

I also suggest finding a insulated insulin case while on the islands, just so they don't get too hot.

I found mine on Amazon.com. (Walmart used to have them but stopped caring them :()

Good luck

Contact special needs BEFORE the cruise for a sharps container and request a medical fridge. My boarding pass has my request for a sharps container and a medi fridge, it will be in my cabin when I arrive. Special needs will add it to your boarding paperwork so no need to wait in a long line.

Edited by PattBenatar
added

If you get on a Carnival ship early ask the room steward for a refrigerator. There are a few that are available for people who need them. Otherwise you need to take it to the passenger services desk and they will put it in a refrigerator "in the back" but that means going to the desk and waiting your turn each time it is needed.

If you get on a Carnival ship early ask the room steward for a refrigerator. There are a few that are available for people who need them. Otherwise you need to take it to the passenger services desk and they will put it in a refrigerator "in the back" but that means going to the desk and waiting your turn each time it is needed.

Service desk will not nor should not hold any drugs. All drugs are locked up in the infirmary. This is protocol. Medical fridges is not a refrigerator. The have medical fridges for medicine not to keep sodas cold.

From Special needs:

DIABETES

For guests who are traveling with injectable medication and need a Sharps disposal container, please contact the Medical Center or the onboard Housekeeping staff. Some ships have staterooms equipped with mini-bars designed to maintain the temperature of beverages. Mini-bars are not to be used to store medications that have specific temperature requirements. Portable medi-coolers are available on a first come first serve basis. If a cooler is not available, our Medical Center can assist guests with refrigeration needs, or you may bring your own personal-size cooler for this purpose.

Don't wait until you board. Request a medical fridge now. It will be in your cabin, where you can access it yourself 24/7. The infirmary is not open very many hours and it can be a hassle getting them to open the doors so that you can get your stuff

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the great information, it's been extremely helpful to hear the "voices of experience" rather than just trying to interpret policies.

On the cruise side, it sounds like we actually won't be able to make any arrangements until after we board, but then it should be pretty simple. The response from Carnival:

You will need to bring enough medication and medical supplies to last the duration of your cruise. Our medical centers cannot refill prescriptions or provide the use of medical equipment. If your medication is a prescribed narcotic you must hand carry the original container and prescription. Please hand-carry your medications and medical supplies and not place them in your checked luggage.

We no longer have portable medical refrigerators onboard our vessels. If your medication requires refrigeration, medi-coolers are available for this purpose. Please visit the Guest Services desk upon embarkation as they are on a first come first serve basis and will require a $70 refundable deposit. If a medi-cooler is not available our ship's Medical Center will arrange storage, please contact them once onboard. Alternatively, you may bring a small insulated cooler no larger than 12” cubed.

If your medications are injectable, please contact our Housekeeping Department for a sharps container, if needed.

Soft side cooler with frozen gel packs will be your friend. I also suggest buying some freezer bags to seal insulin and loose ice.

I drove down from MN to Florida and went on B2b cruise for 9 days so I have all the tricks. And spent 3 months down south with 3 months supply of insulin (pharmacist mess up, he was only supposed to fill one month and was planning to filling it as needed down south)

Freeze the gel bags any chance you get, also keep some freezer bags incase you need to pack ice while waiting to find a place to refreeze the bags.

Can I ask what brand/model of soft side cooler you used? How many pens were you able to carry? We will also have a 90 supply with us and need to cover a couple of 24 hour gaps without refrigerator.

thanks,

Marc

Can I ask what brand/model of soft side cooler you used? How many pens were you able to carry? We will also have a 90 supply with us and need to cover a couple of 24 hour gaps without refrigerator.

thanks,

Marc

It was just a cheap one I found in the school section. I think I paid 5 bucks for it. Yes 90 day supply X 2 different kinds will fit fine I had both short acting and long acting with me. Both were sealed shut in gallon size freezer bags just to provide moister free barrier. 2 ice frozen gel bags in freezer bags same as above. I find putting a nice wash cloth on top to keep moister and to keep it cooler a nice touch.

If I had to guess I had 20 boxes with me. and had plenty room. 20 boxes (6 pens each)

• 2 weeks later...

I am diabetic and travel with bottles of insulin. I found a cooling bag made by FRIO. There are special beads in the inner bag that get cold with regular water. They work well and come in different sizes.

Google FRIO cooling products.

I was told my my pharmacy that individual bottles of insulin can be kept at room temp for 28 days with no problems.

Louise

I am diabetic and travel with bottles of insulin. I found a cooling bag made by FRIO. There are special beads in the inner bag that get cold with regular water. They work well and come in different sizes.

Google FRIO cooling products.

I was told my my pharmacy that individual bottles of insulin can be kept at room temp for 28 days with no problems.

Louise

Though most insulin manufacturers state that a vial of insulin can be kept at room temperature for up to 28 days, it's important to note that room temperature for storage of insulin is defined as between 59 degrees and 86 degrees Fahrenheit.

Additionally it's important that you read the warning that comes with your specific insulin RX to make certain what that manufacturer recommends for safe storage at room temperature.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband uses this when we travel:

41h96VbIjDL._AC_US218_.jpg

It keeps his opened bottle cool or at room temperature. If he's nearing the last 1/4 of an opened bottle, then he will take two in the case, since he will need to open the new bottle soon. His unopened bottles can be at room temperature for 28 days.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband uses this when we travel:

41h96VbIjDL._AC_US218_.jpg

It keeps his opened bottle cool or at room temperature. If he's nearing the last 1/4 of an opened bottle, then he will take two in the case, since he will need to open the new bottle soon. His unopened bottles can be at room temperature for 28 days.

Can you give more info about this, such as a link or at least a brand name/model number?

We are going to need to bring refrigerated meds from now on, all the time, so this is new to us, especially on flights or travel to/from airports, etc.

Also, for others, ESPECIALLY with the new security measures (but even without), we *always* travel with Rx labels on all meds, in original bottles, and we also have a letter from physician on letterhead for anything injectable (or controlled).

We've also always checked ahead about any governmental specific restrictions or approvals.

It's easy to take care of that in advance, and it avoids what could be minor or major inconvenience while traveling.

GC