Best prescription seasickness medicine?

alj1208

Hi: I am not a first-time cruiser, but I thought this would be a good forum to get some advice. I would like recommendations for prescription seasickness medication. The medicine I have used in the past, Scopace pills, worked great for me but has been discontinued. It was the same medicine that is contained in the patch, but at a lower dose and could be taken on an "as needed" basis. I will bring Bonine, but I have found it doesn't always work 100% for me in rougher seas. I am considering the Transderm Scop patch, but I have heard so many negative stories. Scopace pills were good because the dose was lower than the patch. Please share your suggestions for prescription meds (I already have all the info I need on over-the-counter or non-drug interventions).

There is no one "best" medication, as everyone is different. I would be discussing this with your doctor. Getting medical advice from a bunch of people who you don't know, and that know nothing about you, is not the "best" course.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I do have a doctor's appointment to discuss this. However, I find the personal experiences of others to be very useful in making a decision. So, please share your own experiences with prescription motion sickness meds - with the understanding that of course I will get direct advice from my doctor.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I do have a doctor's appointment to discuss this. However, I find the personal experiences of others to be very useful in making a decision. So, please share your own experiences with prescription motion sickness meds - with the understanding that of course I will get direct advice from my doctor.

My wife and her father have used Bonine (meclizine) in the OTC version occasionally (Father in law fairly regularly). No need for prescribed meds.

You might want to ask your doctor about Reglan, which is a high-powered antacid. I had a friend whose doctor prescribed it for her and her husband who were both violently prone to seasickness. They started taking it 3-4 days before the cruise and all during the cruise, and never had one bit of seasickness, even in rough seas. The nice part about it is that it won't make you drowsy like Bonine can.

Granted, this is all hearsay, so take the recommendation for what it is worth, but it is something to at least ask about.

I know there can be nasty side effects to the scop patches. However, I have used them several times now and suffered nothing worse than a dry mouth ( and my usual meds cause this anyway). My GP was happy to prescribe as I had tried both OTC and other prescription meds with no success. I often see posters saying that one should not drink alcohol while using the patches but, again, I have done so with no deleterious effects (and my GP knows I do this).

Certainly talk to your own physician. But the potential side effects of the Transderm Scop patch are legendary among cruise ship physicians (one of whom is a friend of ours). But plenty of folks have used the Patch with little problem. Personally, we would just use Bonine (start taking it in advance) possibly combined with ginger or ginger pills.

Getting back to the "patch" one funny story is about an elderly lady who was found wondering the corridors of a ship...late at night......sans any clothes. A HAL physician once entertained our dinner table with this story (with related humorous details) which was made more amusing by one of our tablemates who was wearing the patch.

Hank

Since you know Scopolamine in the lower dosage of the pill worked for you, I see two obvious choices:

1) buying the same dose from a compounding pharmacy who can prep gels/capsules for you;

2) using the patch with a bandaid under it to reduce your skin contact area. Smaller area = less drug transfer = lower dose.

NB: DO NOT CUT PATCHES unless they specifically state that they can be safely cut - depending how they are manufactured a 'half patch' can actually end up giving you a much faster transfer rate, so even though the total amount of drug is reduced you could still effectively OD as you receive it quicker...

You can also just try the patch when you're at home and see if you have any problems. If you do, just take it off and you're not relying on it to enjoy your vacation. If you don't have side-effects, then you're good to go.

Wife and I both have used the patch with no side-effects.

You can also just try the patch when you're at home and see if you have any problems. If you do, just take it off and you're not relying on it to enjoy your vacation. If you don't have side-effects, then you're good to go.

Wife and I both have used the patch with no side-effects.

Yes, this is a very good idea!

My wife and her father have used Bonine (meclizine) in the OTC version occasionally (Father in law fairly regularly). No need for prescribed meds.

I just saw my PCP today for something else, but took the opportunity to ask him for his recommendation for a seasickness remedy. His suggestion: Bonine (Meclizine) -- just as you said. He said it has fewer side effects than other options, and since I've never experienced seasickness before, it would be a good start. I've never been on a cruise, but I've done whale watching trips, deep sea fishing trips, and many many ferries with not even a hint of queasiness, and I've traveled cross country via Amtrak without problems. So I'm optimistic.

I just saw my PCP today for something else, but took the opportunity to ask him for his recommendation for a seasickness remedy. His suggestion: Bonine (Meclizine) -- just as you said. He said it has fewer side effects than other options, and since I've never experienced seasickness before, it would be a good start. I've never been on a cruise, but I've done whale watching trips, deep sea fishing trips, and many many ferries with not even a hint of queasiness, and I've traveled cross country via Amtrak without problems. So I'm optimistic.

When we first started sailing we took Bonine.

We would start taking it two nights before we left and then every night before we went to bed once we are on the ship. Worked like a charm..

Now we take it with us but haven't had to use it in a number of years. But I always take it just in case...😊

Is dramamine not sold anymore? I've never used anti-seasickness pills before, but it has been ages since I was on a boat or ferry, especially in open seas, and I've never been on a cruise. I didn't even know the patch was prescription only - I wasn't considering it really because I've had reactions from the glue on a band aid before! (Around an open wound or especially sensitive skin)

I sometimes take Pepcid in prescription strength amounts for another reason (on doctor recommendation/permission), but wanted to get something for my personal med kit just in case.

Is dramamine not sold anymore? I've never used anti-seasickness pills before, but it has been ages since I was on a boat or ferry, especially in open seas, and I've never been on a cruise. I didn't even know the patch was prescription only - I wasn't considering it really because I've had reactions from the glue on a band aid before! (Around an open wound or especially sensitive skin)

I sometimes take Pepcid in prescription strength amounts for another reason (on doctor recommendation/permission), but wanted to get something for my personal med kit just in case.

Dramamine is still available, and I asked my PCP specifically about it. His opinion was that it has more side effects than meclizine (Bonine), especially drowsiness (and I'm somewhat prone to that anyway with allergy meds). And, like you, I'm allergic to many adhesives used with bandaids, adhesive tape, etc., so the patch might be problematic.

Sooooo ... I just ordered some OTC meclizine for my September cruise (my first ever cruise) which I'll take along just in case.

Dramamine is still available, and I asked my PCP specifically about it. His opinion was that it has more side effects than meclizine (Bonine), especially drowsiness (and I'm somewhat prone to that anyway with allergy meds). And, like you, I'm allergic to many adhesives used with bandaids, adhesive tape, etc., so the patch might be problematic.

Sooooo ... I just ordered some OTC meclizine for my September cruise (my first ever cruise) which I'll take along just in case.

We might be related! I'm definitely taking the allergy meds too, just because I don't know if I won't be allergic to stuff blooming in the Alaskan ports - and allergies themselves make me drowsy. I plan on taking naps in the spa, but I don't want to have a drugged nap :) I actually take the Pepcid for hive reactions too.

I think I'll be ordering the same stuff then. Thanks!

On a side note - you are from B'ham? I went to Western - I love Bellingham! Wish they had a cruise port stop - it would be great to leave from it and tack on some time visiting the old haunts.

We might be related! I'm definitely taking the allergy meds too, just because I don't know if I won't be allergic to stuff blooming in the Alaskan ports - and allergies themselves make me drowsy. I plan on taking naps in the spa, but I don't want to have a drugged nap :) I actually take the Pepcid for hive reactions too.

I think I'll be ordering the same stuff then. Thanks!

On a side note - you are from B'ham? I went to Western - I love Bellingham! Wish they had a cruise port stop - it would be great to leave from it and tack on some time visiting the old haunts.

I live in Bellingham, yes! Moved up here from Seattle to attend grad school in 2006 as an older "non-traditional student," fell in love with the area, and stayed. I'm doing a Holland America 14-day cruise to Alaska in September, beginning and ending in Seattle. I feel lucky to be living close to two popular cruise stops (Seattle & Vancouver) -- makes it a little more convenient, I think.

I live in Bellingham, yes! Moved up here from Seattle to attend grad school in 2006 as an older "non-traditional student," fell in love with the area, and stayed. I'm doing a Holland America 14-day cruise to Alaska in September, beginning and ending in Seattle. I feel lucky to be living close to two popular cruise stops (Seattle & Vancouver) -- makes it a little more convenient, I think.

GO VIKINGS!!! My grandparents met at Western - then Bellingham Normal. Grandpa didn't get to finish - I think it was more finances than grades, although I have not confirmed this (it is what I was told, but considering Gma was a teacher and an academic rock star, it might have been a pride thing). Grandma, and Grandpa's sisters graduated (I think) as well as some of Grandpa's hometown best friends (McCleary area, and one of the besties married one of the sisters). My goal in the next couple of years is to dig out proof I'm related to all of them so that the special archives section and Registrar will cough up their academic records. I've already found mention of them in old school newspapers, etc.!

I'm doing Alaska via Norwegian from a Sunday to a Sunday out of Seattle in July - actually with my BFF from WWU.

If I decide I like cruising, one of my goals is to save up for the more expensive (but look incredible) Alumni trips on a river cruise.

• 1 month later...
Hi: I am not a first-time cruiser, but I thought this would be a good forum to get some advice. I would like recommendations for prescription seasickness medication. The medicine I have used in the past, Scopace pills, worked great for me but has been discontinued. It was the same medicine that is contained in the patch, but at a lower dose and could be taken on an "as needed" basis. I will bring Bonine, but I have found it doesn't always work 100% for me in rougher seas. I am considering the Transderm Scop patch, but I have heard so many negative stories. Scopace pills were good because the dose was lower than the patch. Please share your suggestions for prescription meds (I already have all the info I need on over-the-counter or non-drug interventions).

On my 1st cruise I tried MotionEaze and took prescription Meclizine and neither helped with sea sickness. I saw my Dr before my 2nd cruise and he prescribed the Scoplamine patch. It worked great. I had no sea sickness and no side effects that I can remember. Everyone is different, so what works for me may not work for you. Your Dr will prescribe what he/she thinks will work best for you.

You might want to ask your doctor about Reglan, which is a high-powered antacid. I had a friend whose doctor prescribed it for her and her husband who were both violently prone to seasickness. They started taking it 3-4 days before the cruise and all during the cruise, and never had one bit of seasickness, even in rough seas. The nice part about it is that it won't make you drowsy.

That is an odd use for Reglan, which does not prevent motion sickness. It's not an antacid. And, it can have many side effects, including drowsiness, and others that are much more serious.