Queenstown or Not?

Islandgirl4242

We're cruising to NZ in December and have been planning to take the ship's tour to Queenstown. It's impossible to arrange a private tour since the ship's tour will be tendered in from Milford Sound. The tour's cost is $1150 for 2 of us and does include an overnight in Queenstown. Taking this tour we will miss both Doubtful and Dusky Sounds and also arrive back at our first port, Dunedin, too late to be able to see much, if anything.

We've heard over and over that Queenstown is not to be missed...I, of course, don't want to miss "anything" and some things we will just have to. I should add that we live in the states on an island off the NW coast. Aussie cruising friends who came and stayed with us last summer said several times during their visit, "this looks and feels like we're in NZ".

Soooo, Queenstown or not? Your suggestions and opinions are appreciated. ~~Judy

Soooo, Queenstown or not?
IMHO, not.

Basically, you can't (easily) see Doubtful Sound and Dusky Sound under your own steam. You'd barely scratch the surface of what Queenstown has to offer with one overnight stay. As you say, you'd probably miss much of Dunedin. And you can get to both Queenstown and Dunedin under your own steam without a ship.

We will sail from Sydney to Auckland in Jan. 2014. Like you, I don't want to miss Doubtful and Dusky Sounds or Dunedin. Therefore, I am tentatively planning for us to fly to Queensland for a few days when the cruise ends - then return home.

IMHO, not. Basically, you can't (easily) see Doubtful Sound and Dusky Sound under your own steam. You'd barely scratch the surface of what Queenstown has to offer with one overnight stay. As you say, you'd probably miss much of Dunedin. And you can get to both Queenstown and Dunedin under your own steam without a ship.

Appreciate the great advice from the ever wise Globaliser. We are on the same Jan. 20, 2014, Sydney to Auckland Celebrity Solstice cruise with NancyIL and have come to the same conclusion as she reflects. We also don't want to miss Doubtful and Dusky Sounds or Dunedin.

People who have been there just rave about how totally wonderful is Queenstown. Our friends who live there for four months called it "The Crazy Capital of the World" in noting it as the starting place for bungee jumping and other wild adventures. We will probably do a post-cruise few days in Queenstown, flying down from Auckland on a one hours and 50 minute non-stop flight south.

Below are a few of the visuals I have pulled up from the web related to Queenstown. Look very, very attractive!! PS: No, I am not that wild and crazy to be doing an bungee jumping. It could be fun, however, to be in that "adventure zone".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,897 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are three previews of and for Queenstown in southern New Zealand. As shown, the nearby mountains there are very dramatic, close and in a setting that combines water to make the physical “drama” even better. Bungee jumping got its start here and you can see in the second picture one of the locations to engage in this “thrill sport”. Finally, here is a mountain and water nearby view when things are more snowed covered in this beautiful region. Looking interesting??:

QueenstownNightMtsViewsWater.jpg

QueenstownJumpOverviewWater.jpg

QueenstownMtnsSnowWaterView.jpg

I've been to Queenstown several times and it's an amazing place even if you aren't interested in extreme sports. We particularly enjoy the gorgeous scenery and walking around town and hiking outside of town.

But, I definitely would not pay that amount of money for one night in Queenstown, especially since it would mean missing Doubtful Sound, Dusky Sound and Dunedin. You don't have enough time to do justice to Queenstown with a mere overnight stay and you'd miss a lot of other great places by choosing to do this excursion. It's a lose-lose situation--don't do it.

I probably should have added that our Solstice cruise is Sydney to Sydney, so we won't have the opportunity for pre/post cruise days in NZ to rent a car and drive to Queenstown. That said, after your responses I still think we will now forego the overnight tour to Queenstown realizing that much of our time would be spent looking out the window of a tour bus instead of exploring Queenstown...I'm pretty much of an adrenalin junkie!:D This is likely a once in a lifetime visit to NZ for us...I'm finding more and more there are just so many countries/cultures that we want to visit and we finally made a somewhat difficult decision to visit every place on our bucket list once before making a second trip to the places we've loved. The problem arose that I've loved every place we cruise and returning time and time again we were missing all of the other wonders of this amazing world we live in! ~~Judy

And here's a reply from New Zealander!

If this is to be your only visit to NZ, take the trip to Queenstown! You only get a small sampling of NZ by calling at the ports.

Milford Sound (which you will see) is by far the most beautiful Sound. Doubtful Sound and Dusky Sound are less dramatic.

If you take the Queenstown trip, you will also see some of NZ's beautiful mountain countryside - it isn't just Queenstown you'll see. The road trips are also impressive.

If you're going to visit NZ again, or if you are contemplating spending some time travelling around NZ by land on this visit, then stay on the ship and see the other Sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked it after 1 1/2 years of researching. Not one person who has taken the excursion has expressed their displeasure on any forum on the internet that I could find.

Will find out in three weeks if it was a mistake, but I don't think so.

If someone wants to post here on November 25, 2012, it will trigger my email to respond to the question.

I booked it after 1 1/2 years of researching. Not one person who has taken the excursion has expressed their displeasure on any forum on the internet that I could find.

If someone wants to post here on November 25, 2012, it will trigger my email to respond to the question.

I did a search of the CC cruise line forums for "Queenstown" - and also read only glowing comments about that excursion. Most said things like "best tour ever." I now plan to do the ship excursion rather than fly to Queenstown post-cruise.

Not one person who has taken the excursion has expressed their displeasure on any forum on the internet that I could find.
Most said things like "best tour ever."
I don't want to discourage either of you from doing something that works for you, but how many of these reviewers already had separate and independent knowledge and experience of touring this part of the country in other ways, against which they could compare the value and content of this tour?

We're cruising to NZ in December and have been planning to take the ship's tour to Queenstown. It's impossible to arrange a private tour since the ship's tour will be tendered in from Milford Sound. The tour's cost is $1150 for 2 of us and does include an overnight in Queenstown. Taking this tour we will miss both Doubtful and Dusky Sounds and also arrive back at our first port, Dunedin, too late to be able to see much, if anything.

We've heard over and over that Queenstown is not to be missed...I, of course, don't want to miss "anything" and some things we will just have to. I should add that we live in the states on an island off the NW coast. Aussie cruising friends who came and stayed with us last summer said several times during their visit, "this looks and feels like we're in NZ".

Soooo, Queenstown or not? Your suggestions and opinions are appreciated. ~~Judy

Not, as that tour to Queenstown for $1150 for 2 is not good value.

You give up Doubtful and Dusky Sounds and cruising around the bottom of NZ, and miss most of Dunedin (one of my favourite towns in NZ) - all of which are included in the cruise price.

This is from someone who has driven all around South Island, NZ and loves Queenstown, as well as cruised as above.

I agree that for those who have the time to spend more than one night/two days in Fjordland & Queenstown on a pre or post-cruise land trip - it would be better than this whirlwind 2-day ship tour. I have the time for a post-cruise Queenstown visit, but my husband doesn't - so we will compromise by doing the ship's 2-day tour.

Remember that this is a CRUISE board, and most cruisers will spend only 8-10 hours in any port in Australia & NZ. You can't cover any area in depth without doing a land trip. Even then, most casual travelers only scratch the surface.

Not, as that tour to Queenstown for $1150 for 2 is not good value.

OK...Its not cheap , but everyone has a different outlook on what value is.

If this is the one and only time you will ever be in this part of the world, its a heck of a lot cheaper than paying to fly all the way out here and then back again.

Also don't forget this tour is especially arranged for cruise ship passengers , and buses and staff have to spend an extra day , and night, just getting there to pick them up.

OK...Its not cheap , but everyone has a different outlook on what value is.

If this is the one and only time you will ever be in this part of the world, its a heck of a lot cheaper than paying to fly all the way out here and then back again.

Also don't forget this tour is especially arranged for cruise ship passengers , and buses and staff have to spend an extra day , and night, just getting there to pick them up.

I'm sure lots of people would think it is good value, David. I just don't.

However, whether cruisers decide to do the tour, or stay on the ship, all parties seem to enjoy their choice.

DAY 1 Milford Sound – Queenstown

To put it simply, this tour will take you through one of the most beautiful destinations on the face of the earth.

Milford Sound is a great place to start as you make your to Fiordland National Park. You must see this park to believe it. This is the very definition of “Picture Post Card”. The mountain scenery is spectacular and waterfalls are counted by the hundreds. Rushing rivers, alpine lakes, towering mountains and the deep valleys of the Southern Alps; your digital camera is going to run out of digits.

One of the nice features of your trip is the food. You’ll find the lakeside resort community of Te Anau a perfect place to relax and enjoy lunch.

Queenstown is going to be special. Check into your hotel and the rest of the afternoon is yours. This is a delightful town, a nice place to shop for souvenirs and stroll by the lake.

You can’t miss the wonderful evening that is planned. You’ll board a vintage steamship and a cruise across Lake Wakatipu. An elegant dinner will be served at the Walter Peak High Country sheep station. And the amazing sheep-dog demonstration will make you wonder why your own dog can’t even learn to fetch the Sunday paper.

DAY 2 Queenstown – Dunedin

Arrowtown is a former gold-mining community on the Arrow River. A stroll around the lovely town will give you an idea of what life was like back in the 1860s. The Lakes District Centennial Museum tells the interesting history of the area.

You might recognize the Kawarau Suspension Bridge. Built across a beautifully rugged gorge; this is where bungee-jumping was born. Please note that a “flying leap” is not included in this tour. But you may catch a jumper making a death defying dive into the gorge.

The Gibbston Valley Winery is the southernmost winery in the world, renowned for the unique caves which provide a near perfect underground storage environment. Of course, you’ll have an opportunity to taste the distinct and highly regarded wines.

The small Victorian mountain village of Clyde is a perfect stop for lunch before continuing through New Zealand’s gold mining country and on to Dunedin and your ship.

Highlights:

-Fiordland National Park: Take in the natural beauty of the lakes, mountains and waterfalls.

-Te Anau: Have lunch in the mountain shadows of the towering Remarkables Range.

-Queenstown: Check into your hotel and have the afternoon free to shop and explore.

-Walter Peak High Country Farm: Enjoy dinner and a sheep-dog demonstration.

-Evening Cruise: Board a vintage steamship for an evening cruise across Lake Wakatipu.

-Arrowtown: Explore the museum and former gold-mining community on the Arrow River.

-Gibbston Valley Winery: Visit the winery and enjoy delicious New Zealand wine.

-Clyde: Stop in the small Victorian mountain town for lunch.

• 5 weeks later...
That's great to hear! Did the tour spend any time in Dunedin before returning to the ship?

Yes, the tour did spend time in Dunedin. The coach drove around the city, seeing the Cadbury factory, other downtown sites, and we got out briefly to inspect the Dunedin Train station. There was, however, no time to walk around the city, as the ship was to leave soon.

Please remember the direction my ship was heading, with Milford Sound the first stop (and ship friends said "the best" sound out of the three) with Dunedin set at the end of the excursion.

Without a doubt, this was indeed the best excursion of my trip. Getting a taste of inland New Zealand and viewing the South Island (with multiple photo stops and bathroom breaks) was breathtaking and totally worth it.

If you can only spend a limited amount of time on land in New Zealand, do this excursion!

Yes, the tour did spend time in Dunedin. The coach drove around the city, seeing the Cadbury factory, other downtown sites, and we got out briefly to inspect the Dunedin Train station. There was, however, no time to walk around the city, as the ship was to leave soon.

Please remember the direction my ship was heading, with Milford Sound the first stop (and ship friends said "the best" sound out of the three) with Dunedin set at the end of the excursion.

Without a doubt, this was indeed the best excursion of my trip. Getting a taste of inland New Zealand and viewing the South Island (with multiple photo stops and bathroom breaks) was breathtaking and totally worth it.

If you can only spend a limited amount of time on land in New Zealand, do this excursion!

That's great that you got to see a little bit of Dunedin - especially the train station.

Our Jan. 2014 Celebrity cruise is going the same direction, and we plan to go on this excursion from Milford Sound. :)

Nhsaltshaker:

Thanks for posting the descriptions. When you put all of the parts of this 2 day/1 night journey together, it looks like you're getting "excursions within an excursion", with lots of variety. A boat, a motorcoach, a lake steamer, walking trails. Both surf and turf type meals in places which require transport. Dogs, sheep, wine, mining, mountains and city shopping. That, plus the fact that I'd like to get ONE inland experience on South Island, seals the deal for me, and actually sounds reasonable, costwise. Just booked it. Now maybe I can cross off some of the other excursions in other ports and relax a bit. ;-)

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for your review. We could not make up our minds but I have now just booked it for our March cruise! We have cruised N.Z before so have done a day in Dunedin and Milford Sound is by the fast the best.

Jancye

This was the best excursion on the entire cruise and worth twice the price. You will see more of the country as you travel into the interior. The boat ride in Queenstown and the dinner and demonstration at the sheep each is fun. We did this excursion five years ago and are returning to NZ and AU for another cruise this year. We selected a private excursion in Dunedin this year and I'm not sure that we are doing the right thing.FYI People over 75 will be able to bungee jump for free. Yes, there was a man who did it from our bus.

Temma

• 2 months later...

For anyone still debating this excursion, add us to those who did it without regrets. We enjoyed the opportunity to go inland and see more of the countryside. Now we want to return to spend more time there! Our pictures are at https://plus.google.com/photos/101569527514151835454/albums/5742189546010803681?banner=pwa and my blog post for the trip to Queenstown is at http://lanceandsharon.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/milford-sound-to-queenstown/

• 3 years later...

My husband and I are contemplating going on this overnight trip on our cruise in December. Can you tell me how you liked it? Is it worth the price? My husband loves old gold mining towns. Do you get to explore any of them? Thank you.