Beware of Scootaround

judyzoo

We’ve used Scootaround for scooter rental many times in the past, but never again. We specifically ordered a Pride Revo scooter because of its width -- 21.5 inches. This would enable it to fit through a regular cabin door, so that enabled us to book a regular cabin. We thought that even if the cruise line was wrong about the 25" clearance through the door, we could at worst disassemble the scooter -- which they said was not too difficult, and still get it into the cabin. We confirmed, and double confirmed the Revo model and its width, and Scootaround even sent us a multi-page manual for that scooter.

But what did they deliver on the day of our cruise? A very much larger Pride Legend, which had no chance of fitting through our cabin door and couldn’t be disassembled. We contacted Scootaround; they didn’t care, at all. They said all that confirmation of the type and size of scooter ordered was nothing more than a “request,” which they decided not to honor. We’re disputing their charge through the credit card company, but I wanted to let you all know that you cannot count on Scootaround, so beware!

That's absolutely horrible. And totally unacceptable in my book. I find it particullarly disturbing because the company should understand why certain specifics are important (such as width) especially since they do such a huge chunk of their business in the travel market.

OK, it's not like you are renting a car and you get there and they give you an upgrade because they don't have the model you rented in stock. In most cases you can probably use both models; granted you may have a preferance for one model but you can probably use the one they delivered. Not so in your case. You needed a specific scooter for a specific reason and the one they delivered would not fill the bill. And let's not forget, you are paying a premium price for them to find you the scooter you need.

Grrrrrr!! I'be be ticked too. I hope your CC company denies the charge. Rest assured I will spread the sord about this one. Potential customers need to be aware of this lack of customer service.

Candy

Candy,

You are exactly right. I too thought of the car rental situation, but I know this is a totally different situation. Scootaround knows generally that it’s renting to people with specific problems for specific situations, and in our case we discussed in detail the width requirement and the reason for it, so they we well aware of what we needed and why, and they agreed to furnish what we needed. Thanks for your concern, and I do hope that you’ll help in spreading the word. And the blog is appreciated. People need to know what can happen to them.

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s an update on the problem that I started this thread with.

After I put the charge in dispute with my credit card company, Scootaround contacted me and agreed to refund the entire charge, including the charge for cancellation insurance, and give us a $100 discount on our next rental. After numerous phone calls and emails back and forth, that seems to be taking place, and for the next cruise -- because we absolutely insisted -- they have included in our confirmation specifically what scooter we are to receive and they claim to have one person monitoring this latest rental to make sure that we get what we ordered.

BUT, and it’s a big one -- they now have a notice that they send for cruise rentals (which does not apply to our rental, at our insistence) stating that: “we cannot guarantee the size or width of the equipment” that they will deliver to the ship. Therefore, the notice continues, “be sure to advise your cruise line so that they can make arrangements to park it in the purser’s office or wherever they choose for charging if it will not fit through your cabin door, or they may upgrade you to a handicap accessible cabin if they choose to.” I would say that neither of these suggestions is based in reality, as that is not how the cruise lines work.

So, my original caution stands, because Scootaround’s policy is not to guarantee that you receive what you ordered unless, perhaps, it can be done on a case by case basis.

Yes you are right that is NOT how cruiselines work and they certainly ought to know that. Also if you order medical equipment and they provide something else then they are no good at all, and I would not accept or pay for said equipment.

I rented from them for an 11 day cruise and the scooter would not hold a charge, it only made it halfway down the hall then went dead so I was mostly cabin bound for the entire cruise.

and since it was all foreign ports I could not get another scooter or any help.

they refunded my money and gave me a future discount, Big Freaking Deal.

I have used them since, surprisingly enough but always with trepidation.

my cruise in two weeks I am using a local out of Charleston SC who would be the one supplying the scooter IF I had booked with scootaround but for 1/2 the cost scootaround would have charged.

You know, after calling and finding out how much they charge per rental..I can buy one used for not much more than that in local shopper paper. I am seriously thinking I am going that route. They charge horrid prices, I think anyway. Now, if I was flying overseas for a cruise..then yes I would want to rent but for usa ports...uh no thanks at that price.

Hi, I booked through Carevacations or CSA last October, told them what i wanted and why. They did an excellent job of getting exactly what i needed. Spendy? Some $265 for ten days but it was there and waitig, and easy to charge, I went every where with it. We went to the Southern Carribean. No problems any place.

This time i was going to rent again for the Mexican Riviera but it is more costly (Pacific Coast) $325 for eight days so i opted to buy..

I also was going to have a standard room but found out the door is only 23" wide and the HC is 30. I had a hard time getting it in the HC room and it was only 20" wide so imagine what it would be like it they should do that again. WoWie!!!

There is no parking them anyplace except your stateroom. Fire hazzards and other handicap people have a hard time gteting arouond them if left iin elevator areas or hallways.

I sure am sorry to here that you got a bum company. I do hope they will resolve all of this to your liking. Who did you cruiseline company suggest? Mine was the CSA, I was on Holland. They really work with the handicap/ Good luck.

Did you ask for recommendation on who to contact? I did and that is why they sugessted CSA.

I found they always want to know who is special needs. On the Holland i had to fill out a paper called SRI giving the info on what my needs were. ON the NCL that i am goingon in March they didn't have me fill out a paper but did ask in an email what they were and scooter, or chair, what kind of batteries. That was about it. I haven't traveled enough to know what the other lines require.:p

• 10 years later...

This is supposed to be a company that provides scooterservice for those who have difficulty with mobility. They provided a scooter for my mom for arecent RC cruise. The scooter was so bigthat she could not use it on the cruise ship. She had to go the entire 12 days of the cruise without a scooter. When I made several calls to try & get apartial refund from the company, since the scooter was not usable for my mom,they refused. Essentially they said thatmy mom could have used it, that maybe it was not set up correctly. First, it was the company who should have setit up for a cruise ship. Secondly, if mymom could have used it, she would have. It was very difficult for her to go the entire length of the cruisewithout the scooter. I tried to pointout that in their contract it states that if there is any issue with therental, you are entitled to a partial refund. However, they kept repeating that it was the scooter that they supply toall their cruise ships. I wanted to makesure that I warn everyone that I can to NOT use this company for your scooterrental needs.

This is supposed to be a company that provides scooterservice for those who have difficulty with mobility. They provided a scooter for my mom for arecent RC cruise.The scooter was so bigthat she could not use it on the cruise ship.She had to go the entire 12 days of the cruise without a scooter.When I made several calls to try & get apartial refund from the company, since the scooter was not usable for my mom,they refused.Essentially they said thatmy mom could have used it, that maybe it was not set up correctly.First, it was the company who should have setit up for a cruise ship.Secondly, if mymom could have used it, she would have.It was very difficult for her to go the entire length of the cruisewithout the scooter.I tried to pointout that in their contract it states that if there is any issue with therental, you are entitled to a partial refund.However, they kept repeating that it was the scooter that they supply toall their cruise ships.I wanted to makesure that I warn everyone that I can to NOT use this company for your scooterrental needs.

What was the model of the Scooter stated in the rental agreement ? If it was the Pride GoGo Sport or the Pride GoGo Elite Travel than Scootaround was correct in stating that the scooter provided was the Scooter "that they supply to all their cruise ships." It's unfortunate that you mother wasn't able to operate it but regrettably the clause in the contract you're referring applies to mechanical issues and not the end users capability to manage the scooter. If you search through this forum you'll find that it's stated numerous times that particularly if the individual has not used a mobility scooter at home than it's recommended that they go to a durable equipment medical store to test drive a scooter similar to the one you're considering renting.