SS Nov-Jan. Cruise/Port Changes??!!

TLCOhio

Be interested in hearing from Silversea as to how they are going adjust their port stops, cruise pricings/offerings, etc., as many November-January Caribbean schedules could be seriously impacted by the damages from Hurricane Irma. As shown below is just one example of the Dec. 6 Silver Whisper planned cruise stops. BUT, it appears that the serious damages hitting St. Maarten, St. Barts, Grand Turk, etc., have been very significant. Not sure when folks will know if and when conditions can be fixed to make the local tourism infrastructure back to "normal"??!!

This might be a good question for Mark Conroy, Managing Director, Silversea Cruises, when he does his Sept. 18 discussion on these Cruise Critic boards. Any folks on these boards scheduled for Caribbean cruises to these areas with Silversea or other lines during this November-January period?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,841 views for these postings.

For the Dec. 6, 2017, Silver Whisper sailing, here are their currently-scheduled port stops in the Caribbean.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

July%202017A%201619_zpsa3rsszu3.jpg

Good question Terry. It's one thing to miss a port for bad weather, but another if you are booked to stop in what looks like a war zone.

My cruise in March this year was 90% identical to the above. I know what I'd personally prefer, so I'm certainly interested in what SS (and indeed all cruise lines) are thinking about for the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Assuming that these tourism-dependent ports are able to receive visitors safely and that there are still some attractions, would it not be good to support the local economy by not canceling the port call?

I believe that Crystal (and perhaps other cruise lines) offers a volunteerism option on most cruises where participants can contribute in various ways to the local area. Would Silversea offer similar opportunities in these areas (assuming that volunteer assistance would be welcome)?

Going to be on that route in November. Been through this before, bet the islands will be open for business in a week or two. Baring that your looking for lodging on some islands. Lodging will be limited for a while. It will be bus tours passing building that are boarded up or just left as is due to no money to dix anything.

Appreciate these various follow-ups and comments. This overall cruise situation is complicated with many of the cruise operation offices in South Florida being impacted, too, by Irma. It will take time for the leaders of the cruise lines to get "re-organized" and back to normal. Then, they need more info from each of the different islands, their recovery plans/timings, etc.

From the New York Times today, they have this headline: Desperation Mounts in Caribbean Islands: ‘All the Food Is Gone’ with these highlights: In the days since Irma pummeled the northeast Caribbean, the social fabric has begun to fray in some of the hardest-hit communities. Residents of St. Martin spoke about a general disintegration of law and order as survivors struggled in the face of severe food and water shortages, and the absence of electricity and phone service. The Dutch territorial side of the island has also experienced widespread security problems at shops, though the issue was reported to have subsided by Sunday, though not completely.

Sadly, this story details many of the challenges facing these islands and areas. This includes about restoring order and safety there.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/10/world/americas/irma-caribbean-st-martin.html

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

This is something that has been concerning me, as my husband and I are booked on Silver Whisper's cruise from New York to Barbados on 2nd November included in the itinerary are visits to St. Marten (overnight) and St. Barts. I shall be very interested to know Silversea's proposals although am sure that we will not find out until nearer the time.

This is something that has been concerning me, as my husband and I are booked on Silver Whisper's cruise from New York to Barbados on 2nd November included in the itinerary are visits to St. Marten (overnight) and St. Barts. I shall be very interested to know Silversea's proposals although am sure that we will not find out until nearer the time.

based on all the images and report that i have seen St. Maarten and St. Barths will not be accepting cruise passengers for a long time. Many of the citizens probably will not have power or water restored by then.

With all due respect, I don't think some of these islands will be open for business in a few weeks or even a few months. Many have been devastated and even in the USA some locations look like a war zone and won't even have electricity for quite some time.

Please keep in mind that this was the most powerful hurricane to hit the Atlantic Ocean and as such is not your typical hurricane in terms of the devastation that has taken place.

We haven't even seen it all in terms of video showing the destruction on these islands.

Terry, I believe the challenge for cruise lines is that some of these ports get many ships each day and with each passing year there are more and more cruise ships sailing this area during this time of the year. I am sure they will find alternatives but think that some cruise lines who regularly sail these areas and have many more ships sailing them (Carnival, RCI, etc.) will have priority.

I am sure in the end it will all work out. Maybe there will be less ports in on some itineraries and more sea days. As to cruise fares that will depend on supply and demand and whether or not people change their travel plans.

Again, looking at photos, reading articles it is apparent that this is not just a few week recovery and some of what we have seen looks like war torn Europe after WWII.

Right now the priority is the people and getting them precious items including water.

I would add that this will take a real major humanitarian effort in many places. Just think in the USA how states such as Texas and Florida could not do it on their own. This not only included substantial money that will be needed from the Federal Government but also all of the efforts that have been in place the last couple of weeks in Texas by local groups including my own community lending a helping hand and what will take place in Florida.

Right now it would be unsafe and unwise for cruise lines to be visiting some of these places except on a mission as some are doing to pick up people who need to get back to places such as the USA.

Having been in a hurricane at Cabos San Lucas many years ago that pales in comparison to this one the devastation that we saw first hand was horrific and not fixable in a few months let alone a few weeks. Please think of New Orleans. It was not fixed in a few months.

Please also remember that some of these places that we hit hard took a more severe beating then Florida took since by the time it hit Florida (although powerful) it was less severe then when it hit these islands and please remember that the building codes are likely less stringent then they are in places such as Florida and that their infrastructure is not like it is here. Even in Florida there are 20,000 people working to restore Florida (I realize it is a very large state) but they are getting assistance from personnel from several different states. Getting outside assistance from other areas is a bit more challenging for some of these islands.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

We, too are on that cruise. I very much doubt that those islands will be open to tourists, though of course our visit is 7 weeks away. Its a huge dilemma for the affected islands, whether to get the tourist business up and running again ASAP to get income or concentrate on sorting out what the residents need first. I would like to be able to visit, if only to spend there as they will need as many tourist dollars as they can get after this.

I look forward to meeting you on board

Rp

We, too, are on the November 2 cruise from New York to Barbados. Was looking forward to going to St.Maarten but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen. I'm sure Silversea will do the right thing.

I too, am booked on the upcoming NYC-Bridgetown cruise and must confess this situation is entirely my fault. This was to be my third attempt to visit St. Barths. Unfortunately, each time I am scheduled to visit, something happens to prevent it: fisherman's strike, rough seas, severe hurricane... I suppose I should give it up before I trigger a wold apocalypse! My apologies,

Bechi

How long will it be before some people with huge sense of entitlement and limited capacity for empathy begin to complain that the cruise line is not precisely following the advertised itinerary, demanding significant compensation because this or that port has been missed, etc? Perhaps such messages have already appeared. :)

I too, am booked on the upcoming NYC-Bridgetown cruise and must confess this situation is entirely my fault. This was to be my third attempt to visit St. Barths. Unfortunately, each time I am scheduled to visit, something happens to prevent it: fisherman's strike, rough seas, severe hurricane... I suppose I should give it up before I trigger a wold apocalypse! My apologies,

Bechi

I will share the blame with you. We have a history of blighting places just before or just after we visit. Beirut, Istanbul, Ashdod, The Crimea,South Korea... Not forgetting the entire USA in 2014(?) when all the government institutions shut down.

Wherever we end up, I am certain we will have a good time and will do what we can, when we can to help the affected islands. If we do divert from St Maarten and St Barts, perhaps Silversea can also divert its charity "donations" on this trip to the relief funds for the islands?

Rp

If we do divert from St Maarten and St Barts, perhaps Silversea can also divert its charity "donations" on this trip to the relief funds for the islands?

Rp

Now I really like that idea Rosepark! I'm also comforted to find that I'm not the only har"bringer" of doom on the seas!

Bechi

How long will it be before some people with huge sense of entitlement and limited capacity for empathy begin to complain that the cruise line is not precisely following the advertised itinerary, demanding significant compensation because this or that port has been missed, etc? Perhaps such messages have already appeared. :)

Hopefully most understand these challenges, but sadly Observer is correct that a few always like to complain and not see the "bigger picture".

From the New York Times Travel Section in the past couple of days, they have this headline:After Irma: Caribbean Tourism, Island by Islandwith these highlights: Some of the most idyllic — and tourism-dependent — destinations in the Caribbean have been crippled in the wake of one of the most powerful Atlantic basin storms ever recorded. Ferocious storms are nothing new to these islands, but Hurricane Irma, with its 185-mile-per-hour winds, was catastrophic. Cities, and some islands, are almost entirely in ruins. Certain islands were better prepared than others as the storm roared from Barbuda, part of the country of Antigua and Barbuda in the eastern Caribbean, to the Florida Keys, destroying homes and infrastructure, including roads and hospitals; flooding hotels and restaurants; and leaving people without power, food and essential services. In the hardest-hit places, like St. Martin and St. John, a slow and arduous recovery is underway.

This NYT newspaper summary has details for most all of the various locations. Interesting article and review

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/travel/after-irma-caribbean-tourism-island-by-island.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2F travel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&regio n=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPl acement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,936 views for these postings.

This morning, there is the CNN headline: "Hurricane Maria: 'Significant' strengthening likely as storm nears land". Here is their quick summary: "Hurricane Maria is forecast to rapidly strengthen over the next two days as it takes aim at Caribbean islands devastated by Hurricane Irma just days ago. Maria has prompted a hurricane warning for Martinique, Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Kitts, Nevis and Montserrat."

Sadly, this latest storm that will complicate even more the cruise ship folks in trying to figure out their schedules of port stops during the peak winter season for the eastern Caribbean.

Full story at:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/18/americas/atlantic-storms-maria-jose-lee/index.html

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

Here is the CNN graphic this morning for the direction of Hurricane Maria as it heads to the Caribbean.:

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%208.32.40%20AM_zpsbr7voa9z.png

Edited by TLCOhio

This morning, there is the CNN headline: "Hurricane Maria: 'Significant' strengthening likely as storm nears land". Here is their quick summary: "Hurricane Maria is forecast to rapidly strengthen over the next two days as it takes aim at Caribbean islands devastated by Hurricane Irma just days ago. Maria has prompted a hurricane warning for Martinique, Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Kitts, Nevis and Montserrat."

Sadly, this latest storm that will complicate even more the cruise ship folks in trying to figure out their schedules of port stops during the peak winter season for the eastern Caribbean.

Full story at:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/18/americas/atlantic-storms-maria-jose-lee/index.html

Here is the CNN graphic this morning for the direction of Hurricane Maria as it heads to the Caribbean.:

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%208.32.40%20AM_zpsbr7voa9z.png

While we've changed our focus to more distant destinations and itineraries we probably have spent a couple hundred days cruising the Caribbean going back to our very first cruise in 1994. It's sad to see so much human suffering and physical devastation to eastern Caribbean islands we have visited numerous times. I can't imagine many, if any, of the impacted islands recovering completely this Caribbean cruise season. Of course it's a two edged sword, the islands need time and resources to recover but many of the islands count heavily on tourism.

While we've changed our focus to more distant destinations and itineraries we probably have spent a couple hundred days cruising the Caribbean going back to our very first cruise in 1994. It's sad to see so much human suffering and physical devastation to eastern Caribbean islands we have visited numerous times. I can't imagine many, if any, of the impacted islands recovering completely this Caribbean cruise season. Of course it's a two edged sword, the islands need time and resources to recover but many of the islands count heavily on tourism.

Great added background from Randy for your excellent experiences in Caribbean!! Agree on looking at more distant and unique itineraries. Here is more as to what is hitting these scenic islands. Very sad and challenging situation. We will all hope for the best, but "two-in-a-row" are too, too many dire happenings.

From the London/UK Daily Mail today, they have this headline: Category 3 Maria takes aim at the Caribbean islands leveled by Irma with these story highlights: The National Hurricane Center in Miami says that Hurricane Maria has strengthened to a Category 3 storm and was 'rapidly' intensifying into a major hurricane. The eye is expected to move through the Leeward Islands later Monday. The storm's center was about 60 miles east of Martinique, with maximum sustained winds of 120 mph. The storm is on a path that would take it near many of the islands wrecked by Hurricane Irma and on toward Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Hurricane warnings were posted for Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Kitts, Nevis, Montserrat and Martinique. A tropical storm warning was issued for Antigua and Barbuda, Saba, St. Eustatius and St. Lucia.

Below are a couple of their graphics to better show where this storm is headed, etc.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4895266/Hurricane-Jose-pound-East-Coast-week.html

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 187,278 views for this posting.

From the Daily Mail, here are the graphics/charts showing the Hurricane Maria path and direction.:

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%2012.10.50%20PM_zpsscq8lopb.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-18%20at%2012.13.19%20PM_zpsetac5mq8.png

OK. We are on the November 2 sailing of the Whisper from New York to Barbados. I know it's highly questionable that we would visit some of the ports on the original itinerary. I was thinking of some new ports they could visit and now I find those new ports are in danger! Really don't know what will happen with this sailing...

OK. We are on the November 2 sailing of the Whisper from New York to Barbados. I know it's highly questionable that we would visit some of the ports on the original itinerary. I was thinking of some new ports they could visit and now I find those new ports are in danger! Really don't know what will happen with this sailing...

In a couple of words....managed expectations. Most likely the islands are still going to be in the early stages of recovery and your experience may not be typical.

Unfortunately the way I'm seeing what Maria is now doing to the eastern Caribbean this is just going to be a marginal to maybe just not happening cruise season for several islands. Personally I can't remember a hurricane season, at least not a recent one, that has impacted the eastern Caribbean this heavily. It was mentioned this morning that we still have eight to nine weeks left in the hurricane season. That could mean everything from we've seen the worse to more to come. Ugh! :(