Looking for a Baltic cruise that docks in Stockholm not Nynashamn

C-breeze

My family is looking into a cruise through the Baltics next summer. I have heard that we should choose a cruiseline that docks in Stockholm. I love Celebrity but am willing to try a different cruiseline as the Eclipse docks in Nynashamn. I really like their itinerary, but I have heard this is a drawback. Azamara, Oceania, HAL and RCCL dock in Stockholm. Any suggestions?

Docking in Stockholm as opposed to Nynashamn is a DEFINITE advantage. I highly recommend choosing a cruise line that does so. We sailed the Baltics on HAL and enjoyed it very much, but our cruising interests and needs may differ from yours. I suggest you choose a cruise line that suits your cruising style, i.e. the Oceania client is seldom the same as the RCCL client.

If this is a crucial issue for you, please consider choosing a smalller ship. The archipelago is very difficult for larger ships to navigate, and if weather conditions are not strong they will be diverted to nynashamn (smaller ships are diverted sometimes too, but less frequently). The baltics are an amazing destination and the ship will be less important than the itinerary. The smaller ships may also be able to dock directly in downtown Helsinki, which makes it a little easier. If you are really flexible, a couple of these cruises sometimes have overnights in another city besides St. Petersburg, and extra time in stockholm would be really nice (3 years ago rc did this on some trips but im not sure about their current offerings). Traveling through the archipelago is slow, so ships docking directly in Stockholm have a shorter port day. I can't recommend a specific line since we sailed on the ncl star, which has been replaced by the getaway, which is a larger ship that has been diverted a few times this season. We had an amazing time on the star, even though it is an older ship with fewer amenities.

We are currently booked on the Eclipse Baltic for July 1, 2018, and my understanding was that it DID dock in Stockholm and not Nynashamn.

Looking here, you can see it listed for Stockholm port (July 9): http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Sweden/681-Stockholm/July_2018/

And looking here, you can see it listed later in July for Nynashamn: http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Sweden/825-Nynashamn_Stockholm/July_2018/

So, maybe it depends on the itinerary.

Those who I know regularly visits Nynäshamn are Regal Princess and Norwegian Getaway but they also sometimes berths in central Stockholm.

Bad weather like strong winds or heavy fog will affect all ships, especially fog. This is however rare and maybe happens once/season.

Edited by Desdichado62

The absolut most safe bet would be AIDA's AIDAmar who is in Stockholm once a week, Viking Cruises and Costa Mediterranea..

The two latter have turn around in Stockholm. Viking berths at Stadsgården S160 while Costa usually berth at Frihamnen F638.

Here is a pdf with this season's visits. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0iRCjlrrTG1OHdyOVpxMXZTNUU

The Celebrity ships have been scheduled to Stockholm for all of their 2017 visits.

As most have said, docking right in Stockholm, opposed to docking an hour away, obviously is an advantage, but, is it a deal breaker?

You have to look at the entire picture, does this particular cruise offer you things that other ships may not, like ports of call, times in those ports, where it starts and ends and price. There are so many other factors that may make not docking in Stockholm a pain, but maybe worth it if there are many other things in it's favor. For us, Stockholm ended up being our favorite port and we spent the least amount of time there.

Look at all factors and then decide. You have to make that final call.

Cheers

Len

If not beginning/ending in Stockholm, two days in Stockholm are very nice and the Stockholm Archipelago is not to be missed. We sailed on the Zuiderdam this year on a 12-day cruise with an overnight in SPB - plus an overnight in Stockholm including sailing through the archipelago. The Rotterdam appears to be the only HAL ship that does overnight there in 2018 . Too early for the 2018 schedule but HAL normally use Stadsgarden S167 which allows great views of Grona Lund and Gamla stan.