Being a younger solo cruiser

nolatravelgirl

I am contemplating a Silversea cruise in Spring 2018 as a solo. The itinerary is amazing! I am not new to luxury cruising, but have only cruised Seabourn and am definitely drawn to the low single supplements of SS. I have done a couple of mainstream cruises, but the huge ships and mundane ports are just not my cup of tea. The mainstream would definitely be lower priced as a single. My previous luxury cruises have been with a friend who has found a romantic mate (hooray for her!) but means I lose my cruise buddy. I need to figure out my cruise life without breaking the bank as a solo. I know that SS caters to the more mature solo ladies with gentleman hosts but are there any of you folks who have cruised solo on SS at age 40. I am social, well traveled and not out looking for a singles cruise, but also don’t want to feel like an outsider.

I share your appreciation of the very attractive single supplements SS is offering on a number of cruises.

I have lots of nights on SS as a solo. As I recall, gentleman hosts are provided only on specified cruises. I think it is inaccurate to say that there are lots of aging solo ladies: There are solo men, as well, and they come from all age categories (with 40s up predominating.)

I think you will find SS a very welcoming, unpretentious environment. One difference from Seabourn: Invitations to hosted tables (which are too frequent for my taste for solos on Seabourn) are less frequent. But MDs in the dining rooms are pleased to create tables of strangers and do so all the time. As a solo, you will be asked whether you prefer that evening to dine alone or to join another table.

The single supplements are too good to pass up. May they continue!

I am 43 and will travel solo on the Silver Shadow in November. It will not be the first time for me on Silversea but the first time solo. But I know from previous cruises, where I've met solo travellers that it is normally easy to get to know people. If you want to I can tell you more how it was this time after returning from the Shadow in November.

I remember on my last cruise (I was 36 by then) I travelled with my mom. She was not feeling well and spent a lot of time in the suite. So I was going to dinner or the bar quite often on my own but I never stayed alone for long. So I am sure, since you say you are a social person it will be the same for you.

I've been sailing Silversea since I was thirty, occasionally with my young man, but most often solo, which I kinda-sorta prefer. I did one cruise with Seabourn as well, but due to an inconsiderate family onboard, am irrationally biased and lean towards Silversea on future cruises, especially now that the triplets are gone.

I really enjoy luxury cruising as a solo as I can enjoy all the freedoms of doing, or not doing, exactly what I want, when I want, and with whom, with nary a second thought or qualm. No need to compromise! Also, the all-inclusive nature helps to avoid that "third wheel" feeling when socializing with couples on board. The international hostesses on board are wonderful and there's usually a solo gathering in the Panorama each evening, and they often host tables at dinner as well. I think Silversea does not issue many invitations to hosted tables as they used to, as I never received any on my last solo cruise. Of course it's certainly possible that they noted my "with regrets" responses to invitations in the past and figured I didn't want to be bothered. I'm fickle; sometimes I like socializing at dinner, and other times I embrace my solitude and prefer dining alone or making arrangements with others I've met on board. I haven't had that much experience with the gentlemen hosts, aside from small talk over cocktails and the odd dance lesson, but they seem to be very popular. I can't remember if Seabourn offers many cruises featuring them.

If you've enjoyed sailing as a solo on Seabourn, I have no doubts that you'll enjoy doing so on Silversea as well.

Cheers!

Bechi

Hi, I just returned from my first cruise with Silversea and I always sail solo.....well, I went last month:).........it was

fabulous. I am a bit older than you but I would definitely recommend them. 40, 50, 60, whatever.......it is a wonderful

experience and going back to main stream is going to be very hard:D........actually, I just booked another cruise with

them for next summer:)

I felt very welcomed and it was very easy to meet other people......and staff/crew, everyone interacted with the guests.

I LOVED IT:D

It's good to know that Silversea is a good line for solo cruisers. I've cruised solo on Crystal which is great but, I would like to try other cruise lines. Thanks to the original poster for starting this thread and to those who shared their opinions!

Lisa

I am social, well traveled and not out looking for a singles cruise, but also don’t want to feel like an outsider.

We think the question you will have to answer is not so much how the passengers will feel about you, but more how you will feel about them. Will you enjoy relating for an entire cruise with passengers of a general age beyond yours?

The bulk of my cruises have been as a solo (remember when single supplements were as low as 15% on Radisson Seven Seas back in the early 2000s?). I was also always guaranteed to be the youngest paying passenger on board by at least 35 years. I've always found my fellow passengers to be very congenial and very interesting people. If you like the combination of great food, wine, and conversation, you'll find it on any of the "luxury cruise lines." Age is a state of mind.

However, I will caution that Caribbean itineraries do tend to be harder for younger solo passengers because those itineraries tend to attract a more "sedate" and "cranky" passenger base. The European and Asian itineraries generally attract passengers who are more active and curious about the world.

However, I will caution that Caribbean itineraries do tend to be harder for younger solo passengers because those itineraries tend to attract a more "sedate" and "cranky" passenger base. The European and Asian itineraries generally attract passengers who are more active and curious about the world.

May I point out that the "sedate" and "cranky" older passengers on Caribbean cruises were not born thus. They were once younger and thus "curious about the world," and they traveled extensively to Europe and Asia. Thanks to their earlier travels, their curiosity has been sated. :)