Grenadines,Royal Clipper.

janecambridge

Hello.Nice to hear from you.

We have done one Royal clipper sailing in the Caribbean,not the Grenadines.We are staying in Barbados a few days before the sailing and then staying on one of the islands after.( big burthday sailing).

Sailed Princess,Cunard,Regent,Disney and recently Oceania,but Royal Clipper is our favourite.

Have you sailed Star clippers before?

Yes, Star Flyer in the Med. A different experience from the big cruise ships we normally frequent but very enjoyable. Simpler food but good; smaller cabins but adequate. Might be larger on Royal Clipper.

Sailing out of port the sails were raised (even if the wind was against us) and Vangelis Conquest of Paradise was played over the speaker system. To this day I get emotional when I hear that music.

We spend three days prior and four days post cruise at Sandals in Barbados.

Will we meet?

Sailed Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, Celebrity, Azamara, Princess etc. Oceania is our favourite. So far.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Alan and Chris

Counting down the days.Yesterday we were at the Travel show in Olympia and chatted to the reps there.Our cruise is almost fully booked except a couple of insides and the owners suite! Dave asked about the owners suite price( thinking its a special occasion so a deal might be in hand), but there is no discount on it and even if we asked on embarkation,we are unlikely to get a deal.It will stay empty.But it does not have a balcony,just a huge room.Waste of room for us as we are always outside..

My friend recently returned from Sandals in Barbados and loved it,she thought much better than some of the others.

Looking forward to a warm start to the new year.😉

• 1 month later...

Getting worried.Some friends of ours just took their first Royal clipper cruise from Martinique around some Caribbean islands.They did not have a good time.The weather was poor,which didn't help.Their whole itinerary was disrupted,they did not stop at one beach,even when the weather improved.The Captain was rude and shouting at the staff when they announced the new routes, not letting passengers know where they were going..For some reason there was a petition signed by all the passengers,who were very angry with their trip.....I'm hoping it was a one off due to the different captain,poor weather and the ship having been on a private hire the week before and in the med....

I think that the Hurricane season in the Caribbean officially ends on the 30th November. I seem to recollect that there was a strong late storm this year - maybe that is what your friends were caught up in. Friends of ours arriving by air in to St Lucia at around that time were initially prevented from landing in St Lucia by a storm and the plane diverted to Barbados for a few hours before returning to land in St Lucia when the weather had improved.

Getting safely through a storm is a very testing challenge for the Captain of a ship (of any size) and the three most important things about being on a ship come in to play - safety, safety, safety.

I see you are going on the RC on the 21st January - the hurricane season will be long gone by then and the trade winds should have settled in - you will be in high season. You should have good weather - we will be following you on the RC on the 28th January on the Windwards itinerary. We have done the Windwards and the Grenadines before.

Have a great holiday

Thank you so much.Of course,the hurricane season slipped my mind.

Apparently this was the captains first sail on that itinerary.Stress enough I guess....

Of all the Cruises we have done,The Royal is our favourite.

Having always had carribbean holidays at the beginning of the year,we have been there in high season and enjoyed beautiful weather.

🌞🌴

• 1 month later...