Where does Viking Star dock in Athens (Piraeus), Greece?

moatenote

We'll be on the Viking Star next May, 2018 for the Empires of the Mediterranean cruise (can't wait!), starting in Athens, Greece. We're thinking of staying in a hotel at/near the port (Piraeus) and would appreciate any information/suggestions about hotels in the area for the night before our cruise. Also, does anyone know where the Star docks there??

Hi, we are on that cruise as well! This is our first time traveling internationally and we are so excited! So happy that there will be at least four of us on the ship… Ha ha. Hopefully someone will post an answer to your question, it would be nice to know about a good hotel. Can't wait for this cruise!

Piraeus is a big port. It has both cruise ships, ferries and other ships lined up along the various piers. There are hotels there but nothing compared to Athens.

I suggest for hotel recommendation you read Port of Call forum here in CC and also go to Trip Advisor.

Athen is about 30 mintues away depending upon traffic. I would stay in Athens at a hotel with a roof top bar that has a view of the Acropolis. Take a taxi from hotel to port for your cruise. No need to arrive at ship until noon.

Been to Athens twice and love the area around the Acropolis called Plaka, the food and outdoor cafes are wonderful.

I agree with Azulann. We did this cruise last September and flew in to Athens 2 days early. Took a taxi from the airport (I think the cost was regulated, set amount) to the Plaka Hotel. Easy to walk to many places, close to plenty of restaurants, reasonable cost. Check Trip Advisor. Hotel had a rooftop bar with view of Acropolis. The second day we met 2 other couples from the Roll Call and did a day long tour of the Acropolis and other

sites with a great lunch.

Then took a taxi to the ship to board. Much better to stay in Athens in the Plaka area.

A few years ago, we stayed at the Hermes Hotel, which is a sister hotel to Plaka Hotel. It a modest hotel, has a great breakfast, wonderful staff. Tripadvisor rates it very highly. From the Plaka area, we walked to the Metro station and took a ferry to Santorini from Piraeus. On our way back from Crete, again, we took the ferry to Piraeus and the Metro to Athens Plaka area and walked to the hotel.

Just remember to be careful (as per Rick Steves) about pickpockets. This November, we will be staying at the Hermes pre cruise and will either take the Metro again, or the bus from Sytagma Square to the port. I understand the terminal is further away from the Metro, so will make a decision once we know which terminal Viking will use.

Mia

We will be on the same itinerary in March. We are staying at the Herodion Hotel. Reasonable rates has great reviews on TripAdvisor, with roof top restaurant with a view of the acropolis.

Thanks for you wonderful suggestions of staying in central Athens. We changed our minds and will be staying at the Plaka Hotel for that night--the photos of the view from their rooftop terrace are amazing!

We are going on the Empires of the Mediterranean cruise May 12 with Viking. Since we have been to Athens many times, we chose to explore the port city for a one night stay at the Hotel Phidias. I really don't know anything about the hotel but it was rated well and reviewed high by past guests.

• 6 years later...