Upgrade Offer - Am I Missing Something?

tgg

We are sailing on the Mariner on August 30 (H guarantee) from Vancouver to San Francisco. I received this upgrade offer from Regent via my travel agent today:

"We would like to present a limited time opportunity to experience the added luxury of a suite upgrade at a special price for your booking referenced above. Availability is extremely limited and is on a strictly first-come, first-served basis!

Upgrade to a CONCIERGE SUITE $175 pp Prices are per person based on double occupancy.

This offer is cruise-only and does not provide air class of service upgrades or refunds. Guests who purchase a discounted upgrade from categories F-H are NOT eligible for free hotel or any other concierge level benefits, such as priority online shore excursion and dining reservations, and 15 minutes phone time, nor discounts on land arrangements or on premium wine and liquor. "

The suites are the same size. The only benefit I can see if being able to choose a deck location. Am I missing something?

Being able to choose your room, instead of taking pot luck as to whether you'll be assigned a bad location (too far forward or aft, over or under a noisy area) certainly should be worth $175 pp. Many of the concierge suites are in the middle of the ship. Is it worth paying for concierge suites with your initial booking? In my opinion, no. But getting a E for the price of an H, plus $175, is probably a bargain. Location, location, location.

We are sailing on the Mariner on August 30 (H guarantee) from Vancouver to San Francisco. I received this upgrade offer from Regent via my travel agent today:

"We would like to present a limited time opportunity to experience the added luxury of a suite upgrade at a special price for your booking referenced above. Availability is extremely limited and is on a strictly first-come, first-served basis!

Upgrade to a CONCIERGE SUITE $175 pp Prices are per person based on double occupancy.

This offer is cruise-only and does not provide air class of service upgrades or refunds. Guests who purchase a discounted upgrade from categories F-H are NOT eligible for free hotel or any other concierge level benefits, such as priority online shore excursion and dining reservations, and 15 minutes phone time, nor discounts on land arrangements or on premium wine and liquor. "

The suites are the same size. The only benefit I can see if being able to choose a deck location. Am I missing something?

The suites are not the same size. The concierge class are much bigger than an H stateroom.

I received another upsell from Regent today - and it is the same as the original offer. When I asked my TA why this had been sent to me twice, she said that she is obligated to forward any offer Regent makes.

Because neither of us is bothered by the motion of the ocean, and because this is an Alaska cruise and I'm not worried about being under the pool deck, I've once again passed on the offer.

It will be interesting to see where they decide to put us. I paid for an "H" at a great price and will be happy anywhere.

I received another upsell from Regent today - and it is the same as the original offer. When I asked my TA why this had been sent to me twice, she said that she is obligated to forward any offer Regent makes.

Because neither of us is bothered by the motion of the ocean, and because this is an Alaska cruise and I'm not worried about being under the pool deck, I've once again passed on the offer.

It will be interesting to see where they decide to put us. I paid for an "H" at a great price and will be happy anywhere.

Really hope that you post after your cruise. Our experience being under the pool deck was not a good one. Not sure from reading your posts whether your current suite is under the pool deck or the one that was offered to you is. In any case, I would avoid any suite under the pool deck (based on a lot of experience on Regent).

Another point that I would like to make is that the seas between Vancouver and San Francisco can be extremely rough (based on experience). The Mariner, IOO (I our opinion) is the most stable ship in the Regent fleet so most suites should be fine!

It's 5 days before we sail and I found out today that we'll be in a "D" concierge cabin on deck 10. (I still have trouble calling one room a suite:confused:)

I'm glad to have saved $350 on the upsell. Nice cabin for a first time Regent sailing. I look forward to discovering how different Regent is from Oceania, Azamara, and Seabourn.