Salacia...

pepperrn

I've been asked by the DH of Agnes, known to us as "Salacia", to let the Cunard board know that his wife died unexpectedly in the early hours of Thursday, September 7.

He said "She loved sailing on the QM2... and she greatly enjoyed the camaraderie of the message board, especially the spirited debates".

Her Cunard Platinum Pin was placed in her casket by her family.

He went on to say "She was diagnosed with cancer in March 2015, and with great courage and determination underwent chemotherapy, radical surgery and radiation over the balance of that year. Her recovery was very slow, and only last April, with a new oncologist and a better anti-cancer drug, did she start to feel significant improvement".

He also said "She told me long ago that she wanted only three things from death: that it be quick, that she be buried in her family plot in Brooklyn, and that everyone have a good time at her wake, funeral and luncheon. She got all three".

Today, 19th Sept, would have been their 36th Wedding Anniversary.

I had the honour and pleasure of meeting Agnes in the Commodore Club on board Queen Mary 2 in November 2016 a day after leaving New York. We had corresponded for a few years previously, but it was coincidence that we found we had booked the same Caribbean cruise.

Meeting Agnes was a real, genuine pleasure. She was elegant, gracious, witty, wise, intelligent, great in conversation; listening intently and then responding with exactly the right comment. I had sincerely hoped that our paths would cross again one day soon on board a Cunard ship. It is not to be.

A member of the family described her thus: "She was beautiful. She was smart. She was funny. And she was tough!"

Salacia, Agnes, R.I.P.

Salacia struck me as a woman who knew her own mind, and one who always was willing to provide valuable information on this site. She clearly was intelligent, based on her posts, and generous with her time and her thoughts. I had no idea she was experiencing a serious illness. Wouldn't have guessed that from her posts. She will be missed on this forum, that's certain. Best wishes to her family.

So very sad to hear the news. Salacia was not only a QM2 fan but a tremendous Brooklyn advocate as well. I used much of her advice on my recent pre-crossing day in Brooklyn. Condolences to her family.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sad news. I always looked forward to her posts. (Even when she was correcting me about something in NY, and about which I would always defer to her knowledge and experience.) My deepest condolences to her family and friends. And happy to hear that she got her wish.

-Mark

This is sad news indeed. Salacia was a wise and witty contributor to this forum whose encouragement helped me make up my mind to make my first transatlantic crossing. She will be greatly missed and fondly remembered by us all. My thoughts and prayers are with her family. And may her voyage take her to a brighter shore.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Wow this news hits hard. I never met her or spoke with her but she is a main reason we are sailing QM2 next May.

Her posts made me fall in love with this idea.

I will toast to her in the Commodores onboard.

May she Rest In Peace.

Very sad.

May I also extend sincere condolences to her family.

Over the years, I too, had a few run ins with good old Salacia, but we always bounced back and tried again.

She was obviously posting right up to the end. No question about it, she did have marvellous knowledge about both NYC and Cunard.

Many people will miss her musings.

Stewart

This is truly sad and shocking news. I would always read Salacia's posts, because I knew they would be spirited and cleverly written. She was generous with her knowledge and advice, and her keen intelligence.

May her family be comforted by the knowledge that her contributions enhanced the enjoyment of others as they crossed on the QM2 or visited NYC.

Our sincere sympathy to her family.

Ricki

I wish to extend my sincerest condolences to Salacia's husband and family. I too am a Brooklynite and related to many of her posts. I will miss her witticisms and intelligence. I regret I never had the opportunity to meet her in person but had hoped that one day I would. So sorry to learn of her passing. Thank you Pepper for posting this and informing us of this very sad news. S.