QE2 50 years old

babs135

I agree she is too far gone. And I love QE2 memories as much as anyone. Queen Mary served approximately a decade less then went to Long Beach as a still operating ship. Even then, Long Beach spent massive amounts more to convert/stabilize her than they originally thought. Just to tow her to Greenwich (for example) and refurbish her as a viable hotel and to insure her safe floating for decades to come would cost more than building a massive new hotel. Sorry to say, it all eventually comes back to money.

If you enjoy a good laugh at what passes for journalism and a reporter's research these days ... then you'll enjoy the reporting on QE2's "birthday" from the UK Daily Express newspaper of September 16th.. just a few quotes...

"The QE2 - the longest, widest, tallest, fastest and most expensive passenger liner ever built..."

"The QE2 weighs 70,327 tonnes"

"...but the (captain) with the strongest connection to the ship was Commodore Ron Watkins"

"Ron's father Bill was the QE2's first master..."

"Now the world's most famous liner is an empty hulk"

I count six (maybe seven) errors in those few quotes, unless anyone can spot more?

If you enjoy a good laugh at what passes for journalism and a reporter's research these days ... then you'll enjoy the reporting on QE2's "birthday" from the UK Daily Express newspaper of September 16th.. just a few quotes...

"The QE2 - the longest, widest, tallest, fastest and most expensive passenger liner ever built..."

"The QE2 weighs 70,327 tonnes"

"...but the (captain) with the strongest connection to the ship was Commodore Ron Watkins"

"Ron's father Bill was the QE2's first master..."

"Now the world's most famous liner is an empty hulk"

I count six (maybe seven) errors in those few quotes, unless anyone can spot more?

Didn't Commodore Warwick (the first) spell his first name "Bil"?