Dining Reservations

kntdds

I don't understand the overwhelming desire people have for tables for 2--and I am a pronounced introvert.

We have spent so much time together, we're not interested in dining alone--we can do that without leaving home. We will always forego a table for two in favour of sharing at a larger table. If we are first to the table, we'll even split ourselves up at the table so that we each get to sit beside two other people (though we do make sure we leave an even number of chairs between us--we're eccentric, not cruel.)

Certainly honeymoons, anniversaries, birthdays and other special occasions merit diner à deux but I'm much more interested in talking to new people over dinner than someone who I'll have plenty of time to talk to later! :)

I can never have enough time with my DH - especially when we are being served in such an elegant dining venue with great food, wine, etc. We never tire of each other's company. IMO, having dinner with people you don't know can be difficult. Subjects like politics, a list of illnesses that people have ......... discussions of this nature are not comfortable. On the other hand, we will dine with people we have met onboard - usually people that we have cruised with previously.

If we want to talk to new people, we talk them in the lounge. Sometimes "new people" become friends.

I can never have enough time with my DH - especially when we are being served in such an elegant dining venue with great food, wine, etc. We never tire of each other's company. IMO, having dinner with people you don't know can be difficult. Subjects like politics, a list of illnesses that people have ......... discussions of this nature are not comfortable. On the other hand, we will dine with people we have met onboard - usually people that we have cruised with previously.

If we want to talk to new people, we talk them in the lounge. Sometimes "new people" become friends.

Agreed. We sailed once on a line with assigned seating (table for 8) and there were some uncomfortable dinners. We often dine with other couples, but we prefer not to leave it to chance. We usually meet folks in the lounges or on excursions and extend invites to them (or vice-versa).

I don't understand the overwhelming desire people have for tables for 2--and I am a pronounced introvert.

We have spent so much time together, we're not interested in dining alone--we can do that without leaving home. We will always forego a table for two in favour of sharing at a larger table. If we are first to the table, we'll even split ourselves up at the table so that we each get to sit beside two other people (though we do make sure we leave an even number of chairs between us--we're eccentric, not cruel.)

Certainly honeymoons, anniversaries, birthdays and other special occasions merit diner à deux but I'm much more interested in talking to new people over dinner than someone who I'll have plenty of time to talk to later! :)

We barely see each other in our day to day life due to our business and professional commitments. We strive for a work life balance but at our age we're still working hard and trying to prepare (financially) for retirement which is many years ahead. So, our holiday time together is very precious.

I'm lucky that I can enjoy much more travel than my partner so I frequently go solo on cruises. That's when I enjoy larger tables. But when we're away together, we want quality time and most evenings that means we prefer a table for two.

Can someone please tell me how to book the spa in advance?

I did not know I could do that prior to boarding.

Thanks in advance.

Sharon

Greetings from South Beach, EAGLESLOVER. It is easy to book in advance. Just call Canyon Ranch Spa Club at Sea.

The number is : 1(877) 329-1924. I always book this way. When you board, if you don't find a confirmation, just call and confirm. Somehow, I never have a confirmation. I'm glad I read your post. It reminded me to book my appointment, Have a great cruise,

Mary

What a strange comment...some of us don't wish to sit through umpteen courses with people who may or may not be interesting. However, we wish to share our own company with choosing what we wish from the menu usually only a couple of courses and moving on to enjoy our evening without spending hours in the dining room.......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am in visagrunt's school. I usually travel with a friend, and while we enjoy one another's company, we both love the opportunity to get to know others that the open seating provides. Six-top is the ideal. It is hard to hear conversations at a table for 8, and a table for 4 is okay, but 6 people bring more conversational diversity. And, yes, I'm an introvert too (though I had a job that required that I not indulge that characteristic).

Except breakfast. Do not attempt conversation with me pre-coffee.

Agree 100%, if we want to dine with someone-we want to meet them ahead of time and get to know them a little better before we want to dine with someone. We'll never take a table with people we haven't met before dinner.

I just don't understand this fear about dining with someone you don't know. I mean it is just sitting down to lunch or dinner and meeting someone you might not otherwise ever meet. It isn't like you are auditioning them to be your best buddy. We always make a point of asking for a "share table" and while we have ended up with a few forgettable dinners, almost always we have had fantastic dinners with really interesting dinner partners. Most cruise passengers have led interesting lives and have seen a lot of the world. Shared stories of world adventures are often some of the most memorable parts of the voyage. We have made some really good friends as a result of sharing a table. I just think that those who refuse to share a table with strangers are just missing out on making some new friends. :)

carld, not a fear - just a personal preference. Some people are more social than others and some people aren't used to being with their spouse/significant other 24/7. As long as you are enjoying your cruise to the fullest, it's great!:D

I just don't understand this fear about dining with someone you don't know. I mean it is just sitting down to lunch or dinner and meeting someone you might not otherwise ever meet. ... I just think that those who refuse to share a table with strangers are just missing out on making some new friends.

For us, it's not "just sitting down to lunch or dinner". When we cruise, we look forward to each meal being special, and the two of us enjoying every lunch or dinner at our own pace without having the need to be social and make conversation with people we do not know.

My husband and I are from the same camp as many of you, I love to meet new people and have dinner with them. However, I rather have spend an hour at the bar first, spoke to each other at trivia, etc. Main reason is that we like to have a nice 2+ hour dinner most nights with a purchased bottle of wine. I really don't want to be paired up with a group/couple that want to get out of the dinning room in an hour to catch the show. (this last comment has nothing to do with how nice the people are, but that their dinner expectations and ours, may not match). On our first cruise years ago, we were at a table for two and there was another table for two next to us. After dinner was completed, we started talking and we closed the dining room down. Two days later we all had dinner together, because we knew they didn't want to be rushed either and we had a great conversation the day before that needed to be continued!

We are in the same camp as well. We are social all day long and meet lovely people but when it comes to dining we like our down time and eat at our own pace without engaging others in conversation. We will invite others that we have met on the cruise or previous cruises but we get to know them first.

When you share a table you never know how the meal will unfold and we don't like to feel uncomfortable if someone rubs you the wrong way. We don't want to hear about your bunions or look at pictures of your many grandchildren. We don't want to hear your political views as we get enough of that watching news channels and we can switch channels or turn it off. If I was a solo cruiser of course I would probably join a a solo's table but as long as I have my DH we will be a two top.

Interesting.

For me it is the exact opposite. It is almost impossible for me to meet new people socially during excursions, daytime activities or in bars. It is intensely uncomfortable for me, and I tend to gravitate to the people I have previously met at dinner. It is so much easier for me to meet people while we are sitting around a table together.

Just goes to show, all perspectives are valid perspectives. :)

Interesting that, whether pro or con, all couples' comments show a unified front ("we"). In other words, they are compatible in their preference. In my case, we cannot be any different. I have never met a stranger and love to share a table. However, The Boss is my polar opposite and would prefer a table for two unless we are sharing with someone we've met. As most folks who have met her can confirm, she is my sweet, quiet introvert happy as a lark as long as she has her Cosmo and is on a Regent cruise.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were able to book our dining just today for the Oct 27 Voyager cruise. Hubby and I like to mix it up, dining alone and sometimes with others. When I went to book, it looked like tables for 2 were only available at 9PM, a bit too late for us, so we booked for earlier, and to share. Officially starting to get excited.