grand prix of Monaco - anyone done it?

compozer

Thinking about booking a cruise during the grand prix. I have so many questions. We were over there last year but not for the race so I can imagine how crowded it must be during that time. I understand you can not see the race from the boat and they do not book grandstand tickets - you need to get those yourself. We could do the cruise the week before and watch time trails or even two weeks before for the historic race but if we are heading over there, we really should do the race.

How do the tenders run? Constantly or every hour? I noticed you can purchase many different types of tickets for the race. Even a day on a private yacht - pricey - $3000. If it was one of the sterned in right at shore, it might be worth it for a once in a lifetime experience. But it could be a disaster depending on the other people on the yacht since you have no idea who would be there or how many.

The lady I spoke with said we would fly into Nice. I checked flights and they are sky high. More than the cruise. Prices were all over the place for flying into nearby locations. But transportation could be a pain. Have no idea yet what hotels would cost. I would want to be there at least two days eary. It may be more than we want to pay.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

My wife and I went to the Monaco Grand Prix last year (2016). We flew from London Gatwick to Nice on the day before the race and transferred to Star Flyer in Cannes. The ship did the short journey overnight to Monaco. With many people choosing that cruise as a means of going to the F1, frequent tenders went ashore first thing on the race day morning, settling into an 'every 30 minutes' service.

It's a 20 minute or so walk from the tender to the circuit...just follow the crowds!

This was a special treat for us, so we had bought seats in the top-price stand looking over the track to the pricey yachts in the harbour. Note that all the stands are temporary and rudimentary - plain backless wooden benches to sit on and no weather protection whatsoever; take a cushion to sit on and adequate protection from sun and rain (we needed both!). Take plastic bags to put your cushion in if it looks like rain!

I can't comment on hotels as we didn't stay in or around Monaco. As far as flights are concerned, I see from Skyscanner that some airlines have not yet issued their schedules for next May, e.g. Easyjet, so I would expect cheaper flights to com available around September time.

Thinking about booking a cruise during the grand prix. I have so many questions. We were over there last year but not for the race so I can imagine how crowded it must be during that time. I understand you can not see the race from the boat and they do not book grandstand tickets - you need to get those yourself. We could do the cruise the week before and watch time trails or even two weeks before for the historic race but if we are heading over there, we really should do the race.

How do the tenders run? Constantly or every hour? I noticed you can purchase many different types of tickets for the race. Even a day on a private yacht - pricey - $3000. If it was one of the sterned in right at shore, it might be worth it for a once in a lifetime experience. But it could be a disaster depending on the other people on the yacht since you have no idea who would be there or how many.

The lady I spoke with said we would fly into Nice. I checked flights and they are sky high. More than the cruise. Prices were all over the place for flying into nearby locations. But transportation could be a pain. Have no idea yet what hotels would cost. I would want to be there at least two days eary. It may be more than we want to pay.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Hi. We have been to Monaco Grand Prix twice with Fred Olsen cruises as we found this a very economical way of seeing it. You can book stand k which overlooks the harbour or stand t which overlooks the pit lane. It was great as there is lots of stalls and entertainment on the streets of Monaco before hand. It is busy of course but the atmosphere is fantastic. We enjoyed it so much we booked again the following year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums