Christmas on Castaway Cay

jflatto

We are on the Fantasy over Christmas week and assuming the weather cooperates, are scheduled to be on Castaway Cay on Christmas day. Has anyone experience with this? We are looking at planning our excursions but are wondering if there are special Christmas day events occurring on both the ship and the island that we should factor into any plans for excursions.

Thanks for any feedback.

So sorry, this is more of a bump for you.

We've done DCL over Christmas, but the actual day, Christmas, was a sea day.

As far as the ship, yes, they did indeed celebrate the holiday. This was 10 years ago, but there were plenty of Christmas activities on board. Carols, services, Christmas dinner (traditional items), Santa, Goofy Santa (how fun is that???), gingerbread house making....

Enjoy your Christmas cruise and hopefully someone will come along to answer your question.

Edited by Muushka

• 1 year later...
Jflatto,

I'll be on the Wonder for Christmas and on CC for Christmas Day. How did your trip turn out? I have similar questions about excursions and shops being open. I would love to mail something at the post office.

Thanks!!

On Castaway Cay, even if it is Christmas, I'd be surprised if the excursions were not available. Or if the shops were closed.

Now, the post office - that's a different story. It's run by Bahamian postal services. My guess is ----- they might be open. Or they might be closed. Pretty much how it is any day.

The Post Office at Castaway Cay is very spotty....they run on "island time," close for weather or just because the postmistress didn't show up, etc. If your point is to get the CC post mark, no worries--you can give your postcards or letters to the people at Guest Services and they will have them mailed for you the next time the ship stops. Even if the PO is open when you are there, your mail won't arrive in the US for 6 weeks or more. And no, I don't think it will be open on Christmas Day.

Excursions will operate, weather permitting.

We have been to CC three times and the post office was never open. Good luck with figuring out their schedule.

It has very limited hours even when it does open. There is a sign with hours on it, but I think they only put the sign out when it is open, which makes no sense. The usual opening is about 2 hours in the morning when most people are getting off the ship. And they take cash only.

It has very limited hours even when it does open. There is a sign with hours on it' date=' but I think they only put the sign out when it is open, which makes no sense. The usual opening is about 2 hours in the morning when most people are getting off the ship. And they take cash only.[/quote']

I checked both when we got off the ship first thing in the morning and again in the afternoon. Never open and no hours posted. Yes, it is indeed a mystery operation. I'll let you know if it's open when we will be there again 28 Dec 2018.

I checked both when we got off the ship first thing in the morning and again in the afternoon. Never open and no hours posted. Yes, it is indeed a mystery operation. I'll let you know if it's open when we will be there again 28 Dec 2018.

I know, there is no rhyme or reason to it. The usual excuse when it doesn't open at all is that the postmistress comes over on a small boat from a nearby island, and if the water is at all rough, she can't make it. OK, but the excursion operators do the same thing, and most of the time they can make it! True, there are occasions where all water excursions or all excursions are canceled due to weather. We managed to mail some cards at the post office once...it truly isn't worth the hassle. Especially when the cards that I mailed took 6 1/2 weeks to be delivered in the US. Cards mailed at the Hell PO in Grand Cayman took a week and cost less than US postage!

If you want the Castaway Cay postmark, give your items to the staff at Guest Services along with money for the postage. They will get them mailed for you, and they will know what the current international rates are. That's SO much easier than finding the PO on Castaway closed or standing in a long line when it is open.