Auckland Questions

betonic

We're taking a HAL cruise that starts and ends in Auckland at the end of November. Our flight from LAX arrives 9:20am the day before the cruise departs. I have reserved at the Hilton but can change that. On disembarkation day our flight is at 3pm.

My questions are what can we jam into our time pre cruise considering we'll be getting off a very long flight? Is the Hilton ok for what we're planning?

Can you recommend a private driver to pick us up at disembark, take us on a 4 hour tour and drop us at the airport?

We like good food and culture but not interested in museums on such a short trip. We are also happy to board the ship after the rush, around 3pm.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Staying at the Hilton is a great idea. You're right there on the harbor next to the ship.

If you get a second wind you can certainly walk around the area there to try to stay awake for the rest of the day. I think there is also a hop on hop off bus that stops right by the hotel and you can go around the city center area including to the Sky Tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staying at the Hilton is a great idea. You're right there on the harbor next to the ship.

If you get a second wind you can certainly walk around the area there to try to stay awake for the rest of the day. I think there is also a hop on hop off bus that stops right by the hotel and you can go around the city center area including to the Sky Tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second this....if you're flight arrives at 9.20am or so, you will be at the hotel probably between 11 and noon..... The Hilton is great for watching the ships come and go if you go for an ocean view room. The viaduct and wynyard areas are easy walking distance for great bars and restaurants and if you are into sailing. Also you are situated right by the ferry building - a great relaxing trip could be to catch the ferry across to devonport which is a beautiful victorian suburb over the harbour with a great view back at the city.

Certainly plenty of things to do without too much effort. Kelly Tarltons has a free bus which operates from close to the Hilton if you are interested in some of the South Pacific marine life....

Thank you.

Is the easiest way to get from the airport to the Hilton a taxi?

How about disembarkation? I really want to spend some time in the morning seeing some of Auckland as opposed to sitting at the airport.

A taxi is probably the easiest. The Hilton is at the far end of Princes Wharf so best to have a transport option that drops you at the door. It's a fantastic location. There are plenty of great restaurants/cafes in the downtown area, including around the Viaduct Basin and the Wynyard Quarter.

I really recommend a ferry trip across to Devonport. It's a lovely place to wander around for an hour or two.

I'm sure there will be companies that you could book a private tour on disembarkation day, just look online. HAL may even offer such a tour.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We will spend 2 days in Aukland from a cruise ship one day has an included city tour. What would you suggest on the other? Will there be plenty to do if we take the ferry across to Devonport? A wine tour is offered is the country side worth spending $$$ to see?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone used Quick Shuttle from the Auckland Airport to downtown. I've received a quote for 2 people, private transfer of NZ$75. Have yet to confirm, but it doesn't seem too bad a price. Just trying to see if this is a reputable company.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
Has anyone used Quick Shuttle from the Auckland Airport to downtown. I've received a quote for 2 people, private transfer of NZ$75. Have yet to confirm, but it doesn't seem too bad a price. Just trying to see if this is a reputable company.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Earlier this year we used Discount Taxi, the rate was $40 cash from airport to downtown, the CBD - Central Business District. (To airport-$45.). Each time we had a local driver in a new Toyota Camry.

We contacted them once through Customs and in the Arrivals hall. Using the "Free phone" - payphone, we made a "Free call" - think 1-800 number to Discount. Operator tells you car number and ours was there in 3 minutes. You walk past a McDonalds and out the door and go to the LEFT to meet the car. I understand regular cabs are $75 and higher.

We are in Auckland this December and will use them again.

Earlier this year we used Discount Taxi, the rate was $40 cash from airport to downtown, the CBD - Central Business District. (To airport-$45.). Each time we had a local driver in a new Toyota Camry.

We contacted them once through Customs and in the Arrivals hall. Using the "Free phone" - payphone, we made a "Free call" - think 1-800 number to Discount. Operator tells you car number and ours was there in 3 minutes. You walk past a McDonalds and out the door and go to the LEFT to meet the car. I understand regular cabs are $75 and higher.

We are in Auckland this December and will use them again.

What a great suggestion. We will be there in February. I'll check them out. As long as they're not like Uber I'm happy to try them. I'm very anti-Uber as I see it as unfair to registered taxi companies/owners who pay a small fortune for their taxi plates.

What a great suggestion. We will be there in February. I'll check them out. As long as they're not like Uber I'm happy to try them. I'm very anti-Uber as I see it as unfair to registered taxi companies/owners who pay a small fortune for their taxi plates.

I have similar views on Uber and sentiments for the taxi drivers. They are taxis, not Uber or remotely Uber like. From what I have read, Uber and similar will be more expensive than Discount and similar taxis.

I have similar views on Uber and sentiments for the taxi drivers. They are taxis, not Uber or remotely Uber like. From what I have read, Uber and similar will be more expensive than Discount and similar taxis.

Thanks so much for that, Ken. I've made a note of them and will use them when we fly into Auckland in February. Good to know there are alternatives.

• 2 weeks later...

New Zealand has a deregulated taxi industry so no real costs for taxi licence. As a local and flying from AKL multiple times per week please be careful of discount cabs as it can be a lottery most of the time. Uber is best in AKL