Soon to be Live from the Encore

ab21au

Quote "Maybe thats why we got such excellent service!"

Maybe because you are polite and well mannered, unlike some at Seabourn Square who say "Give me a coffee" and "Give me one of those" !

I usually say under my breath "Please" and "May I have" but maybe I am old school. :confused:

Also I make a point of calling the staff and crew by name, they are wearng name tags !

I do enjoy it (not) when I hold a door open for someone or allow them to go ahead of me and don't get any kind of acknowledgement, be it a thank you or a smile so I put a big beaming smile on and say 'you are soooo welcome' some people look embarrassed and say thank you, others just look at me as though I have just crawled out from under a stone but it makes me feel better :halo:. I completely agree with SKP946, some people treat the staff like their own personal skivvies and it isn't like we don't have the time for the basic courtesies whilst on board!

Shefinch, I totally agree with you re the guests on the two segments, a total change and it showed in the dress "sense" (or non dress sense) in all of the dining venues.

One morning when I was getting coffees from Julio (who is the perfect gentleman) there was a couple also getting drinks and food and I could not believe the way the couple treated Julio and the other crew in the square. At the time I commented to Julio that it doesn't take much effort to say "please" but he gracefully didn't comment.

On the Amalfi day when the ship was redirected to Sorrento there was a man abusing the CD. His final comment was "I think I chose the wrong cruise line". My thoughts at the time were "I wish you had chose another line". What the brilliant crew put up with sometimes is completely unnecessary and rather sad.

I cannot comment re the pool region because I spent little time there, preferring my balcony. We always were able to get a table at the Patio Grill if we returned after 2 although I agree it was crowded. But then so was the Odyssey in the Med last time we were there.

Re the Retreat - I was told by a crew member who was station there on the sea day in the last leg that it was full that day.

Hi ab21au

Glad to learn the 1898 was a hit. Haven't been on here for a while, so have only just seen this thread. Looks like you had a great time.

2017 is the first year since 2010 that we haven't done a SB - but making up for it next year - just booked Sojourn Bali to Hong Kong via Darwin for April 2018. Really looking forward to setting foot on Oz for first time!

I want to be back on the ship. First day home and I went out the back to sit and have a coffee but didn't expect his company.

36266608112_99b14f3b58_o.jpg

A python I assume, how long Allan ?

We needed that on the Encore to clear the sun lounges:D

Not expecting to set foot on one of those though !

Just read about the possibility of bumping into a saltwater crocodile or the odd jellyfish or two..

Hmmmm....

perhaps we'll just stay on board and have a cheap day at the spa.....

A python I assume, how long Allan ?

We needed that on the Encore to clear the sun lounges:D

Probably almost 1.5m (not that I got that close to measure it.

True, would love to have had it near the pool the morning I saw the woman reserving the 4 loungers 😝

Not expecting to set foot on one of those though !

Just read about the possibility of bumping into a saltwater crocodile or the odd jellyfish or two..

Hmmmm....

perhaps we'll just stay on board and have a cheap day at the spa.....

I think I would stay onboard also. The SB Aus cruises are in our summer which is when all the stingers and crocs are out.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I will be on the September 14, 2017 Encore sailing embarking in Barcelona and are quite excited. We have previously been on Odyseey and Sojourn. We also enjoy other lines such as Crystal, Regent and Oceania. In response to the members who commented about passenger rudeness you are absolutely correct! The reason I mention the other upscale lines is because over the years we have also cruised on most of the mass market lines. For some reason there is a psychotic mindset that takes over with some people when they book a high end line that they need to act or behave a certain way. Perhaps for others it's just that these lines attract those with a gross sense of entitlement and no graciousness. We just returned home yesterday from the Oceania Marina (Northern Europe) and I was blown aware and embarrassed by the rudeness of some passengers. No "please", "thank you", "can I please have", "I would like", "how are you?", etc. Instead we often heard "SIR, SIR!", "GIVE ME", "I WANT", "MY WIFE NEEDS". Wow! My family and I watched in horror as one crew member after another was harassed by the rudeness of nasty, angry and abusive guests. Unfortunately, like me, many of these guests were from the United States. Makes me want to crawl under a chair and hide. Seems to be a very prevalent problem. I wish passengers/guests - especially while on vacation - would realize how fortunate and lucky they are to be able to sail a line like Seabourn and treat the hard working crew with the dignity and respect they need. The other factor guests must realize is that the crew lives on the ships. Although they must always carry a smile because they are in the customer service business. Maybe they are not feeling well on a particular day, have a sick relative at home etc. Anyway, enough said, but I wish guests would be more kind and understanding.

My wife and I will be on the September 14, 2017 Encore sailing embarking in Barcelona and are quite excited. We have previously been on Odyseey and Sojourn. We also enjoy other lines such as Crystal, Regent and Oceania. In response to the members who commented about passenger rudeness you are absolutely correct! The reason I mention the other upscale lines is because over the years we have also cruised on most of the mass market lines. For some reason there is a psychotic mindset that takes over with some people when they book a high end line that they need to act or behave a certain way. Perhaps for others it's just that these lines attract those with a gross sense of entitlement and no graciousness. We just returned home yesterday from the Oceania Marina (Northern Europe) and I was blown aware and embarrassed by the rudeness of some passengers. No "please", "thank you", "can I please have", "I would like", "how are you?", etc. Instead we often heard "SIR, SIR!", "GIVE ME", "I WANT", "MY WIFE NEEDS". Wow! My family and I watched in horror as one crew member after another was harassed by the rudeness of nasty, angry and abusive guests. Unfortunately, like me, many of these guests were from the United States. Makes me want to crawl under a chair and hide. Seems to be a very prevalent problem. I wish passengers/guests - especially while on vacation - would realize how fortunate and lucky they are to be able to sail a line like Seabourn and treat the hard working crew with the dignity and respect they need. The other factor guests must realize is that the crew lives on the ships. Although they must always carry a smile because they are in the customer service business. Maybe they are not feeling well on a particular day, have a sick relative at home etc. Anyway, enough said, but I wish guests would be more kind and understanding.

Yes, I do not know what possesses people to act that way. That was the only disappointing aspect of our otherwise fabulous cruise. We felt so sorry for the crew at times. Thankfully I did also overhear many "normal" people offering kind comments.

• 2 weeks later...