Vancouver Airport to Whistler

We are sailing from Vancouver to Los Angeles September 25th. We arrive in Vancouver 8:50 a.m. on September 23rd and booked 2 nights in Whistler. What would be easier taking a shuttle or renting a car? We don't want to waste too much time so I prefer to leave from Vancouver Airport and go directly to Whistler and then From Whistler to the Cruise options. Not sure what shuttle services or car rental agencies offer this option. Your suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Renting a car would be more flexible and almost certainly cheaper - public parking isn't too bad up in Whistler even if you don't have a hotel reso with it included. Shuttles run $64pp one-way from YVR, $55pp from Whistler back to downtown Vancouver. Costco car rentals can be about $30 a day for a modest car with decent gas mileage - and you'll get to stop whenever and wherever you want to in both directions. Waterfalls, much better views than from Whistler itself (yes mountains are nice, but mountains and ocean are better!), some popular hiking routes (e.g. the Chief) and even a gondola ride are all potential stops.

Shuttle will get you back in time for the cruise - 6am and 9am departures both have plenty of padding. But a car - even collected right away at YVR with their hefty extra fees (22% IIRC) would still be better value. Choose the right fleet - Alamo/Budget - and you can drop off right at the pier, can't get much more convenient than that; but if rates are more than a few bucks more expensive than different company forget it as cab fare from nearest downtown office of any of the other major players would likely be $5!

Thank you. I'll go with the car rental. Alamo and Budget is 3x more expensive than other rental companies. Hertz is having a good deal for my dates, I think I will go with them and take a cab. Thanks for your advice. Just what I was looking for.

While a car rental sounds likely to be the right way to go in this situation due to the convenience factor, I came across a cheap shuttle service called Epic Rides while waiting for the missus to pick me up from work downtown. I googled them and they look pretty affordable: $35 (+tax) round trip. However, their end point is in downtown Vancouver by Burrard Skytrain station with a handful of departures each day.

While a car rental sounds likely to be the right way to go in this situation due to the convenience factor, I came across a cheap shuttle service called Epic Rides while waiting for the missus to pick me up from work downtown. I googled them and they look pretty affordable: $35 (+tax) round trip. However, their end point is in downtown Vancouver by Burrard Skytrain station with a handful of departures each day.

I didn't mention those guys as I thought I recalled them having extremely limited schedules outside ski season and no airport pickup - they actually have more than I thought so could be viable for OP and thanks for posting. Even paying a cab to get to their departure point would be very possibly cheaper than a car + gas at ~$35 (incl tip) plus the shuttle fare...

If the OP will email me - my email address is in my signature - I will put in in contact with a company that a regular coffee buddy of mine works for - he does airport to Whistler often and then brings people back to the cruise port - just put cruise in the subject line.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Dennis