Explorer H Suites

I've noticed that travel agents, and cruisers alike seem to consider the 'standard

suite' on Explorer to be the G1/G2 Deluxe Veranda Suites. Yet, below that are the smaller and less expensive H Veranda Suites. There seems to be next to no information, reviews or press on the H Suites. Even on Regent's website, they show an identical picture of the G Suite to represent the H. And the H category is the only one not to have received a virtual tour.

On YouTube many travel agents have done video walkthroughs of all the suite categories — except for H.

It just seems to me like everyone, including Regent, seems to act as if these suites don't really exist. Anybody stayed in one and can offer their thoughts?

My TA , my DH and I do not consider "G" category suites comparable to Deluxe Veranda suites on other Regent ships (I know - the dimensions are the same as Mariner but Mariner has a better closet and bathroom and a bit more room to move around) We consider the "F" and Concierge suites to be more comparable. I just noticed that Regent is calling the "H" suites simple "Veranda" (without any reference to deluxe).

When we were on the christening cruise, we toured all suite levels except "H" as it was "unavailable". It would be nice to know why they are keeping this category a secret (perhaps this is because Regent "almost promised" their customers, these were going to be suites for passengers cruising as "singles". In any case, since the "H" suite is 219 sq. ft. and the "G" suite is 253 sq. ft., and tthey show the same picture, I would assume that the suite is laid out the same but is quite a bit smaller.

Having said this, your TA should be able to give you more information about this suite.

My TA , my DH and I do not consider "G" category suites comparable to Deluxe Veranda suites on other Regent ships (I know - the dimensions are the same as Mariner but Mariner has a better closet and bathroom and a bit more room to move around) We consider the "F" and Concierge suites to be more comparable. I just noticed that Regent is calling the "H" suites simple "Veranda" (without any reference to deluxe).

When we were on the christening cruise, we toured all suite levels except "H" as it was "unavailable". It would be nice to know why they are keeping this category a secret (perhaps this is because Regent "almost promised" their customers, these were going to be suites for passengers cruising as "singles". In any case, since the "H" suite is 219 sq. ft. and the "G" suite is 253 sq. ft., and tthey show the same picture, I would assume that the suite is laid out the same but is quite a bit smaller.

Having said this, your TA should be able to give you more information about this suite.

During our Panama Canal cruise over New Years, Cabin 601 and another H very near it were occupied by the young dancer/singer couple and the two cooking demonstration women, respectively.

My TA , my DH and I do not consider "G" category suites comparable to Deluxe Veranda suites on other Regent ships (I know - the dimensions are the same as Mariner but Mariner has a better closet and bathroom and a bit more room to move around) We consider the "F" and Concierge suites to be more comparable.

TC2 and others, I agree with the first part of the quote (Explorer G < Deluxe Veranda on other ships), but not the latter. We consider the F (and Concierge) to be significantly nicer than the Deluxe Veranda suites on any of the other ships. So:

Explorer H < Explorer G < other ship's Deluxe Veranda << Explorer F/Concierge in our opinion

Scott, I agree with you a but, for the sake of posters not familiar with the Explorer, I wanted differentiate "F" and Concierge suites from the "G" (and "H") category suites. We definitely find the "F" and Concierge suites on Explorer to be the best of any Regent ship. The Mariner is a tough one for me to use as a comparison. While the categories below PH are not that small, they are smaller than on other Regent ships and my DH really doesn't care for them. On the other hand, as you know, the PH suites on Mariner are large - much larger than Voyager and Navigator.

DeepFreeze63, thank you for sharing that information. It sounds as if they found a use for these tiny suites. They are likely much nicer than being in the crew quarters! Based on what you posted, Regent probably puts their lecturers in these suites as well which is why the "H" suites rarely have availability.

We have cruised the Mariner more times than any other Regent Ship (not considering the Paul Gauguin, which only used to be a Regent ship). All suites on the Mariner below penthouse are the same size -- 253 sq. ft. plus balcony. To be honest, we wouldn't care to take any cruise in a suite smaller than that, and wouldn't consider one that small for a cruise longer than 7 nights. I don't know if Regent is "hiding" their tiny Category H Explorer suites or not, but if I were Regent I would hide them. I don't know if they were intended for single cruisers in the design phase or not. But if they were not, they are a huge mistake, in my opinion.

There are only twelve H cabins, and the category will be wait-listed before you can work up a decent sweat complaining about how unsuitable they are.

Obviously you are right but the TS asked the question. In terms of the "G" suites, we have posters that praise them on the board and do not care for them when speaking to friends. Sometimes when you take a strong position that the "G" suite is going to be fine for 2 or even 3 people and then spend time in the suite, it is easier to say that they liked it rather than to say that they were hanging clothes around the suite because the closet was too small.

IMO, the only people that will find the "G" or "H" suites to be acceptable are people used to mainstream cruise lines. premium cruise lines with small suites or perhaps Crystal. The majority of Regent cruisers would prefer to avoid these suites at all costs.

My wife and two kids booked adjoining "H" suites for an April, 2018, cruise at the recommendation of our TA. After a little investigation and careful consideration we upgraded to "F" suites for a few hundred dollars difference. The thought of 11 days in a small suite with a tiny bathroom and a single sink and no walk-in closet cured me of saving a few hundred dollars.

Obviously you are right but the TS asked the question. In terms of the "G" suites, we have posters that praise them on the board and do not care for them when speaking to friends. Sometimes when you take a strong position that the "G" suite is going to be fine for 2 or even 3 people and then spend time in the suite, it is easier to say that they liked it rather than to say that they were hanging clothes around the suite because the closet was too small.

IMO, the only people that will find the "G" or "H" suites to be acceptable are people used to mainstream cruise lines. premium cruise lines with small suites or perhaps Crystal. The majority of Regent cruisers would prefer to avoid these suites at all costs.

All, or predominantly all, that have sailed in G2 cabins have praised them on this board. Those that have toured them but not sailed them have criticised them. I am not used to mainstream cruise lines. I am used to Regent, Silver Explorer, and Paul Gaugin. The only reason I won't be in another G2 any time in the near future is that I prefer the other ships.

Marc

We were in an F2 in April and my folks were in a G2. For the small difference in cost I'd take the F2 just for the nicer bathroom and larger closet. I can't imagine an H would work for us, but I can't say for sure as I've never been inside one. But I've already got it in my head that an F is my minimum requirement on Explorer, just as an F is on Navigator.

To each his or her own...

But I've already got it in my head that an F is my minimum requirement on Explorer, just as an F is on Navigator.

To each his or her own...

You should really check out the Cat H on Navigator; great location. Most folks won't take an F as most are in stern; a Cat E on Deck 6 are the creme de la creme.

Marc

My wife and two kids booked adjoining "H" suites for an April, 2018, cruise at the recommendation of our TA. After a little investigation and careful consideration we upgraded to "F" suites for a few hundred dollars difference. The thought of 11 days in a small suite with a tiny bathroom and a single sink and no walk-in closet cured me of saving a few hundred dollars.

Have to ask whether or to your TA has been on Explorer. It sounds as if you know a lot more about the Explorer than your TA does. Our TA (that has sailed on Explorer and knows all of the suites) tried to change the mind of one of her CC clients but they insisted on a "G" suite (for 3 people). There are obviously some people that are not bothered by tiny suites. Many years ago, we may have been okay with a small suite (we did not cruise prior to 2004). Now that we are used to a bit more luxury, we would not consider an "H" or "G" suite. While we prefer suites with 1 1/2 bathrooms, we found the "F" and Concierge suites to be surprisingly comfortable!

You should really check out the Cat H on Navigator; great location. Most folks won't take an F as most are in stern; a Cat E on Deck 6 are the creme de la creme.

Marc

The three times we've sailed Navigator have been in a PH B (deck 10, forward, nice location), D on deck 8, and a Navigator Suite (too much noise from the pool deck. A Cat H on Nav is a non-starter for us on probably 98% of itineraries as we're kind of spoiled with our balconies.

Have to ask whether or to your TA has been on Explorer. It sounds as if you know a lot more about the Explorer than your TA does. Our TA (that has sailed on Explorer and knows all of the suites) tried to change the mind of one of her CC clients but they insisted on a "G" suite (for 3 people). There are obviously some people that are not bothered by tiny suites. Many years ago, we may have been okay with a small suite (we did not cruise prior to 2004). Now that we are used to a bit more luxury, we would not consider an "H" or "G" suite. While we prefer suites with 1 1/2 bathrooms, we found the "F" and Concierge suites to be surprisingly comfortable!

I take this as direct criticism of me; why do you attack me in the "third person?"

Marc

My sister and I are interested to hear from anyone who has stayed in a G or H TS (tiny suite) with the bed separated and how that worked out..Does the drape work well enough for separating the sleeping/sitting area? I'm the night owl and just thinking the whole cabin might be tight. thanks

My sister and I are interested to hear from anyone who has stayed in a G or H TS (tiny suite) with the bed separated and how that worked out..Does the drape work well enough for separating the sleeping/sitting area? I'm the night owl and just thinking the whole cabin might be tight. thanks

'

We were in a G2 with the beds separated; my father in one, me in the other, and wife on couch. It is tight in between the beds but not too bad. One bed is flush against the wall so you do have to get out In the middle.

The curtain works great. One thing it really does well is keep the sitting area colder than bedroom area. So much so that halfway through the cruise I moved to the couch and let my wife have the bed.

Marc

'

We were in a G2 with the beds separated; my father in one, me in the other, and wife on couch. It is tight in between the beds but not too bad. One bed is flush against the wall so you do have to get out In the middle.

The curtain works great. One thing it really does well is keep the sitting area colder than bedroom area. So much so that halfway through the cruise I moved to the couch and let my wife have the bed.

Marc

Thank you very much for your input. With only 2 people, I'm thinking that we could keep the regular bed intact and simply have separate sleeping quarters by drawing the the drape and one of us using the couch sleeper. It does sound quite doable.

Just to add. The F suite on Explorer is both good and bad. Good bathroom and closet and plenty drawer space, but the bed is unusually short and the furniture consists of a small narrow settee and a desk chair. It badly needs an armchair and not the chair they supply on request which is not much different from the desk chair.

There isn't really room for an armchair. Regent even felt that a small extra chair or stool would make the living room area too cramped (according to a Regent executive onboard). However, as has been said, you can certainly ask for a chair that will the same or similar to the chair at the desk. The chairs are comfortable and are the right height for the table in case you are dining in the suite.

IMO, I think most guests who have stayed in those suites would disagree

From reading the boards, most passengers simply ask for an extra chair. We have stayed in the F1 and concierge suites and find them great - just the way they are. After all, two people can only occupy two seats (and both could occupy the sofa). The issue would be if guests were invited in and again, chairs can be requested.

Not sure how we got from "H" suites to "G" suites and now "F" suites. It would be nice if someone that has stayed in a "H" suite or even has a picture of one would post. These are like "ghost" suites - no one can say much about them.