Thoughts on the 30 day Incan Empires cruise?

Overhead Fred

We have visited all of these ports -- some twice -- while doing the Panama Canal and also when on an extensive San Diego to South America itinerary. The ports are interesting. If you want "fun" in a Cabo San Lucas kind of way, this would not be that kind of cruise. There is much poverty evident in quite a few of these ports, so that is something to be mentally prepared for. That said, DH and I both were glad to have made the journey and came away with many vivid and enriching memories.

We did this cruise in November 2014 on the Statendam. Doing this itinerary round trip from San Diego was a plus for us. We left our car at the Best Western Yacht Harbor in their under ground garage in San Diego. It was a 31 day itinerary when we took it...DH said it was too long on a ship, but I was fine with the length. We had a verandah suite. The ports were amazing! I found the port for Trujillo, Peru to be my favorite. The Incan sites around Trujillo were amazing....I had read about them in National Geographic, and now got to see them! The ship was in port for Lima for 3 days. We hired a private company, Lima Mentor, for 2 days in Lima, a fascinating city. They put together a custom itinerary based on my wishes.

I would take this cruise again if I had the chance. There was a fantastic on board lecturer who is also a cruise critic member who packed the showroom for each talk.

I hope you will be able to take this cruise....you will see so much, and I definitely recommend it!

Karen

Hi All,

It is a long way off, but we are considering the Incan Empires cruise (30 day RT San Diego) on the Volendam for Feb 2, 2019. Has anyone done this cruise recently and could you provide some feedback/pros & cons?

Thanks!

We have done the first half earlier this year and it was a great cruise.We visited Cabo San Lucas, Huatulco, Puerto Chiapas, Fuerte Amador, Manta,Salaverry and Lima. The ports on the return leg to San Diego were all familiar to us so we decided to disembark in Lima, where we made a private tour to Machu Picchu. This trip is also provided during the cruise by HAL, but extremely expensive and too short. We saw Machu Picchu as a main event during this trip, so took our time afterwards, a great trip.

The ports we visited were all very nice, we took excursions in each and everyone of them. Weather was great, with especially the last few ports very hot,especially Peru, but great to dive in to history of the Mocche and Inca’s. On board,lots of information by both the Location guide and also guest speakers, who provided great knowledge of the history and culture of the country’s visited.

A great cruise, highly recommendable (the first half anyway).

Edited by Alphen

We were on the first half of this cruise back in 2014 and got off in Lima to tour on our own. That cruise had overnight stops in Huatulco and Panama City which were highlights of the cruise for us, especially since my husband lived in the Canal Zone for most of his first 18 years. It is too bad they don't do the overnights any more but still good they actually stop in Panama. Trujillo is amazing if you tour the ruins. Of course there are ships tours, but we got off the ship and found a van there that could take us to the Huacas of the Sun and Moon and also the ruins at Chan-Chan along with 13 new friends. Our driver did Chan-Chan first and avoided the crowds. They encouraged everyone to take the shuttle to town ($20 on our cruise) since they said there would be no taxis, but this was not true. Puerto Chiapas and Corinto are not favorites so the only "con" I would have.

There were tons of passengers from California, some just on board for the ride, not getting off the ship--the round trip aspect is a definite "pro". Lots of engaged passengers who appreciated the enrichment opportunities and interesting ports. The dance instructors on board (Joyce and Sam) have become dear friends. Of course, they have done away with that activity on almost all cruises. Hopefully there will still be a lecturer on board.