Aranui 5 questions

I know that cruising on the Aranui will be a very different trip compare to a cruise ship like Paul Gauguin. But I have two questions that I'm hoping someone that has been on her can answer for me. 1. Does the Aranui have cabin attendants that come to the room everyday? If not, what happens on this ship? 2. Does the ship provides shampoo and soap in the bathrooms or do we need to bring our own. I have no problems with bringing mine own if I need to. Just want to be ready. Thank you for your time. Janine:confused:

I was on the Aranui 2 and 3 and yes, they had cabin attendants who made the beds every day and cleaned. I am sure the Aranui 5 does as well.

My husband and I enjoyed both trips very much, but we never expected it to be a cruise ship. As to the disorganized excursion program one traveler reported, maybe the owners will get Bernard back, our first rate 'cruise director' on the Aranui 3 who kept everything moving flawlessly. He spoke French, German and English fluently and had recently 'retired' to Tahiti after a career in the French navy. It's always a delicate balance act between an easy going attitude and a full out work ethic.

The way I know the islands, there may not be enough excellent English speakers to act as knowledgeable guides. Try to find a 'run' with a guest lecturer whose first language is English.

I can't remember about the shampoo/soap question, however I'm sure there was at least soap. I always travel with my own shampoo, so don't notice that. The cabin attendant did a great job with our cabin. Concur with Floridiana about going on a trip with an English speaker, in fact I would seek out a native speaker. Our trip had someone who spoke French but attempted to read his lectures to us in English. They were pretty much incoherant, although our guide Stephan did a fantastic job.

Last time, all of the 'bunkies' were individuals, one couple, two friends. The Aranui3 had more bunks and they were all in one room. I don't think the make-up of the passengers in the dorms will have changed much. There were always more adventurous passengers in the mix compared to the more luxurious cruise ships in French Polynesia. The Aranui 5 looks more like a cruise ship than her predecessors , but her itinerary still includes the tiny bays and villages and the close travel along the rugged coasts of Nuku Hiva and Ua Huka.

If I continue, I will talk myself into going a third time! :D You may want to engage a travel agent specializing in freighter cruises. We used a reliable one that publishes a small magazine with travl tips and reviews written by travelers. It is against cc rules to name travel agents.

We are so ready. June 10th can't come fast enough. It will be our 4th trip to the South Pacific in 4 years. But the first time on this ship. Can't wait for a new advantage. :D

You have the South Pacific flu! :D It took us a long time to recover and be able to visit other parts of the world. Some people never recover! :p

Just remember that the Arnui5 is still a freighter!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone else joining us on the June 10th cruise?? 7 weeks from tomorrow.

We're on this June 10 cruise also. We have an ocean view since the balconies were sold out. :( But it will still be fun. First time on a freighter, but I've read all the blogs I can find, so I think we know what to expect.

Will be our first time also on a freighter. Been on the Paul Gauguin 3 times. Want to do something different this year. What room number do you have. We'll be in 7315. Come by and said hi. We'll John and Janine.

We're a few decks below you :) in 3621. It's really getting close now. Are you getting local currency beforehand? We're planning to get it in Papeete before boarding the ship since we arrive the night before.

Caroline and Michael

Yes order ours from Wells Fargo Bank. We will pick it up on Thursday. I'm so ready for this trip. Have you been to these islands before? We visit a few of them last year on the Paul Gauguin cruise ship. You will love it.

Thanks for the tip on Wells Fargo. We looked into it, but Michael says we'll just hit the cash machine in Papeete. I don't think we'll need that much cash since all our transfers and hotels are pre-paid. Mostly for trinkets on the islands, I'm thinking. No, we've never been to these islands before but have heard nothing but good things about them.

I'm adding to my list of things to remember to pack! Woo hoo!

• 2 weeks later...
Is it Saturday yet? Hurry hurry we're getting on the plane Friday. Ship on Saturday. Make cabin 7315 ready for us to celebrate our 35 wedding anniversary.

Congratulations on your anniversary [emoji898]what an awesome way to celebrate have fun [emoji41]look for your review!