Laundry

ronrick1943

At the risk of being chastised, TC you do fan the flames and keep the embers glowing when people diasagree and I have seen many that disagree with you. If you leave the thread alone is will disappear into the abyss. Make your final opinion and be done with it. No sense in stewing about what others write. The going back and forth, nobody has the last word and nobody wins. Very sophomoric IMHO.

You do offer good advice to new cruisers but some of these threads can turn people away from Regent as they are afraid they may encounter issues with others which is certainly not the case onboard. It really is a disservice to Regent when all this bickering is going on in a public site.

Purplelady1: Just debating - sometimes it does fan the flames but, IMO, there should not be flaming in the first place. Posters should discuss topics - not make comments about individuals. In any case, most of the time I ignore the people that have nothing to add to the conversation and whose desire seems to be to create chaos.

Actually, I have no last word -- I said what I wanted to say a few posts back. Unfortunately, when I try to help new posters, the arguers seem to follow. Thanks for your input!

Actually, the "one bag of laundry per 7 night cruise" applies to gold level SSS members like us. Haven't figured out what they do on 10 night cruises! I don't want to damage the benefits of higher level cruisers. But on the Paul Gauguin (used to be a Regent/Radisson ship but not now) a laundry package is offered that is less expensive than the "per piece" rate for those of us who want to send all laundry out. Actually, we cruised MSC three times for music cruises, and that line offered a similar pre-paid laundry package. And MSC isn't a line up to Regent's standards -- although their Yacht Club comes very close. So I basically I would like for Regent to offer a "laundry package" at cost but less than per piece rates to every guest -- even those below the highest SSS levels. If appropriate, Regent should then offer the highest SSS level guests some compensating benefits. Free excursions that are at charge to everybody else comes to mind as a possible high level SSS benefit.

I don't want to start an argument about the need (or not) for full laundry service on cruises. We think it is needed at a more reasonable cost. But with Regent's ever-increasing fares, I don't think we will be cruising Regent very often in the future. So what we think, want, and need is probably not relevant.

Dolebludger - you have the best answer of all (IMHO). Oceania has a minimal charge for a bag of laundry which their guests are happy with. I have no problem with that whatsoever (even for first time cruisers).

If you read "O" cruises---we'll starting soon all cruisers on "O" will get 3 bags of laundry per cruise "FREE". I have one cruise booked and they just added that as a perk. And that cruise is sold out right now (a year away). So I guess it's a perk now on "O". Rick

Travelcat 2,

Anything but a per piece rate would be an improvement on Regent. After all, I find Regent cruises to be excellent, but becoming too expensive. After I book most Regent cruises, and pay for hotel the night before (and maybe the night after), and book decent air (first or business) for rather long domestic legs for us, and upgrade from the basic suite just a little, I have spent over 40% of the cost of my new car! Not a cheap car either. A Mercedes-Benz, and not close to the cheapest one of those either. If it lasts for us as long as our last Mercedes-Benz it will be with us for 14 years, not 10 to 14 nights. So to be required to pay a per piece rate for laundry may just be "the straw that broke the camel's back" when it comes to frequent Regent cruising like we used to do.

I really don't want to generate a fuss, but airline luggage charges and decreased weight limits have made getting laundry done on the cruise more important. We have to take less clothing for a cruise. And some of us are aging and can't schlep around as much luggage as in the past. Regent has recognized the problem to a degree by getting rid of mandatory formal nights. Regent does have self-service laundries that sometimes are adequate (and sometimes not) but who wants to do laundry on a cruise? Particularly one at Regent's prices.

Sorry for the long post. I certainly don't want to see the benefits for Platinum and Titanium members of the SSS degraded. And I know that some of the problems (financial and physical) have been brought on by the airlines and not Regent. But on a 14 night Paul Gauguin cruise, we took the laundry package and had everything done for around $140. On a 10 night music cruise in MSC's Yacht club, full laundry was about $70 -- all for the two of us. If Oceana is comping 3 bags of laundry for all guests, that would indeed be a massive improvement for Regent -- provided they are not those tiny bags Regent is using now. And if Regent were to do that, I certainly think they should give you Platinum and Titanium level SSS members some extra perks!

If you read "O" cruises---we'll starting soon all cruisers on "O" will get 3 bags of laundry per cruise "FREE". I have one cruise booked and they just added that as a perk. And that cruise is sold out right now (a year away). So I guess it's a perk now on "O". Rick

Good for Oceania ....... however, Regent isn't Oceania and I believe that Regent's loyalty benefits are better overall. It is important to note that Oceania does not have "true" included excursions and the good excursions cost up to three times more than what Regent charges. Also, Oceania is not inclusive, does have a Premium Alcohol package costing about $70/day/person and, for those that pay for drinks, they are very overpriced and have an 18% gratuity added. Oceania also is more class-oriented than Regent (with priority boarding for upper category passengers, mid-level category categories and low-category categories).

When we last sailed on Oceania's Riviera, the laundry came back overly washed (i.e. washed so strongly that a new shirt looked like it had been washed 10 times). Also, the returned items were not on hangers but folded which meant they were wrinkled. I cannot compare included laundry on Regent with the $20 bag ($20 at the time - it has gone up since) that was offered on Oceania. I can only imagine what a "free" back of laundry would look like.

I may sound a bit harsh but you likely do not know the history between Oceania and Regent. When PCH purchased Regent, it appeared to many Regent regulars that Oceania's policies were being forced upon Regent and we were not happy. After all, even Frank Del Rio states that Regent is their luxury brand - not Oceania, so why should Oceania's policies be inflicted on Regent? So, although the Concierge program remained (unfortunately), Regent customers effectively voiced out opinions so loudly that the different boarding times only went into effect for less than a month and then was cancelled (much to the joy of all of us).

So, the bottom line for me is that I don't care what Oceania does and Oceania customers should not care what Regent does. IMO, Oceania is a very good cruise line but isn't for us. In a way it is too bad as the upper suites on the Riviera are absolutely amazing - the service is equal to Regent - the food in specialty restaurants is really good....... but....... the policies are not to our taste, the Happy Hour on Oceania is a crowded mess, the food in the MDR and Terrace Cafe is bountiful but subpar from a quality standpoint and the ships even have inside cabins (as do mainstream cruise lines).

TC2, sorry but I think you miss the point. No one wants Regent to be "O". And perks are perks---people cruise for their own reasons. The reason Regent added Diamond, Commodore is because once you reach Platinum or Titanium that's for life and they need a reason for you to come back and not try another line.

However for Regent to attract new cruiser, Regent needs added perks for cruisers to try Regent. We don't drink, so that perk isn't important to us and big savings to Regent. We don't over tour, so could pass on that one too. But the over all experience of Regent is what I'm looking for.....And as we get older we don't eat has much, but we do want the food to be very good and service outstanding. I think we all have to realize the older we get (and I mean older) the less we may cruise, so we're not really Regents future for planning years out---Regent has to look at what Regent will be in 10-20 years if they want to be the cruise line of choice.

If you read the Regent "Laundry Post" you'll see that your in the minority on this one, and Regent should be listening to the majority for their marketing to bring in cruisers. I also hope Regent reads this post. This will be my last post on this subject. Rick

One of my points is that the bag of free laundry for gold passengers is new. And, as mentioned, Regent is adding two new levels next year. So, Regent is improving their program (which is already better than most luxury cruise lines)

As I said, having laundry bag specials isn't a bad idea.

Have to chuckle about my being in the minority. Would like to hear from a dozen or so Platinum and Titanium customers. I also hope that Regent is reading this.

I completely agree with ronrick1943 on this point. A loyalty program is wonderful and those perks should always remain, but Regent also needs to attract new cruisers to the line and perks are important to a consumer. We stayed in a grand suite on our last voyage and would have really appreciated a laundry perk. We didn't take advantage of listed perks available to us (in suite cocktail party, in suite caviar set up) but obviously would have taken advantage of free laundry if it were offered. As long as loyalty perks are not taken away from longtime customers, I don't understand why this is an issue at all.

Rather than asking that perks of the higher loyalty statuses be denied to others, how about Regent re-thinking those perks? Crystal, for example offers OBCs at certain milestones, and free cruises at higher milestones.

This is not to poo-poo (is that a word?) the benefits offered by Regent. I do find value in many of the items they offer, but their approach is not the only one out there.

Minority?

TC 11/OPs 24 and, I would assume we're still not done.

Please ignore this:)

Again, my point is that the question should be asked of Platinum and Titanium passengers. If anyone asked me if I would like free laundry when I was silver or gold, of course I'd give every possible reason why I think that it should be done. Would I think that Regent would give away free laundry, based on their loyalty benefit program, the answer is a resounding no. Just being realistic.

morneau, IMO, if you give everything away, there is no reason to be loyal to a cruise line. Don't you think that Regent has enough reasons (above that what is offered by competing cruise lines) to draw new customers? No other cruise line offers included Business Class air and as many included excursions as Regent does.

Generally speaking, the only things that you get for being gold status (above that of being silver which only gives you priority reservations, free garment pressing of up to two items/person and one hour of phone time) is a newspaper, additional phone time time, two log-ins for the computer and 1 bag of laundry every 7 nights. Then when you get to platinum, besides additional phone time, you only get laundry, leather luggage tags and free air deviation (which, IMO, is the to important benefit).

So far free internet (one log-in) has been given to everyone and now there is a hope that laundry will be given away as well. This seriously dilutes the long term loyalty benefits.

Again, my point is that the question should be asked of Platinum and Titanium passengers. If anyone asked me if I would like free laundry when I was silver or gold, of course I'd give every possible reason why I think that it should be done. Would I think that Regent would give away free laundry, based on their loyalty benefit program, the answer is a resounding no. Just being realistic.

TC2, I wasn't going to respond to this post. But do you read what you post. "my point is that the question should be asked of Platinum and Titanium passengers" your words. Do you really think Platinum and Titanium are Regents only cruisers? They couldn't fill Regent Ship with only Platinum & Titanium's--they need to fill ships and they need new cruisers to do that. Like I said before they should value Platinum & Titanium's, but they aren't the future of Regent because most of this group of cruisers won't be cruising in the next 10-20 years. Sorry but this is being real! Adding perks to buy a cruise doesn't hurt others, but it helps. Rick (Now know matter what you write, this is my last post or this).

ronrick,

As a gold member I was not asking for free unlimited laundry. I was merely suggesting a laundry package at a bit lower price than the per piece price for folks like us. Paul Guguin does it and so dos MSC. O's three bags per cruise and you pay per piece for anything over than might work out well. Not wanting to diminish higher SSS levels bit!

Rick,,

Apparently you are missing my point as well. Agree that Platinum and Titanium passengers will not fill up ships. However, many regular passengers look forward to achieving the next level for the added benefits (and some do not), We never expected to become gold - didn't give it a thought until we were close to that milestone. Becoming Platinum was important for the included laundry and deviation.

The issue of drawing young people to Regent has been discussed for years. They do not seem to have a problem in this area for the reasons that I mentioned (included international business class air and excursions). Prior to having included excursions, due to the economy, all luxury cruise lines were looking for ways to fill their ships. Regent found the way.

Do you realize how much money customers pay to reach these levels (whether you are in the lowest or highest category)? These benefits cost Regent money and many of us are finding Regent's fares are getting extremely high. Adding any level of included laundry will raise fares even higher. How much more per day are Regent customers willing to pay for included laundry (included in the fare)?

Perhaps Regent should ask customers if they prefer included air, included excursions OR 3 bags of included laundry. This would save Regent a whole lot of money. OTOH, Dolebludger's idea of discounted laundry (not sure what criteria they would use) isn't bad.

While I'm happy to end this thread at any time, for those of you that are getting tired of it, I suggest that you not click on the clink. There are many more interesting threads to be looking at.

P.S. Sorry to sound harsh but this is what I've been told every time I try to end a thread.

We have sailed other lines that offer a cruise specials for under $100 for laundry services from your cabin for the trip (10 days) and it was worth it to me to pay a little knowing that my laundry was taken care of, rather than me dealing with it during my vacation. We've only sailed 19 nights on Regent - so I knew that we had no free laundry services for us. That was fine, I knew the rules and didn't expect anything from Regent. I knew others got free services, but that is o.k., I haven't put in my time with Regent, yet. If they were to offer a service at a "reasonable price" I might take them up on the offer. Otherwise, I was fine dealing with laundry on my own.

I must admit that I had no issues about using the laundry facilities on the Explorer (June 2017) and only a slight wait on the Navigator (2014). I understood with the class of our room, and our status with Regent, we didn't get laundry services. I did worry about laundry a little since we had a few days before the cruise that we were vacationing and we were staying longer in London after our cruise. I worried that I might not have enough clean clothes. It all worked out and honestly, as long as I put the timer on my phone for when the clothes were to be finished, I was able to transfer them quickly in and out of the washer and dryer. I am a courteous person that doesn't like others to wait on my clothes to get out of the washer/dryer, so I made sure it all worked out. We had a family of 4, so I appreciated having 3 washer/dryers to work with on the Explorer!

When and if we are able to make it to the level to earn "free" laundry services, I look forward to that day.:)

We have sailed other lines that offer a cruise specials for under $100 for laundry services from your cabin for the trip (10 days) and it was worth it to me to pay a little knowing that my laundry was taken care of, rather than me dealing with it during my vacation. We've only sailed 19 nights on Regent - so I knew that we had no free laundry services for us. That was fine, I knew the rules and didn't expect anything from Regent. I knew others got free services, but that is o.k., I haven't put in my time with Regent, yet. If they were to offer a service at a "reasonable price" I might take them up on the offer. Otherwise, I was fine dealing with laundry on my own.

I must admit that I had no issues about using the laundry facilities on the Explorer (June 2017) and only a slight wait on the Navigator (2014). I understood with the class of our room, and our status with Regent, we didn't get laundry services. I did worry about laundry a little since we had a few days before the cruise that we were vacationing and we were staying longer in London after our cruise. I worried that I might not have enough clean clothes. It all worked out and honestly, as long as I put the timer on my phone for when the clothes were to be finished, I was able to transfer them quickly in and out of the washer and dryer. I am a courteous person that doesn't like others to wait on my clothes to get out of the washer/dryer, so I made sure it all worked out. We had a family of 4, so I appreciated having 3 washer/dryers to work with on the Explorer!

When and if we are able to make it to the level to earn "free" laundry services, I look forward to that day.:)

Thank you so much for your post. What you said makes perfect sense. Some people forget that there are great washers and dryers on board (and I still use the ironing board -- even though I get free laundry and ironing ...... it just simpler some times to do it yourself. I do think that it is a good idea to run laundry specials -- especially for cruises longer than 14 nights:D

• 2 weeks later...

First let me say that almost every travel industry company, ie cruise lines, airlines, etc, have a loyalty program. They spend millions of dollars to attract and keep valued customers. It works! Like Travelcat2, once we started cruising on Regent in 2009 our goal became to be "Titanium". We now have 573 nights on RSSC and are Titanium and have two more cruises booked for total of another 69 nights. At Platinum level (200+ nights) you get free laundry. We paid over $200,000 to obtain that level. Yes, I would be offended if Regent just gave that benefit to everyone much as they have done with the free wifi benefit on many cruises. Prior to 2009 we obtained the top level on Princess (Elite) and Royal Caribbean (Diamond Plus) so as to enjoy the associated benefits there. We fly only American Airlines due to AAdvantage Program benefits. Just trying to say this sort of marketing works. I guess if Regent gave free laundry then you would want free private car to and from ship as we get now after spending over $600,00 on Regent cruises. BTW, you can get free laundry AND NOW MEDICAL on World Cruises! Let me dispel another myth, NOTHING is free on Regent. It's all factored into fares.

I agree that it would degrade Platinum status and above to give included laundry to all -- unless another significant inclusion were given them. If that were not to be done, I would only like Regent to offer those of us with lesser status an "at cost" laundry package in the range of $10 per day per cabin. Cruise lines of lesser quality than Regent do this.

I agree with the statements before. Yes, if you have sailed the many days it takes to get "free" laundry - you deserve it!! But for the rest of us trying to earn those days to make it to the level to finally get the free laundry - I'd like a discount, especially if I have sailed on Regent before, to make my vacation a little less stressful. Depending on the length of the trip, I might think the laundry costs would be worth it or maybe not. That would be my decision to participate in the offer of paying for a service, like $10 per day. Honestly, knowing me - I would take it.... just so I wouldn't have to worry about laundry while I am on vacation. I've done laundry for my family of 4 on trips over 7 days, twice. Sometimes it would be nice not to have to worry about that while on vacation (even if I have to pay extra). I know they have laundry priced per item (like a shirt for $7-$9). I won't pay per item, I like how other cruise lines do a bag a day for $10.