Can't get a decent G&T

Giggling here! Too funny! You'll actually have 2 tutors ( T&L....J won't touch...vodka all the way!). We're counting on you for help with ta kill ya shots!

But kidding aside (are we kidding?! haha!) I'll be happy to give some other gins a test drive. I don't know what else Regent has in stock. Part of TC's assignment on upcoming cruise!

Hmmm, maybe we can try one shot a day? Will check out gin when we board the Mariner August 30th but it won't be the same without you two onboard. What was the name of the bartender where we held our "meetings" daily on Explorer (the one at the Pool Bar)? Some Explorer crew members are on different ships at the moment and I'd like to look for him. BTW, Risky will be onboard so you know whose section we'll be dining in each night when we are in CR.

My goal for this cruise is to eat fish, fish and more fish, After all, Canada and Alaska have some incredible fish! On "our" November cruise, I'm pretty open to anything but would prefer not to eat piranha and definitely won't try iguana. Wondering what we'll be dining on when we do the private excursion. Should be interesting.

What?! No iguana?! I thought that was going to be a highlight in CR!! (huge giggle, lest I terrify everyone!) I would actually try piranha.

Peter, last name I don't know....pool bartender. I'm tempted to say Croatian? something like that? Maybe? He did a fabulous job. We're going to need a good "bar keep" for the Amazon!

What?! No iguana?! I thought that was going to be a highlight in CR!! (huge giggle, lest I terrify everyone!) I would actually try piranha.

Peter, last name I don't know....pool bartender. I'm tempted to say Croatian? something like that? Maybe? He did a fabulous job. We're going to need a good "bar keep" for the Amazon!

Iguana? You can only eat that in Tijuana, and it has to be barbecued. :cool:

We took a land tour in Costa Rica several years ago that gave us our first zip-lining experience. First we went to an area with lots of iguanas. They were so cute! Then we went on a hike and ended up zip-lining (it probably would have been considered unsafe nowadays but it was fun at the time). After the zip-lining it was time for lunch. The most popular dish was iguana. I was appalled. While I eat escargot and many other exotic things, iguana just wasn't something that I wanted to see cooked - no less eat. So, if there is iguana on the menu in the Amazon, you can count me out!

My point was that gin drinks seem to go better in warmer climates - I know a LOT more gin fans here in SC than I did in CO. Me, I'm happy with pretty much any of the brown ones...

:whiskey-glass:

Lived 4 yrs in Yorkshire. Whiskey, i.e. Scotch in American English, No. 1 distilled product. Gin, No. 2. Lived in Texas, North Carolina, Georgia, California, and Florida and am a gin afficiando. Having said that, we all are gifted with different tastes. Enjoy your favorite brewed, fermented or distilled beverage to the fullest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Lived 4 yrs in Yorkshire. Whiskey, i.e. Scotch in American English, No. 1 distilled product. Gin, No. 2. Lived in Texas, North Carolina, Georgia, California, and Florida and am a gin afficiando. Having said that, we all are gifted with different tastes. Enjoy your favorite brewed, fermented or distilled beverage to the fullest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

If you were in Yorkshire now, you'd find yourself drowning in gin! It is the drink of the moment and there are scores of local varieties. Gin bars, gin tastings - and all sorts of foul flavoured tonics to go with it. Don't often get the weather to go with it though....

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Seabourn Encore in the Med. Main barkeepers at their skybar and observation bar both said most popular drink by far on the ship was G&T. Horses for courses I suppose, as this drink is probably more popular in Europe than in US. My next cruise is Xmas/New Year in the Caribbean on Explorer where it will doubtless be something else entirely. I might even give a pina colada a try, even although it is something I would never drink at home. :)

I don't think ANYONE drinks pina coladas at home!!! haha! I think many of us have had them in the Caribbean or on board, but even following the directions perfectly at home, they never taste the same. Same goes for a "Bellini-tini" (Crystal), I've tried.....can't make it the same! Figure you can't go wrong with a Hendrik's and cuke!

Just back from Seabourn Encore in the Med. Main barkeepers at their skybar and observation bar both said most popular drink by far on the ship was G&T. Horses for courses I suppose, as this drink is probably more popular in Europe than in US. My next cruise is Xmas/New Year in the Caribbean on Explorer where it will doubtless be something else entirely. I might even give a pina colada a try, even although it is something I would never drink at home. :)

Curious if there were a lot of Europeans onboard as this seems to be their drink of choice. Regent does not carry many brands of gin (or rum) but have many choices of vodka, some Irish whiskey, etc.

mudhen - will definitely try Hendricks in November. This last cruise was too short and I didn't want to miss my Mexican Butterfly at lunch:evilsmile:

Curious if there were a lot of Europeans onboard as this seems to be their drink of choice. Regent does not carry many brands of gin (or rum) but have many choices of vodka, some Irish whiskey, etc.

mudhen - will definitely try Hendricks in November. This last cruise was too short and I didn't want to miss my Mexican Butterfly at lunch:evilsmile:

Reading your post reminded me how Regent's rum selection is so pathetically poor. I am very anti-Bacardi when it comes to a rum and coke, and prefer Don Q instead which is hard to find in most of the states. Also, I don't ever recall seeing any sipping rums such as Zacapa, Centenario, etc., with the exception of a premium one called Pyrate (excellent). I have requested my favorite rum in advance and Regent has been gracious enough to provide it, but it goes down so fast, I end up wanting more.

Z and TB

I am on board Voyager next week and kicking myself that I have not put in a special request for Fever Tree tonic. Is it too late to do it now?

Also, I have recently returned from a trip to Peru and a broad range of Gins were available including FeverTree tonic.

Come on Regent, keep up with the current trends!

Neil

I am on board Voyager next week and kicking myself that I have not put in a special request for Fever Tree tonic. Is it too late to do it now?

Also, I have recently returned from a trip to Peru and a broad range of Gins were available including FeverTree tonic.

Come on Regent, keep up with the current trends!

Neil

It is likely too late unless your ship is near a port where they could possibly go out and purchase some. Regent needs between 30 and 60 days to meet special requests (sometimes shorter - it really depends upon where the ship is at the time). For better or worse, Fever Tree tonic is not a trend in the U.S. It is available in some stores but is very pricey compared to other brands. At least one CC'er tried it and it wasn't to her taste. Apparently there are different varieties but, as mentioned, you are lucky to see it at all in U.S. stores. This may be one "hot trend" that hit the U.K. before the U.S.

Have a great cruise!

It's not a G & T, but if you ever find yourself at the Intercontinental Hotel in San Francisco (Howard Street location) they have a drink at their bar called the "Bee's Knees" which is delicious! Description reads "Distillery No 209 Gin, freshly squeezed lemon juice, honey syrup. We managed to recreate it at home, after doing a google search for a honey syrup recipe.

Although I don't care for gin, the honey could subdue the Christmas tree flavor and could be quite tasty.

Z, the one thing that I don't mind Bacardi in is Long Island Iced Tea ... because you can't taste it.

I find it interesting that there are very few tequila choices but they have Patron and Don Julio ... both good IMO.

It is likely too late unless your ship is near a port where they could possibly go out and purchase some. Regent needs between 30 and 60 days to meet special requests (sometimes shorter - it really depends upon where the ship is at the time). For better or worse, Fever Tree tonic is not a trend in the U.S. It is available in some stores but is very pricey compared to other brands. At least one CC'er tried it and it wasn't to her taste. Apparently there are different varieties but, as mentioned, you are lucky to see it at all in U.S. stores. This may be one "hot trend" that hit the U.K. before the U.S.

Have a great cruise!

I don't understand how anyone could be unaware of the Fevertree and gin trend that has been going on in the US for YEARS. I'm a gin fan, so maybe it's just that I have been paying attention on this subject. The good thing is that unlike bourbon, which became trendy a few years ago, there don't seem to be any resulting shortages. Just tons of new brands of gin, new bars focusing on gin based cocktails, and restaurants centered around gin paired foods. My favorite for the last 5 years or so has been the St. George terroir gin with the naturally light version of Fever Tree though the Indian and elderflower are good with other gins. The great thing about this seemingly worldwide love affair with gin for a gin lover is the ability to try new gins and new cocktails wherever your travels take you. We've found favorite gins and gin bars from coast to coast in the US. I was just turned on to a new tonic in Vancouver, CA last weekend that I can't now recall the name of (!) and Cork gin in Ireland a couple of months ago. We were told by a few folks that Cork wasn't considered "high end" or small batch so it wasn't that popular. But we can't get it in the US, so it was a treat. There are a few other high end tonics I need to try, but Fevertree is so widely available in stores, bars and restaurants that it's a convenient taste to have acquired.

And the bees knees is a classic cocktail that a lot of bartenders will happily make you, so if you loved it be sure and ask for it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a confirmed vodka drinker for many years, I was pretty skeptical about gin....until our daughter and son in law (Newport, RI and sailing elite) turned us on to Hendrick's. WOW! Great drink! BUT, to be honest, I only learned of Fever Tree from this board. We live in the somewhat "boonies" of NY state and no one up here has heard of it. In doing a search, the only place that stocks it is Walmart.....go figure! My bud and I tried the FT with Hendrick's and honestly didn't care for it. A lot going on with both the gin and the tonic. IMO, they competed with each other and I thought the FT was pretty sweet. HOWEVER, we tried the FT with vodka....now that was wonderful! I don't know what other gins we'll find on the Mariner in Nov. but it would be a great place to try some different ones!

I don't understand how anyone could be unaware of the Fevertree and gin trend that has been going on in the US for YEARS. I'm a gin fan, so maybe it's just that I have been paying attention on this subject. The good thing is that unlike bourbon, which became trendy a few years ago, there don't seem to be any resulting shortages. Just tons of new brands of gin, new bars focusing on gin based cocktails, and restaurants centered around gin paired foods. My favorite for the last 5 years or so has been the St. George terroir gin with the naturally light version of Fever Tree though the Indian and elderflower are good with other gins. The great thing about this seemingly worldwide love affair with gin for a gin lover is the ability to try new gins and new cocktails wherever your travels take you. We've found favorite gins and gin bars from coast to coast in the US. I was just turned on to a new tonic in Vancouver, CA last weekend that I can't now recall the name of (!) and Cork gin in Ireland a couple of months ago. We were told by a few folks that Cork wasn't considered "high end" or small batch so it wasn't that popular. But we can't get it in the US, so it was a treat. There are a few other high end tonics I need to try, but Fevertree is so widely available in stores, bars and restaurants that it's a convenient taste to have acquired.

And the bees knees is a classic cocktail that a lot of bartenders will happily make you, so if you loved it be sure and ask for it.

Yes. We have been drinking Gin and FeverTree for years here on the East Coast.

As a confirmed vodka drinker for many years, I was pretty skeptical about gin....until our daughter and son in law (Newport, RI and sailing elite) turned us on to Hendrick's. WOW! Great drink! BUT, to be honest, I only learned of Fever Tree from this board. We live in the somewhat "boonies" of NY state and no one up here has heard of it. In doing a search, the only place that stocks it is Walmart.....go figure! My bud and I tried the FT with Hendrick's and honestly didn't care for it. A lot going on with both the gin and the tonic. IMO, they competed with each other and I thought the FT was pretty sweet. HOWEVER, we tried the FT with vodka....now that was wonderful! I don't know what other gins we'll find on the Mariner in Nov. but it would be a great place to try some different ones!

Think that I'm going to use the "straw method" that bartenders use on our November cruise. Every time you get a drink, I'll put my straw in for a taste:evilsmile:

You might try Fentimens tonic with Hendricks. I haven't tried Fentimen's yet, but learned of it on these boards as well. Makes me feel like I'm in the right place. ;). I'll admit I'm not a Hendricks fan. I just don't like cucumbers. Fever tree also has a few different varietals that might work. But if you live in a rural area that doesn't have tonic options, as long as they have one that you enjoy, why go mess with it, right? It is fun while on vacation to play around with new drinks and maybe find one you'd like to make your go to at home. Or finding a drink to help use up that weird bottle of liquor you bought. We have a rye gin that seemed like an interesting idea, but we have yet to find anything it works in. We also haven't found a bar tender that has any recommendations for it. Guess we'll have to keep traveling. ;)