Planning for a world cruise!

ijkh

You need room for toiletries and pills

Depending on your port of embarkation, and whether you have time, you might consider stocking up on your toiletries at a CVS or other such store in the port before boarding. Just bring a foldable zippered bag to bring them aboard. We did that last year in Miami, though we did come in a day early and stayed in a hotel near the port (and a block from a CVS) the night before.

Thanks, WishIWereCrusing & We'reSailin'Away. I've been thinking it would be best to find a Walgreens or something near the hotel in Los Angeles for toiletries & over the counter stuff since we'll arrive a day ahead of embarkation. We'll carry on the prescription stuff with us.

Thanks, WishIWereCrusing & We'reSailin'Away. I've been thinking it would be best to find a Walgreens or something near the hotel in Los Angeles for toiletries & over the counter stuff since we'll arrive a day ahead of embarkation. We'll carry on the prescription stuff with us.

We bring everything with us even if it means paying for a extra checked.

We fill we could buy everything at the right price, and the exact things we what pry cruise at home. And that savings would pay for the extra bag.

When I first started lurking on this thread, I thought our WC was years away. 2021 was our target. Then a couple of weeks ago, we caught a sale on Princess and it's official! We're booked for 94 days on the Pacific Princess, from LA to Ft. Lauderdale. We embark on Jan. 22, 2018!!!!

Still in the "somebody pinch me please" phase, but we're starting to plan in earnest now. That includes starting a blog about our adventure at RoundTheWorldWriter! Hope you'll join me there. We're counting on some sage advice from all you more experienced cruisers!

Just saw this and found your blog ... I will be following, of course. My RTW blog is woefully behind, but I will get it all caught up.

Oh, H2so4! I've been following your 2017 Two to Travel blog (and occasionally commenting under my pen name Lexi Eddings!) Your adventures and insights have inspired me so! I've loved armchair traveling with you and will watch anxiously for your next post.

And now I get to embark on my own adventure next January! It still feels like I've woken up in someone else's lovely dream!

Sorry for all the ! I had an editor tell me once that every time a writer uses an exclamation point, someone kills a kitten, but I'm so excited, nothing but copious !!!!! will do!

[quote name=Aquadesiac;53299558

Sorry for all the ! I had an editor tell me once that every time a writer uses an exclamation point' date=' someone kills a kitten, but I'm so excited, nothing but copious !!!!! will do![/quote]

Oh dear...I must kill a lot of kittens! :o I'll have to check out this blog.

Kristy :)

Oh, H2so4! I've been following your 2017 Two to Travel blog (and occasionally commenting under my pen name Lexi Eddings!) Your adventures and insights have inspired me so! I've loved armchair traveling with you and will watch anxiously for your next post.

And now I get to embark on my own adventure next January! It still feels like I've woken up in someone else's lovely dream!

Sorry for all the ! I had an editor tell me once that every time a writer uses an exclamation point, someone kills a kitten, but I'm so excited, nothing but copious !!!!! will do!

Good luck for your trip.....my world cruise in 2016 was the most amazing adventure I have ever done. January will be her soon enough so will be looking forward to following your travels till I can do one again....

best regards Roscoe,,,

ps....leave Kitty alone..!...

I hate to kill kittens ... but sometimes only exclamation marks will do. Luckily I don't have to worry about an editor ;p You are going to have a terrific time on your voyage. I can't believe ours is so close to the end. July is just around the corner it seems like.

Thanks, Kristy! I've poked around in your blog, too, Roscoe. I loved reading your insights and observations. Sounds like you have fun everywhere you go.

thanks.... it was a blast its hard not to enjoy yourself when you are having such an amazing time....hope to do it again 2019....fingers crossed...

• 2 months later...
You're forgetting the "I'm so bored with these things . . ." factor!

I find that what I wear during the day winds up being similar to what happens at home: I have a few "go-to" items I wear all the time, and never get tired of. My problem is that I wear my favorites until they fall apart, and the ship's laundry service has a way of hastening that process. No such thing as a gentle cycle there.

The evening wear is what is more likely to start to bore. Even on lines that have no or few formal nights, the evening dress is still such that the clothes are more likely to be hand wash or dry clean only. And since the nature of a world cruise is such that you unpack once and then you're done with luggage for three months or so, there is no shame in overpacking a bit, provided there's a place to stow your bags and all the stuff you brought.

I'm tempted to do a "practice pack" to see what I can get into 2 suitcases a piece, but our WC is still 145 days away.

Still, it might be a fun exercise some rainy Saturday between now and then...

I didn't do a practice pack but I did weigh my clothes to check how much I could put in one suitcase.

I may have missed it earlier but why have you decided to only take 2 suitcases each?

We haven't done a world cruise yet (planning for world cruise after we retire in 2021).

For 2 people, we are currently estimating 6 suit cases (this is a minimum, could easily go to 8), 2 carry on bags and 2 backpacks.

Backpacks are for the things we need on the airplane (i.e. noise canceling headsets, notepads, and other misc accessories, etc.

I realize this sounds like a lot of luggage, but we like to take an assortment of outfits.

Also shoes take a lot of room.

You only live once, and we intent to live life to the max after we retire.

Safe travels to everyone,

Bob

Hmmm I am really thinking 1.5/pp and carry-ons, unless we decide we need our snorkel fins and then it will be 2 each. I wonder what I am forgetting to pack? No formal nights so that makes a HUGE difference!

I didn't do a practice pack but I did weigh my clothes to check how much I could put in one suitcase.

I may have missed it earlier but why have you decided to only take 2 suitcases each?

We're flying in from St. Louis to LAX, so we have a 2 checked bag a piece limit. Since we splurged and are going first class, the bags can weigh 70 lbs each, but we want to keep to four checked total. I think we can manage. We're not big clothes horses and plan to use the ship's launderette for some things and send out others.

We haven't done a world cruise yet (planning for world cruise after we retire in 2021).

For 2 people, we are currently estimating 6 suit cases (this is a minimum, could easily go to 8), 2 carry on bags and 2 backpacks.

Backpacks are for the things we need on the airplane (i.e. noise canceling headsets, notepads, and other misc accessories, etc.

I realize this sounds like a lot of luggage, but we like to take an assortment of outfits.

Also shoes take a lot of room.

You only live once, and we intent to live life to the max after we retire.

Safe travels to everyone,

Bob

Oh, we'll each have carry on's as well as our 4 checked bags--a roller bag a piece, a backpack for the DH, and my Portable O2 Concentrator & bipap for me. Fortunately, the POC doesn't count as a personal item. It's a required medical device, like a walker or wheelchair, so I can bring the bipap as my substitute purse.

Hmmm I am really thinking 1.5/pp and carry-ons, unless we decide we need our snorkel fins and then it will be 2 each. I wonder what I am forgetting to pack? No formal nights so that makes a HUGE difference!

Interesting that you say 1.5 per person. Does this mean you intend to have one suitcase that's half and half? If so, it's a great idea and I plan to steal it. Since our flight is non-stop, I'm not too worried about losing our luggage, but it wouldn't hurt for us to have a couple of bags that have clothes for both of us just in case we lose one.

Fortunately, the POC doesn't count as a personal item. It's a required medical device, like a walker or wheelchair, so I can bring the bipap as my substitute purse.

Actually, your bipap machine is also counted as a medical device, so you can also take a purse or other type of carry on. I do it all the time.

My world cruise is on Oceania; they include sending 2 pieces of luggage directly to the ship (and home again) so I'll also get to take 2, 70# pieces on the plane with me (they send passengers on first class), plus a carryon and purse. I'm planning to leave plenty of room in a couple suitcases for souvenirs and a good portion of one suitcase will be for meds and toiletries. 4 suitcases per person might sound like alot, but the cruise is for 161 days - luckily there's no need for formal wear, but shoes take alot of room.

We always try and pack 1/2 & 1/2...in case luggage is delayed or lost. I always pack a bathing suit in carry on (one of the most difficult things to replace easily for me).

Viking is shipping one piece of luggage / pp BUT not home!!! Plus our stateroom ( lower category) is quite small with very limited storage space (3 drawers) so we need to be VERY selective about what we bring. It is hassle pulling out a suitcase from under the bed!

Those of you who have done a WC in warm climates HOW much sun screen do you think we will need for 120 days? XXL husband is quite fair!!! Medium wife! I have been keeping track of toothpaste & face cream moisturizer .. most other toiletries are provided.