Smoking Areas

Wonderingabout

We are considering a cruise on the Sojourn in October. This would be our first cruise with Seabourn. One of the primary issues holding us back from a commitment is that my wife smokes. Now that none of the cruise lines allow smoking on the verandas the choice of whether to take a cruise at all depends on accessibility to the allowed smoking areas. Our previous cruises have been with HA prior to their instituting their more restrictive smoking policies.

Given there are three smoking areas on the Sojourn this looks good but they all look like they require walking through indoor public areas and are far removed from the cabin areas.

I was wondering about from other smokers how they view the access to the smoking areas? Ie hard to access in the middle of the night when my wife might want to smoke and she is already set for bed. How dressed up would be appropriate to get to the smoking areas?

Since the starboard side of the Sky Bar deck 9 is designated for smoking she can use that area without wandering though public rooms -- especially if you book a suite on deck 9 or (or 8 or 10 ) forward. All she has to do is throw on a t shirt and pair of shorts if she is going to be up there late at night or very early in the morning -- hopefully she won't wander out there in her bathrobe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

We were recently on the Encore, and, to my knowledge, there were two smoking areas--one near the Sky Bar and another on another deck. To be honest, I want to tell you what we heard while onboard. While we never brought up the topic of smoking, several passengers mentioned it to us and said that they thought the entire ship should be made nonsmoking. They resented valuable deck space being taken up by a few smokers. It appears that most Seaboard passengers are NOT smokers and so resent the smokers--as they may find themselves walking past the smoking areas.

I did witness people smoking in the smoking areas---always alone and looking a bit forlorn.

I do know that Holland America allows smoking in its cabins (as they say that they have no nonsmoking rooms and clean all thorough after each cruise). Perhaps your wife would be more comfortable on a Holland America cruise?

I am just afraid she might feel out of place on a Seaboard cruise as very very few passengers seem to have the smoking habit.

There are three smoking areas on Encore - all outdoors on the starboard side. All have at least partial overhead cover.

1. Next to the Sky Bar (Deck 10)

2. On deck aft of Seabourn Square (Deck 7)

3. On deck aft of The Club (Deck 5)

Except for the usual (thankfully small) number of "anti-smoking fanatics" everyone on our recent Encore cruise seemed to think the arrangement is reasonable for smokers and minimally intrusive for nonsmokers.

To be fair, I think it is unfair to speak of anti smoking fanatics. Many people (especially older people) have real sensitivity to cigarette smoke and can get asthma and other distressful conditions upon contact with the smoke. This is a serious issue--and not a ANTI issue. And most people who do not smoke do not enjoy being exposed to it---at all.

At the risk of starting one of "those discussions..."

There are three small smoking areas. If sensitivity and "distressful conditions" are an issue those areas are easily avoidable with no loss of freedom to enjoy the cruise. As both one of those "older people" and a smoker I find that Seabourn balances the interests of both groups as well as can (or should) be expected.

Seabourn is dealing with a touchy issue among groups of longtime customers with differing perspectives and degrees of tolerance. I think both "ANTI" and "fanatic" nicely describe those on any side of any argument who refuse to accept any compromise; those are the people to whom I was referring and, as I said, the number is thankfully small.

End of rant.

Holland America DOES NOT allow smoking in cabins or on verandas. I believe there is a $250 fine if found smoking in either location. However, on the Noordam there is a Cigar Lounge in a separate room ( outside the Crows Nest ) into which I peeked this summer to find one single lady smoking her cigarette. She did not look happy but she was smoking alone.

Ok, What I had read earlier was not current information. This is what the current situation seems to be on Holland America: http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/With-HAL-ban-balcony-smoking-tamped-out-on-nearly-all-lines

About compromise, I don't know any nonsmoker who would not prefer all ships to be totally smoke free. The simple fact is that exposure to smoke is not always avoidable and is a serious health risk for many. To not recognize that is to be in denial.

Edited by SLSD

We are considering a cruise on the Sojourn in October. This would be our first cruise with Seabourn. One of the primary issues holding us back from a commitment is that my wife smokes. Now that none of the cruise lines allow smoking on the verandas the choice of whether to take a cruise at all depends on accessibility to the allowed smoking areas. Our previous cruises have been with HA prior to their instituting their more restrictive smoking policies.

Given there are three smoking areas on the Sojourn this looks good but they all look like they require walking through indoor public areas and are far removed from the cabin areas.

I was wondering about from other smokers how they view the access to the smoking areas? Ie hard to access in the middle of the night when my wife might want to smoke and she is already set for bed. How dressed up would be appropriate to get to the smoking areas?

Why not consider cruising with Silversea, where smokers are not only catered for but with the exception of a very small minority of anti smoking zealots, well tolerated.

The new Silver Muse has a large humidor, with comfortable arm chairs, with an outside deck area. Smoking is also allowed on one side of the pool deck, at the back of the Panorama Lounge outside, and also on one side of the outside of the Terrazza restaurant.

Similar arrangements apply to all the SS classic fleet.

And whilst I am not a smoker I'm married to one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the replies. My ship has sailed.

SLSD there is no need to worry I will not be on your sailing.

My intention was not to create a smoking thread or non-smoking thread only to obtain knowledge about the smoking areas.

Two misstated supposed facts.

I do not smoke and never have smoked. I can not say I find the smell of burning cigarettes appealing. But I have no qualms about people who do smoke ie my wife. I would never think that my rights should have priority over the rights of the other passengers on a ship but then again I believe all people were created equal. So the statement that all people who do not smoke are not prejudiced against smokers is wrong.

Second as I stated in my original post Holland America does not allow smoking in their rooms and on their verandas and this was why I was looking to other cruise lines.

I'm sorry if I offended by my posts about smoking. As someone whose asthma can be suddenly triggered by cigarette smoke, I tend to be overly sensitive on this topic. My apologies.

(By the way, this is a sincere apology. I can imagine that it may be just as difficult to be a smoker as it is to have asthma. )

To.once again,answer the OP's original question, concerning the ability to access a smoking area when already in ones jimjams, you need to have a suite on deck 8 or 9, to easily access the smoking area outside at the Sky bar without being seen by (many) others in the middle of the night! Preferably a suite near the access to the Skybar area. Ideally put on a robe over the nightwear.

I