Southampton Port Call

cruisethirsty

I'm thinking about doing the QM2 round-trip trans-Atlantic from NY. It makes a port call in Southampton from 6:30am to 4:30pm. However, the early arrival is probably because there will be a lot of one-way cruisers disembarking and new people will be getting on. I'm wondering if anyone has done a port call here on a round trip and, if so, do you know what time they will let people that are here for the day off of the ship?

For passengers remaining on board for more cruising, Cunard offers a number of excursion to interesting places near by Southampton. I will be there on 5th November on the crossing from Hamburg to NYC. I chose the walking Titanic Trail tour of Southampton,($40) because I have been to Stonehenge ($76), and Windsor Castle($100) a number of times. I can recommend them as well. They also have a tour to Winchester and the Cathedral for $64. The tours include bus and admission, and because they are Cunard sponsored tours, the ship will not leave until you get back on board. The tours can be booked once you have paid your fare and get access to the voyage personalizer, and up to the day before, assuming there is space. You meet in a location on the ship, and your told where to go to catch the bus or meet the tour leader. Meeting time for my 4 hour walking tour is 8:30 am to give you an idea.

You’re off with the “self-help” folks. Assuming all is on schedule, that should be about 7:30AM.;)

That's very good news for me because I'm thinking about going over to Portsmouth and the extra hour or

two should make it much easier to get back with lots

of time to spare. Thanks for the info.

Just want to add a note that there should be a UK customs agent aboard, so there will be no need to clear customs as a passenger in transit. (Unlike the situation for passengers turning-around in NY).

I didn't investigate tours for our RT a few months ago, but the usual advice about third-party providers often offering superior tours for less money probably holds true here as well. And although there's a degree of risk of missing the boat, I would expect that the local providers are VERY familiar with the QM2's schedule and the traffic conditions.

We just needed to pick up some essentials from the Boots at the local mall (shuttle provided by Cunard) - but we had absolutely no delay or problem disembarking or reboarding in the terminal as passengers in transit.

That's very good news for me because I'm thinking about going over to Portsmouth and the extra hour or

two should make it much easier to get back with lots

of time to spare. Thanks for the info.

A word of warning if your going to the Royal Navy Base, to see HMS Victory or the Mary Rose. The travel time from Southampton Central on the train to Portsmouth Harbor Station (where the base is) is about 1 hour and 10 minutes each way. From the station it's about a 20 minute walk the HMS Victory and a bit further to the Mary Rose. You will need about 10 minutes on each end to get from the Ocean Terminal to Southampton Central station by Taxi. Trains run about every 30 minutes. Good Luck.

Thanks Big Mike.

The time constraints was the main reason I wanted to know about when I could get off the ship. With an early departure possible I can be at the Dockyards when it opens and shouldn't have any trouble getting back to the ship on time. But thanks for the warning---I'll be careful to watch the clock.