Hurricane Irma

meow!

We hope its effect will be over and there will be no more left for this season.

We remember an old sage once said, "June too soon, August it must, September remember, and October it's all over".

You folks have any opinion of how true that is?

When I was at sea, Meteorology was an important part of our 'formal' training and this

motto was frequently used. However, the biggest thing they used to stress was that all the books tell you how a TRS should track ... generally - In that the hurricanes would start off Africa and move towards the Caribbean and then turn right and track across the Atlantic where they would dissipate. Then they would show old plotted tracks when a rogue storm would reach the Gulf of Mexico and looped round to the left!

TRS's are interesting beasts and are prone to the unpredictable. We were once off Japan and at the edge of the main storm and were rolling through 70 degrees. That was about the same time the Derbyshire was lost with all hands.

Treat them with respect.

It is true that hurricane season is considered June through November and if you plot storms over time over the years, it's a bell curve with a peak in the middle (September 10, aka Hurricane Day). You typically get more storms in August, September and early October, but that doesn't mean you can't get storms during the other months or, in bad years, as early as May or as late as December.

Here's a good chart as an illustration: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/#cp100

Unfortunately we are in a different era when weather norms do not apply.

Please remember that on October 29 Hurricane Sandy came ashore and played havoc on the Northeast.

Then there was the great snowstorm that hit the Northeast of the USA in October 2011. I lived in that area for many years and never remember any snow in October.

The other issue is not only hurricane season but that there have been some once in 500 year hurricane's that are coming every year or two.

Keith

Please remember that on October 29 Hurricane Sandy came ashore and played havoc on the Northeast.

Then there was the great snowstorm that hit the Northeast of the USA in October 2011. I lived in that area for many years and never remember any snow in October.

The other issue is not only hurricane season but that there have been some once in 500 year hurricane's that are coming every year or two.

Keith

Agree completely. That "old sage" lived long before climate change. Nothing can be counted on in this day and age.

Keith

Thank you kindly for your reply.

A totally different subject, You are in the 80,000 club, I have great trouble trying to reach the 5,000 club!:D

I heard from Spinnaker and she and DH are okay. There is lots of damage in her area. Has anyone heard from Karoake Queen, Lois or CrusinPashmina? I believe they are all in Florida.

Here in Tallahassee, we had very few problems except loss of power and water for about 12 hours. At the coast due south of here, it seems damage was minor.

I heard from Spinnaker and she and DH are okay. There is lots of damage in her area. Has anyone heard from Karoake Queen, Lois or CrusinPashmina? I believe they are all in Florida. Here in Tallahassee, we had very few problems except loss of power and water for about 12 hours. At the coast due south of here, it seems damage was minor.

Glad you have also heard from Spins in the Fort Lauderdale area. I have posted at the Cooler several updates she sent to me via e-mail as they are dealing with the challenges of no electricity and the hot, humid weather in South Florida. Lois has kept her power through the storms and has done several posts at the Cooler. Drop by the Cooler and do an update there. It has been very active this morning. Glad that you are surviving in Tallahassee.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 186,801 views for this posting.

CruisinPashmina was evacuating to friend 's condo. I haven't heard since Irma swept through and can only assume it's because of loss of power. She was in direct path on west coast Fort Myers/Naples vicinity.

She assured me she would let us know.

CruisinPashmina was evacuating to friend 's condo. I haven't heard since Irma swept through and can only assume it's because of loss of power. She was in direct path on west coast Fort Myers/Naples vicinity.

She assured me she would let us know.

Just heard from Cruisin Pashmina. She's OK -- but going to Publix market for WiFi. Didn't comment about damage but said generators in use on Sanibel, etc. Worst thing is NO ICE. :eek:

DH and I ok. Well, if you don't count days and days of preparation, putting up shutters, moving outdoor furniture and plants, making ice, securing everything outside, nothing left to be a missile.

Then at 4 am on Sunday morning the first call on landline followed by countless phone calls during the storm advising and telling us to get in safe room, as tornadoes in our vicinity, over and over again, the wind rising, rain sideways, no power, then no phones, hearing trees hit house, roaring wind, panting dog.

Trying to be calm as we curled up on floor of safe room with our flashlights. Dog very unhappy.

Finally the wind abated...

Then we began pitching tons of food from two refrigerators.

Some I cooked on grill as I determined it was still cold and brought excess to neighbors. DH ate gelato soup for lunch one day.

Thank goodness for my sterno stoves...I have had them for years. I can make espresso( yes I ground the beans before the storm). I can cook stuff on them too.

Living with flashlights.

Nothing cold except showers.

When safe went to market to get ice. Tried to save some food with ice.

DD wedding cake not make it.

Yes we have had property damage but no water intrusion. Days of heat and high humidity where breathing an issue without air conditioning and having to keep Windows and sliding doors open and fear of looters, and no I don't have a gun.

Had to have windows open, but no breeze...after wind speed of over 100 miles per hour, now stagnant. Spent lots of time in my car, miraculously not touched by falling debris. It was cool in car. Dog fell asleep in car from exhaustion. Trying to charge phone to hear news. In the middle of storm phone tried to update creating havoc to use as it was interrupted by power outages.

Neighborhood had lots of trees down.

Laundry piling up.

House just gross.

But we are lucky.

We had shutters.

Protected from the wind to a large degree.

Others lost everything.

We count our blessings.

Edited by spinnaker2

Happy to hear you're all basically well...haha! Our pooch would've hated it as well and probably would've collapsed from exhaustion...Liked the part about him/her falling asleep in the car!

Bottom line is that you and yours are ok! Good news!

I heard from Spinnaker and she and DH are okay. There is lots of damage in her area. Has anyone heard from Karoake Queen, Lois or CrusinPashmina? I believe they are all in Florida.

Here in Tallahassee, we had very few problems except loss of power and water for about 12 hours. At the coast due south of here, it seems damage was minor.

Hi Victoria. Terry and I evacuated. We are a quarter mile from the bay of Naples and if the storm surge happened, we would have been under water. Today is day 8 away. Due to hotel room shortages, we've bounced around, always moving further west. Staying in Pensacola since Sunday.

We have only landscape damage and consider ourselves very lucky. The power is being restored in grids. Florida Power and Light gives us a date of 9/22. There is no gasoline to be found and grocery stores are opened but there are shortages

Expect to start heading south tomorrow and booked in at Tampa for a night to break up the slow go. We also own at condo ( for another 8 days [emoji23]) that was not damaged and has power.

The State of Florida is so prepared for this type of event. The resources of communications for those of us who left is stellar. In fact we learned last night that there is concern the interstate 75 will be shut down, due to a swollen river that is threatening to flood it. The detour would add 2-3 hours on to anyone's southbound trip. Fortunately for us coming in from the west, we had planned to take this alternate route.

Looking forward to normalcy again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DH and I ok. Well, if you don't count days and days of preparation, putting up shutters, moving outdoor furniture and plants, making ice, securing everything outside, nothing left to be a missile. Living with flashlights. Nothing cold except showers. Laundry piling up. House just gross. But we are lucky. We had shutters. Protected from the wind to a large degree. Others lost everything. We count our blessings.

Appreciate these details and follow-ups from Spins and KaraokeQueen. Very challenging situations and times!!! Yes, as noted, Florida has been better prepared for certain of these conditions than some Caribbean island locations, etc. The recovery is going to be long and take much patience. Many are fortunate such as in parts of the west coast, that Irma turned inland when it did. Damage there on the west coast could have been much worse.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Spinnaker2 expressed how awful and scary Irma was for me in a borrowed ground level condo townhouse...minus the dog. My companions, very dear friends in their mid to late 80s were beyond terrified and it took a lot of energy to keep things relatively calm. I slipped between leading Zen breathing exercises and jumping into Staff Sargeant mode. Now that I am finally home, with both power and water, I keep shaking. My friends, shaky too, are okay. My little house and their apartment came thru the storm with no real damage. My Gulf front apartment on nearby Sanibel Island is undamaged. I have been incredibly lucky. My heart goes out to those still suffering. A lot of people have lost everything. I hope to start volunteering tomorrow.

Hi Victoria. Terry and I evacuated. We are a quarter mile from the bay of Naples and if the storm surge happened, we would have been under water. Today is day 8 away. Due to hotel room shortages, we've bounced around, always moving further west. Staying in Pensacola since Sunday.

We have only landscape damage and consider ourselves very lucky. The power is being restored in grids. Florida Power and Light gives us a date of 9/22. There is no gasoline to be found and grocery stores are opened but there are shortages

Expect to start heading south tomorrow and booked in at Tampa for a night to break up the slow go. We also own at condo ( for another 8 days [emoji23]) that was not damaged and has power.

The State of Florida is so prepared for this type of event. The resources of communications for those of us who left is stellar. In fact we learned last night that there is concern the interstate 75 will be shut down, due to a swollen river that is threatening to flood it. The detour would add 2-3 hours on to anyone's southbound trip. Fortunately for us coming in from the west, we had planned to take this alternate route.

Looking forward to normalcy again.

I just got home from Alligator Point/Tallahassee where the damage was minimal. I wish I had known you were passing through! When I drove on an overpass over I-10 on Tuesday, eastbound traffic was bumper to bumper with no accident in sight. If you have time and lots of patience, consider driving either Highway 98 along the coast or Highway 27 which is a divided road. Good luck!

Interesting email on the impact of IRMA from Alan Fox today:

Hurricane Irma left a trail of death anddevastation across the Caribbean last week before slamming into Florida andspreading across the south-eastern U.S. At this writing, there have been atleast 38 confirmed deaths in the Caribbean and 23 in the U.S. Our hearts andprayers go out to all who have been impacted by this storm, the largest everrecorded in the Atlantic Ocean.

The Caribbean is the world's most popular region for cruises and Florida ishome to the three busiest cruise ports in the world (Port of Miami, PortCanaveral and Port Everglades), so Hurricane Irma's impact on the cruise industryhas been as enormous as the storm itself. In this cruise newsletter, I'llexplain what we know so far.

First, Hurricane Irma caused widespread destruction to a string of Caribbeanislands, including numerous cruise destinations.

The hugely popular port of St. Thomas, USVI, was devastated. Power is stillout, food is running low and the airport was destroyed. Nearby St. John was hitequally hard but somehow St. Croix was spared significant damage.

The British Virgin Islands suffered massive damage. I've seen unofficialreports that up to 90% of houses, businesses and boats were destroyed.

Up to 70% of the homes in the Dutch territory of St. Maarten have been severelydamaged or destroyed and there is also severe damage on the French side of theisland, St. Martin.

Also hard hit was the tiny island of Barbuda, where Irma first made landfall asa Category 5 hurricane with sustained winds of 185 mph. An estimated 95% of theisland's structures were damaged and the island's prime minister described thescene as "total carnage".

Scheduled port calls to these destinations have already been cancelled onnumerous sailings and this will likely roll out to other ships and dates. Somecruise ships will continue to call solely to deliver food and supplies.

All of these islands depend heavily on tourism, and the sooner they can reopentheir shops, restaurants and resorts, the faster they will recover. Right now,they are in desperate need of food, water, medicine and clothing. Completerecovery is likely to take years.

In addition, numerous islands sustained significant damage but their touristinfrastructure emerged intact and they are--or will soon be--open for business.Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, the Dominican Republic, Guadeloupe, Martinique,Nevis, St. Barts, Anguilla, Antigua, Haiti, St. Kitts, the Turks and Caicos andCuba fall in this category.

Fortunately, Irma missed some islands completely. Aruba, Barbados, Bonaire,Curacao, Grand Cayman, Grenada, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and The Grenadines andTrinidad and Tobago are among those that were not impacted at all. Cruise portsin Mexico and Central America were also not affected.

After ravaging the Caribbean, Irma hit the Florida Keys as a Category 4hurricane with winds of 130 mph, leaving behind extensive damage in the113-mile-long chain of islands. FEMA has reported that about 90% of houses inthe Florida Keys were damaged and 25% were destroyed. Port calls at Key Westhave been cancelled.

Irma made its second U.S. landfall at Marco Island, a barrier island in theGulf of Mexico along Florida's southwest coast.

Irma continued north along Florida's west coast, bringing high winds, heavyrain and storm surge to both coasts of Florida as well as Georgia and SouthCarolina. Nearly 15 million homes and businesses in the south-eastern U.S. lostpower and 6 million are still in the dark.

Throughout Hurricane Irma's short but lethal life, cruise lines kept theirships well away from the storm to ensure the safety of passengers and crew andto provide as enjoyable a cruise experience as possible.

As Irma bore down on Florida, the headquarters of the world's largest cruiselines--Royal Caribbean International, Carnival Cruise Line and NorwegianCruise Line--and many smaller ones, were closed and employees evacuated.

Royal Caribbean opened the Enchantment of the Seas to 2,700 Florida-basedemployees and families in need of shelter; the ship sailed out to calm, safeseas to wait out the storm.

Florida's ports were closed. Some cruises were extended, at no additionalcharge to passengers, while others were cancelled, delayed or had their itineraries altered

This is quoted verbatim apart from correction of spelling mistakes.

I just got home from Alligator Point/Tallahassee where the damage was minimal. I wish I had known you were passing through! When I drove on an overpass over I-10 on Tuesday, eastbound traffic was bumper to bumper with no accident in sight. If you have time and lots of patience, consider driving either Highway 98 along the coast or Highway 27 which is a divided road. Good luck!

Both 75 and 27 are closed due to flooding. We drove 75 north and then went over to 41 when that stopped while evacuating. Even if we get power back, we have no water or sewer. Extended our hotel stays into next week but moving down to Sarasota. Power is sporadic where it has been back up and running. The water system was completely destroyed. Things are going to be rough for awhile in Naples.