Extending into the next cruise segment

wolfmanstl

If you mean extending while onboard, I am not sure if it's possible on the cruise line you are taking. Most mainstream cruise lines usually sail as fully booked, including the next segment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...and with most mass market cruise lines I highly doubt that there would be any discount for cruising on the next itinerary. Perhaps you would receive some amount of on board credit for booking while on board but that would likely be all you would receive. They would charge you whatever the prevailing rate is for any available staterooms, which also would be very limited.

On HAL, I have booked what are called by the Company "Collector's Cruises" as well as other back to back cruise not so designated. I did this, however, prior to departure for the first cruise. Did I receive a somewhat lower price as compared to the two cruises combined? Yes, I did.

I have had the opportunity on occasion, once onboard, to extend the cruise at a reduced, attractive price. I have never been able to take advantage of such an offer due to my post-cruise plans.

I have done this on HAL, to tack on an extra few days to my itinerary (turned an end of season 7 day AK sailing into a 12 day AK and pacific coastal) can't recall any discount. This was 4 years ago.

There likely won't be rooms to book unless the next segment is a repositioning cruise. Easier to just book a back to back cruise if you're looking at going through the same itinerary twice.[/quote]

And there are a number of cruise lines and ships where the B2B itineraries are different, such as Oasis class ships on RCI, that alternate Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries every other week. So a B2B in that case would include two different itineraries.

But as indicated by many of us, booking a B2B on board the first itinerary is pretty chancy regarding availability and would not likely result in a lower price.

There likely won't be rooms to book unless the next segment is a repositioning cruise. Easier to just book a back to back cruise if you're looking at going through the same itinerary twice.

And this was precisely how I was able to do this in the above mentioned post. It was a repositioning segment.

Last year Carnival had a 21 day Journeys cruise that was sold in two segments. The 'center' port was San Juan.

We sailed the first segment (10 days) and disembarked in San Juan.

As it turned out, there were discounted rates for passengers who were disembarking in San Juan to extend their trip for the last part of the itinerary (ending in Miami). We did not learn of this until the day we left the ship.

We had other plans, but the point is that it was possible because the second half of the itinerary was not 'sold out'.

So there is no hard and fast rule on this. And the example is rather unique.

The big trick is to be available to jump on the opportunity. Not easy for most cruisers.

As others have noted, this scenario is rare, so chances are slim that you will be able to do it.

Many, many years ago when a couple of new HAL ships came out (around 2004), they were not sailing completely full.

HAL did offer some people if they wanted to stay on for another cruise at a discount rate.

I haven't seen anything like that since that time. The ships are sailing full.

We have done quite a few Collector Cruises on HAL -- booking what used to be called Back-2-Back cruises where back then you had 2 reservation confirmations. With Collector Cruises you only have 1 confirmation number. We got about a 1 - 2% savings on the Collector Cruises.

It would not be an "extension" but a "booking"; otherwise, no problem; provided of course there are unsold cabins at the time you start looking. A last minute booking is a last minute booking - whether you are doing it from home or from a ship which happens to be the one you are trying to book.

You probably would not be able to get the same cabin - and it would not be an extension of the finite itinerary you were already enjoying. And, I am sure you would pay the same fare as would anyone booking from home.

But yes, it is conceivable that you could extend a shipboard experience.

Has anyone extended their cruise into the next segment before your current segment ended? What percentage discount of the next segment rate can one expect to pay? Thanks

Most likely no discount, but could vary with cruise line and passenger load on the next cruise.

There likely won't be rooms to book unless the next segment is a repositioning cruise. Easier to just book a back to back cruise if you're looking at going through the same itinerary twice.

Good point, many times those have empty inside staterooms.

If you most definitely want the next segment I would always book it in advance.

It's not just about occupancy but also about not having to move rooms.

In addition if air is involved you wouldn't want to have to revise your flights due to cost by waiting till you are on the ship.

Keith

Has anyone extended their cruise into the next segment before your current segment ended? What percentage discount of the next segment rate can one expect to pay? Thanks

you can't unless there are open cabins and the on board team can snag them. there wont be any discount