Dining Reservations

kntdds

Since higher category suites get to make pre-cruise dining reservations first, can they include friends in lower categories when they make their reservations? We have a group of 6 sailing, but only 1 suite is in a higher category and we wanted to be sure we can eat together if possible.

We are not higher category suites, but are higher number of days and are able to

make reservations earlier.

Three times we have had new to Regent cruisers and have made reservations for 6.

Just need their name and booking number and cabin number.

We are not higher category suites, but are higher number of days and are able to

make reservations earlier.

Three times we have had new to Regent cruisers and have made reservations for 6.

Just need their name and booking number and cabin number.

Thank you for clarifying this. I was obviously under the impression that this was not possible. As you may know, I am very much against the "concierge" program whereby you can make reservations based upon your category (but am fine with being able to book early based on Seven Seas Society nights). It is good to know that you can make reservations for passengers that are not eligible for early reservations. I'll definitely try that for our Explorer cruise.

venicia , you can only make one reservation per dining venue online (this means one reservation in P-7 on the Navigator - one each for P-7 and Signatures on the Mariner and Voyager and one each for P-7, Chartreuse and Pacific Rim on the Explorer. Once onboard you can try to get another reservation. Whether or not you can get the reservation depends upon a couple of things. If you are on a short cruise (7 -10 nights), it may be difficult. If you are willing to share a table and are also open to dining later in the evening, you are more likely to get a second reservation. Please note that there are two dishes on the CR menu each night from both P-7 and Signatures so you can still get some of the same dishes that are served there.

Edited by Travelcat2

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a basic level suite on a back to back RT from Vancouver 18 May Alaska cruise on the Mariner.Because of our "basic suite status" our dining reservations did not open until 4 March. By chance on 4 March I was going on another holiday so I was up half the night anyway getting ready, I checked the Regent site at 4AM UK time and nothing happening, checked again 6AM and it opened that second, hardly any reservations in Signatures left and none whatsoever in Prime 7. I have complained / phoned them / emailed them, no joy they just advise I ask again once onboard (which will probably be hopeless). I was right there on the button at 6AM, I have also had the same problem with some of the shore trips being already booked up as our "basic suite status" gives us last pick although with much effort I have now got these sorted out. Next battle will no boubt be getting in the spa which again I cannot book until 18 March. Why am I starting to feel like its all some great fight to get everything?

Could you try and ask your TA to contact Regent on your behalf and explain situation to them, and check things for you? They may be able to sort something out for you.

If they can't help as soon as you board make contact at both restruants and ask to book then. They may have kept some tables for that purpose. Also I have just waited until I boarded to book a spa treatment.

Also on board pop by the destinations desk and speak to them too, as some people change their minds about the trips they have previously booked on line , so here's hoping you can get sorted out. Have a lovely cruise . Jean.

I am in a basic level suite on a back to back RT from Vancouver 18 May Alaska cruise on the Mariner.Because of our "basic suite status" our dining reservations did not open until 4 March. By chance on 4 March I was going on another holiday so I was up half the night anyway getting ready, I checked the Regent site at 4AM UK time and nothing happening, checked again 6AM and it opened that second, hardly any reservations in Signatures left and none whatsoever in Prime 7. I have complained / phoned them / emailed them, no joy they just advise I ask again once onboard (which will probably be hopeless). I was right there on the button at 6AM, I have also had the same problem with some of the shore trips being already booked up as our "basic suite status" gives us last pick although with much effort I have now got these sorted out. Next battle will no boubt be getting in the spa which again I cannot book until 18 March. Why am I starting to feel like its all some great fight to get everything?

You are on a popular cruise (likely full) in a basic suite, so yes, it will be a bit of a "fight" to get exactly what you want. Regent does have a "class" approach to excursions, restaurants and other advance bookings (i.e., you get what you pay for, and/or if you have many days in which case you have status), but frankly all the luxury lines have a variation on a theme of giving some preference to high payers and frequent cruisers and "regulars", just like airlines. Though you may get lucky with some people canceling, it is less likely with a full ship and popular cruises, especially if the excursion is very small group.

When DH and I first tried Regent (Med) we deliberately went for the concierge level so as to assure we could get the excursions we wanted booked in advance and at least that part of it paid off, e.g., one excursion DH absolutely wanted to do (4x4 driving on Corfu, which he loved) was sold out very quickly, and stayed sold out, and remained unavailable to the "basic" cruisers. So just for the excursions, if it is important, going "concierge" and not being second class paid off. The spa may have some cancellations, if you are flexible on time.

Having said that, you can still have a marvelous time, I like to think glass-half-full rather than empty, even while taking notes about negatives for future planning and cruise line preferences. You may want to look into private excursions for what you cannot book, or you may get lucky with things opening up or Regent adding excursion capacity. Food in any venue we tried was generally reasonably good when we were on Regent (though variable service) and it is frankly hard to go wrong with any excursion in Alaska.

To compare, our experience on SS was that although there was no suite class preference for bookings, but there were many excursions cancelled short notice and we were not informed until we boarded, leaving only what we thought were less desirable leftovers to pick from, but we managed. On SB things were less likely to be sold out prior to boarding, but some with small groups were (like a cooking demonstration, so I was glad I'd booked in advance). And on the Europa 2, by the time excursion booking information became available on-line to Americans, some of the preferred excursions were already closed, booked by Germans who had had advance notice. But we still had other acceptable options.

I know that for organized people it can be frustrating not to be able to get exactly what you want with advance planning, especially with the high prices paid for luxury cruising.

I hope you still have a good cruise!

Edited by Catlover54

Can someone please tell me how to book the spa in advance?

I did not know I could do that prior to boarding.

Thanks in advance.

Sharon

According to the Regent website, within 60 days of your cruise, you can call 1-877-329-1924 to make spa reservations. Hope this helps.

We rarely book our dining reservations prior to boarding - I don't know what I want for dinner tonight, let alone months from now. On our last cruise, which was a 30 day cruise, we were unable to get a table for two, even though we are platinum - it took a great deal of "wheeling and dealing" to get a table in Signatures and when we went for our dinner in Prime 7 for our reservation for 2, it was changed to a table for six, which we declined.

Of interest, on each and every previous cruise, during the first week on board we were always called to inquire about making reservations - this time were we not even called, there was no effort made to whatsoever to try and find us a suitable reservation when we inquired.

I know that many others on the board will disagree, but my Mom and I (and many others for that matter) have concluded that due to the cultural differences of many of the staff members, two women trying to book a table are not given much consideration. To prove our point, on our last cruise we attempted to make a reservation for Prime 7 for two and was told the house was full for the night. We asked a friend to attempt to make the same reservation and he was accommodated (no, he was not in a named suite, same type of suite we had) - I really do not want to start a huge discussion over this, just want to make people aware that it happens. My Mom is constantly commented on how the service is so much different if there is a man at the table and I have to agree because I have witnessed this over and over again.

gnomie :)

Regent Seven Seas Society members "eat up" most of the online dining reservations. There are at least 100,000 Silver and above (21+ nights on Regent) that are eligible for this benefit. IMO, early dining reservations should be based on Regent's loyalty program rather than what level suite they are in (this has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time). So many suites have been upgraded to "concierge" level that there are few passengers that have to wait until there are barely any reservations left.

On the more positive side, Regent withholds reservations so they are available to passengers that were not able to book prior to the cruise.

While onboard waiting for a reservation, be sure to take advantage of the dishes offered each night that are from the specialty restaurants.

I am on the same cruise as beauty123 and just checked restaurant reservations. While there are no tables for two available for online booking in Prime 7 on the first seven day segment, if beauty 123 is willing to share a table, shared tables are available each of the first seven nights of the cruise.

Tables for two are available for online booking in each specialty restaurant during the second seven day segment of the cruise. Beauty 123 may make an online reservation in each specialty restaurant for this second segment now. I encourage her to do so now and not wait until 75 days before the second segment begins.

We rarely book our dining reservations prior to boarding - I don't know what I want for dinner tonight, let alone months from now. On our last cruise, which was a 30 day cruise, we were unable to get a table for two, even though we are platinum - it took a great deal of "wheeling and dealing" to get a table in Signatures and when we went for our dinner in Prime 7 for our reservation for 2, it was changed to a table for six, which we declined.

Of interest, on each and every previous cruise, during the first week on board we were always called to inquire about making reservations - this time were we not even called, there was no effort made to whatsoever to try and find us a suitable reservation when we inquired.

I know that many others on the board will disagree, but my Mom and I (and many others for that matter) have concluded that due to the cultural differences of many of the staff members, two women trying to book a table are not given much consideration. To prove our point, on our last cruise we attempted to make a reservation for Prime 7 for two and was told the house was full for the night. We asked a friend to attempt to make the same reservation and he was accommodated (no, he was not in a named suite, same type of suite we had) - I really do not want to start a huge discussion over this, just want to make people aware that it happens. My Mom is constantly commented on how the service is so much different if there is a man at the table and I have to agree because I have witnessed this over and over again.

gnomie :)

I totally agree with you! I have travelled with my sister and then with my husband. There is certainly a different vibe put out by management when a man is present. It's ridiculous because I am the one who books the cruises! Jim is just along for the ride.

I totally agree with you! I have travelled with my sister and then with my husband. There is certainly a different vibe put out by management when a man is present. It's ridiculous because I am the one who books the cruises! Jim is just along for the ride.

This has definitely not been our experience! I have not been treated differently on Regent (or anywhere else) simply because I am a woman. Perhaps it is because I'm not looking for prejudice so I don't see it and I have been treated kindly and with respect (I treat the crew with respect as well). If we cannot get dinner reservations, I accept it with a smile and tell them that I'll stop by tomorrow. I have seen passengers get very irate (both men and women) with the Restaurant Mgr./Maitre 'D when they are not able to get dining reservations. IMO, how you treated on Regent has more to do with your attitude than with your sex. Assuming that there are no openings available because of your sex is not looking at the whole picture. We had a last minute issue to deal with on our last cruise and went to Prime 7 to cancel. The couple behind us was very fortunate because they were looking for a table for 2 and were able to get ours. Had they stopped by 2 minutes earlier, there would have been no availability. I have no doubt that anyone (male or female) would have been able to get our table if they had been behind us.

I firmly believe in booking reservations online in advance. If you do not, it could be difficult to get a reservation at the time that you would like because a great percentage of Regent passengers do book in advance (and I strongly recommend that passengers do so). We have no idea if we will be in the mood to dine in a specialty restaurant when we board the ship but would rather have a reservation that we can cancel than not be able to get one at all. Generally, when we are thinking about cancelling, we go downstairs and ask the Maitre 'D if there is availability on another night. Most of the time it isn't a problem. Sometimes the availability is for a larger table (we prefer tables for 2) or is at a time that is not convenient. At that point, we decide whether to cancel or keep the reservation.

Over the years we have cared less and less about specialty restaurants since we can some of the same cuisine in CR. Plus, you can order whatever you want if you give 24 hours notice. The specialty restaurants have lost their "specialness" which is why our next few cruises are on the Explorer. We look forward to the new dining venues.

Once onboard, the upper suites do not necessarily get all of the dining reservations they wish to have (at least not on the current ships). We are always in an upper suite and not always been able to change our pre-booked reservation to a time and table size that we want. So, my advice is still to book in advance if you can.

Edited by Travelcat2

Hello, we are on the Dubai to Barcelona cruise sailing in a Penthouse suite. We were told by Regent that we could book our dining reservations from the UK on the 2nd February. So at 9 a.m. I was on the computer, got to the right page and entered Prime 7 and time we wanted. I got to 'click' the button and between selecting the time and clicking the button, the time we wanted had gone - disappeared into the clear blue yonder! When Regent give a date to book, is the time different from where you're booking, i.e. the States, west coast and then the east coast and then the UK?

I have found that if you're nice and friendly with the Maitre Ds, they will try and accommodate you. This cruise doesn't look full, so there shouldn't be too much trouble in getting into either of the speciality restaurants, at least once. I believe you can only book once for these restaurants, but saying that, when you leave at the end of your meal, you can always ask the Maitre D for another booking.

Our last Regents cruise was to the Baltic. Could not get reservations for table for 2 in either restaurant, so reserved at a table for four . We ended up having dinner at a table for 2 in both instances, things change. I am sure we would have had a lovely dinner with another couple also.

Well I am hoping some of you are wrong regards women only parties as I am just travelling with my sister on a girls only holiday so to speak so that fact coupled with being in a basic suite seems like we don't have a lot going for us!.

I am enjoying reading all the various opinions on all the various threads on Cruise Critic as we haven't cruised much so its all food for thought pardon the pun.

I have now managed to get 3 out of the 4 dining reservations, just not week 1 in Prime 7 but I am now asking myself is that really a big deal anyway?. As someone posted are these restaurants that special anyway?, we can dine at home at any upmarket restaurant we want. I remember when we cruised on RC Allure of the Seas (which I hated but my sister loved) we didn't enjoy the a la carte restaurant as both times we went we felt completely ignored as the staff were too eager falling over themselves to impress tables full of ships officers, we had far better service and fabulous food in the main restaurant.

motone: As far as I know, the time should be the same all over the world. It is based on the time in Florida. Perhaps someone can try booking at midnight in the U.K. to prove (or disprove) my theory. Keep in mind that the U.S. changes to daylight savings time tomorrow so the time may be an hour off.

beauty123, in the 10 years or so that I've been on Cruise Critic, this is the first time anyone has suggested that women are treated differently than men. I have not seen prejudice of any kind on Regent so I would not worry about it. The only thing in Prime 7 that I like (most of the time) that I haven't seen on the Compass Rose menu is crab legs. Our experiences in Prime 7 have been really good and really poor so I have difficulty recommending that dining venue. Signatures, on the other hand, seems a bit more consistent but is not as popular (which could be why it will be changing to a different type of French restaurant). I do enjoy their rack of lamb but you can also get it in Compass Rose.

We book our restaurants in Australia on Florida time and it works well. What might be against motone is is the Dubai to Barcelona is a leg of a longer cruise Singapore to London. We're on the Singapore to Dubai leg, so could book in January and I don't think it's necessarily a 'back to back' but a Grand Voyage which may have allowed bookings for all three legs in January (actually there's a number of smaller legs too) so some popular spots may have been taken then - we have our preferred last night of the cruise in Prime 7 for example. Given the Dubai to Barcelona cruise is 21 days with no 'sub' legs there could be a chance to get multiple bookings for the speciality restaurants whilst on board as the whole point of the restricted booking system is to give everyone a chance to eat at least once in the speciality restaurants. On a longer 21 night cruise there's about 1500 spots for 700 passengers in each restaurant. Well that's what my skewed rationale is - I could be completely wrong of course:o.

Passengers in "concierge" or above suites can also book dining reservations at 75 days rather than 90 days (as can some Seven Seas Society members). I'd be curious to know if a concierge or above passenger could make dining reservations for someone not in a concierge suite that also does not receive a special benefit for being a Seven Seas Society "Silver" or above.

• 3 weeks later...

We are in a 'low level' cabin. booked through a travel agent.

For some reason we are not available to access our booking online.

I called Regent direct and they were very nice. Because we were willing to share a table, we were able to get 7pm reservations at both Prime 7 and Signatures.

They also got us confirmed reservations for 3 shore excursions and wait list on 2 others.

They said they have some computer issues they are working on and reservations like ours cannot be accessed by the guest. They were apologetic and said to just call back if we need more help.

I was a bit surprised because most cruise lines refer you to go back to your travel agent. I was thrilled because I do not think our agent would have been so successful !