Panama -Fuerte Amador tours

sailingon

We will be on an Oceania Regatta cruise in January that transits the Panama Canal from East to West, and then stays two full days in Fuerte Amador. I would appreciate suggestions for how best to spend the time in this port, in addition to touring Panama City. We are an older couple, and while we are physically fit, we are not interested in zip lining or other "adventure" activities.

"Fuerte Amador" is name cruise lines like for the Amador Peninsula section of Panama City, about 25 minutes by cab from downtown and the "colonial" French Casco Viejo. I go into great detail about all the tours in my book: it really is a matter of what interests you. There are lots of choices for Panama. There is now a Hop On Hop Off bus which picks up at the port if you just want to see some of the city. The "better" sights, at least in my opinion, are accessed generally by all day tours and unfortunately you can't do them all. Nature, wildlife, a more intimate view of the Canal, history, culture, whale watching - just depends on your interests. Frankly, even if you were into the Zip Lines, I'd save them for Costa Rica, since there is too much else really interesting to do in Panama.

The Panama Canal itineraries are one area of the world where the more research and study you do in advance, the better you will enjoy your voyage and the more you will get out of it.

Be aware that this is a tender port.

Regards, Richard

Edited by Richard in Panama

Since you will have 2 days so that will give you more time than most.... On your tour of Panama City make sure you have included the Casco Viejo and the ruins at Old Panama. Maybe a visit to the Embera Indians may offer a little more insight to Panama's indigenous peoples. This tour won't be all snug in an air conditioned bus for the entire trip, but certainly a bit more in the outdoors.... no zip lines;). You may wish to consider taking in Miraflores Locks to see the Canal operations from the land side point of view or possibly take a trip on the Panama Railroad if you are train buffs. Lots of history and culture available to soak in and you will have plenty of time to buy that obligatory T shirt!!

The Hop-on Hop-off bus takes you into the parking lot of a large mall, and also goes into the parking lot of the Mira Flores lock viewing area. I believe the cost was 29 dollars per person, and they have a GPS controlled narrative that tells you where you are. They furnish headphones and you can select English or Spanish as the language.

I was impressed by the trip and service.

The Hop-on Hop-off bus takes you into the parking lot of a large mall, and also goes into the parking lot of the Mira Flores lock viewing area. I believe the cost was 29 dollars per person, and they have a GPS controlled narrative that tells you where you are. They furnish headphones and you can select English or Spanish as the language.

I was impressed by the trip and service.

This is relatively new, started just before I left on my last contract in the Med, and I haven't had chance to try it, so I'm glad to have your first-hand review. Hop On Hop Off buses aren't for everyone, but lots of people like the concept and it's good to have it in Panama. I find it to offer a good first time overview of places, but for actual hopping on and hopping off, it seems I always miss-time and end up spending a lot of time waiting around for the next bus. The Panama operation is part of a franchise that is very popular in Europe and Asia and you can book all of these in advance, or check them out at www.city-sightseeing.com

Since a lot of organized ship tours are in English, if English isn't your primary language, these guys usually have commentary on head phones in more than a half dozen languages.

Regards, Richard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We are on this same cruise and we get in at 8:00 pm in the evening and then leave at 6:00 pm the next day. My wife and I are interested in some type of tour of the locks and perhaps the train but I am finding it difficult to see how to organize this myself. We would also be interested in some type of excursion that allows for viewing wildlife.

Any help would be appreciated.

Doing the train on your own may be difficult due to the fact in most cases the trains that are run when a cruise ship is in port are pretty much dedicated to the cruise line. I am not aware of them taking independent passengers. Another issue is depending on how many passengers are booked, the train tour could be one way by train and the other way by bus or even round trip by train. The schedule for regular train service won't work for you. As far as wild life, I would say your best bet would be to look for a tour that would include "Monkey Island" which is in Gatun Lake near Gamboa. As far as a trip to the locks, if you have time you could probably arrange for a cab to take you to Miraflores Locks once you are ashore. I would allow about 3 hours for the trip to Miraflores Locks.

Does the hop on bus stop at the pier and also go to the locks? Would that be a good option? The ship is not offering an excursion that includes the train.

Since the bus thing is all new since I have been there.... here's their web site below. I' not sure where you would be able to join the bus initially, but on the Canal Route, stop #8 is in the vicinity where the tenders come ashore. Stop #6 is supposed to be Miraflores according to one of their maps.

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/panama/panama-city.htm#tourlandingposition

Edited by BillB48

Does the hop on bus stop at the pier and also go to the locks? Would that be a good option? The ship is not offering an excursion that includes the train.

The HOHO bus will pick you up right at the pier and takes you to the bottom of the stairway at Miraflores locks -- along with other places in the city that you can get off and visit, then get back onto the next bus.

I don't remember if they run every 30 minutes or every hour, but the stops are well marked and the buses run frequently.

• 4 years later...

Even though this is a "resurrected" thread, it appears from their web site that they are still in operation. Somewhere on their site it mentioned 2 hours to make a circuit. Looking at their route that seems a reasonable guesstimate, just keep in mind Panama City does enjoy some world class gridlock;p!