Smoking and weight loss/fitness

stevefrisco

Has anyone ever noticed that they eat less the more they smoke but it messes with their ability to workout? I'm trying to lose 25-30 pounds before my next cruise in October and started about 15 days ago. The past 2-3 days, I've hardly ate anything but have been smoking like a fish. I've lost 4 pounds on the scale since I weighed myself on Monday (it's Friday) but my afternoon workout just kicked my butt! Is there any tricks besides quitting for smokers to boost cardio capacity? I know a lot of my brother's friends who he does ironman triathlons with are ex-military guys and they all smoke but they've been training for 10-15 years so I assume their bodies are used to it or something.

I am a smoker and when i started my weight loss journey I could barely do a mile on the treadmill in 45 minutes or so. Obviously quitting smoking would be the best way, but if you aren't ready for that yet interval training would be the next best option. I recently started it a few weeks ago and I can already tell the difference as my resting heart rate has gone down another 4 beats a minute. A good easy work your way in to it is something like the Couch to 5k workout.

thanks for the advice, I tried interval training over the weekend on your recommendation and it actually seems like something that will work for me! Hopefully I can crank out several miles a few times per week doing this. The cardio workouts curbed my appetite a bit for me too as an added bonus!

Smoking can really help you lose weight! You can also lose 20 lbs quick by sawing off your leg :)

Just because it works (in the short term) doesn't mean it's a good idea. The fact that your smoking habit is impeding your exercise is more worrisome than what it means for your weight loss goals. You should really try as hard as possible to quit—what's the use getting thin and healthy if you're just going to ruin your health in another way?

If you're addicted to nicotine, why not try an e-cigarette? At least you remove one component (tar, ash or whatever inhalation) that may be the most harmful.

I've done a lot of research on these things and I'm pretty convinced that we are going to find out that they are worse for us. I think they could be a great short-term solution for people who want to quit but most everyone I've known who uses them trades the ciggies for the vapor and never quit using vapor. The vapor users seem to use more than smokers too so overall I just don't think this is for me. I've considered gum as a substitute but have tried several and none taste good.

Health aspects aside, personally I think people look cool when they smoke, especially since there are fewer of us. I think people look silly using vapes. That is just me though.

Smoking can really help you lose weight! You can also lose 20 lbs quick by sawing off your leg :)

Just because it works (in the short term) doesn't mean it's a good idea. The fact that your smoking habit is impeding your exercise is more worrisome than what it means for your weight loss goals. You should really try as hard as possible to quit—what's the use getting thin and healthy if you're just going to ruin your health in another way?

I think being fat is a lot worse than being a smoker. I'm not a doctor but I've felt terrible this past year since I let my weight creep up. I appreciate you trying to be helpful but this thread was to solicit advice on being a person who exercises AND smokes with cigarettes.