Panama Canal Cruise Photos and Blog

marysb

Well, I finally finished sorting out the hundreds of photos from our April Cruise on the Eurodam from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego.

Our itinerary is seen below.

fullsizeoutput_36b7.jpeg

If you are interested in hearing about or seeing any of these ports, click on the links below. Enjoy! And feel free to ask any questions.

Part 1 | Aruba and Panama Canal http://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.ca/2017/05/panama-canal-cruise-april-2017-part-1.html

Part 2 | Puntarenas and and Corinto http://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.ca/2017/06/panama-canal-cruise-part-2-central.html

Part 3 | Guatemala and Huatulco Mexico http://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.ca/2017/06/guatemala-and-mexican-riviera-part-3.html

Part 4 | Manzanillo, Cabo and San Diego http://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.ca/2017/06/panama-canal-cruise-part-4-mexico.html

Mary

Mary,

As our upcoming HAL (Oosterdam) cruise covers five of your ports, I found your blog particularly helpful - and enjoyable. Your photos gave me a real feel for the different places.

Thank you for posting this.

Marion

great pictures and blog.....what type of cabin did you have and was it nice and accommodating.

We had a VA veranda on deck 8- port side. Yes, it was great. Worked fine for 3 people too. Lots of storage space.

A teen on a pullout blocking the balcony door in the mornings was our only issue ;)

We were on the port side, but I see no real advantage to that over the starboard side.

• 2 weeks later...

Mary, we are currently doing research for April 2018 cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam covering a similar itinerary, but disembarking in Vancouver. Your blog is such a help understanding the ports. Thoroughly enjoyed the photos and comments. We are also hoping to do most of the ports on our own so found your ideas excellent. Thank you for creating and posting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for posting links to your great blog. I really enjoyed it! Great pics.

I have one of those Mexican bobble head turtles here in my office. I never knew they had a purpose! We don't get many earthquakes here on the Isle of Man, but it's good to know that if we ever do I will get a warning!

MarySB, Thanks for the review. Did you find walking around Corinto safe? The tours our ship are offering do not interest me at all.

Thanks so much

Yes, we absolutely felt safe in Corinto. Around the park and market, there were police and people were friendly. Sales people can be persistent, but will accept a no thank you. People that had a taxi bike ride to the beach also felt safe. But not sure I would venture too far off the beaten track, so to speak.

I definitely thought walking around town and seeing how a typical Nicaraguan town looks and feels was worth while... so it didn't bother us at all that there was not a huge tourist infrastructure here.

Also, we got good prices on local souvenirs.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Mary

• 3 months later...

I just put down a deposit on a Panama Canal cruise on the Zaandam for next April and was excited to find your blog!

Thanks for the wonderful photos and the detailed information on your ports. We will be visiting many of the same places and I have bookmarked your blog and will refer back to it as I start making plans.

We are doing a similar cruise in December. We got very excited after seeing your pictures. Since we will be going to some of the same places on our itinerary, it gives us an idea of what to expect. My wife will be taking tons of pictures to upload to her website.

Thanks for sharing! Happy cruising wherever you go next!

Thanks everyone - you will really enjoy this cruise!!

Glad you have been enjoying the photos and thanks for the kind words. I know it always helps me decide on excursions when I can see what is in each port (or what's not in each port).

Arymay - I remember your Alaska photo review very well. I referred to it many times when we planned our last Alaska cruise. So glad I could repay you. Let me know if you have any questions

Mary

Marysb

What type of camera and lens do you use?

Hi Jim,

Most of the photos were taken with a Nikon 3100 with a Sigma 18-250 lens. I like how light the 3100 is to carry around and love having the versatility of the 18-250mm lens, but I think I need to upgrade from the Sigma.

For quick shots, I find the iphone 6 does a great job (as long as you don't use the zoom or shoot in low light) and used this a lot when there I was not carrying a big camera around.

Mary

Hi Jim,

Most of the photos were taken with a Nikon 3100 with a Sigma 18-250 lens. I like how light the 3100 is to carry around and love having the versatility of the 18-250mm lens, but I think I need to upgrade from the Sigma.

For quick shots, I find the iphone 6 does a great job (as long as you don't use the zoom or shoot in low light) and used this a lot when there I was not carrying a big camera around.

Mary

Hi Mary,

Thanks for answering my question. Do you plan on posting a photo review when you return from your next cruise? It looks like an awesome itinerary!

Hi Mary,

Thanks for answering my question. Do you plan on posting a photo review when you return from your next cruise? It looks like an awesome itinerary!

Yes, I probably will do a blog for my next cruise. I can't wait! We have never been on a cruise ship this small (350 passengers), but we are told it is similar to a river cruise experience.... which we love.

The itinerary does looks exciting - Athens, the Peloponnese, Dubrovnik and the Dalmation coast, and ending in Italy with stops in Trieste and Venice.

Why does it always feel like I am just putting in time until the next vacation? :o

Mary

Yes, I probably will do a blog for my next cruise. I can't wait! We have never been on a cruise ship this small (350 passengers), but we are told it is similar to a river cruise experience.... which we love.

The itinerary does looks exciting - Athens, the Peloponnese, Dubrovnik and the Dalmation coast, and ending in Italy with stops in Trieste and Venice.

Why does it always feel like I am just putting in time until the next vacation? :o

Mary

My wife says she lives to cruise! I believe it. She's always looking ahead and doing preliminary research for the next one. I'm glad to hear you will do a blog on your next cruise. I'll be looking for it. I like the sound of a small ship experience and your itinerary sounds fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mary. Thank you for your posting about your recent cruise. We are traveling that way next fall with Celebrity (so there are a few ports of call that will be different ) and you given us some ideas/suggestions for the ports of call that are common to both cruise lines

Have a great week,

Susan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums