Getting Canadian Dollars

janmitch

Thanks so much! Just what I needed to know.

You may consider exchanging a small amount of USD to CAD prior to your leaving for your cruise, if you have a foreign exchange location in your city. Some exchange places may offer a better rate than at an ATM in Halifax, and then if you feel you need more cash, you can find a bank ATM.

I just exchanged a small amount of USD to CAD for my trip to Montreal, and will withdraw some as needed from a bank ATM in Montreal or Quebec City. But then again, there are dozens of foreign exchange locations in Downtown Miami, so it was convenient for me to do this prior to my departure :)

I called my bank (in suburban Milwaukee) and although they did not have Canadian dollars on hand, they directed me to another nearby branch where I exchanged at the going rate without fees. The teller also told me that whatever was not spent, they would exchange back to dollars upon our return.

We were just on Halifax and Saint John a little over a month ago. I was going to get some CAD before we left on the cruise but never did. We found that within the touristy areas at least shops and restaurants gladly too US currency. The only caveat we ran into once or twice was that if we got change back from a cash sale we got it on CAD.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
We were just on Halifax and Saint John a little over a month ago. I was going to get some CAD before we left on the cruise but never did. We found that within the touristy areas at least shops and restaurants gladly too US currency. The only caveat we ran into once or twice was that if we got change back from a cash sale we got it on CAD.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yes, most tourist areas in Canada accepts US Dollars. Like you already mentioned, if you got any change back - it would be CAD and in this case - you either turn it back to US Monies when you come back to US or keep it as a souvenir coins. :)

• 8 months later...

^Yes - Canada as a whole has significantly higher credit/debit card use for personal purchases than the US, which languishes in last place among developed countries on this front at still ~50% of shopping done with cash (offhand I believe we're up to over 70% across all transactions in the whole country, with 80%+ in urban centres up here - and many European countries make even that rate look low!) Even food trucks have Square or similar card-processing facilities these days. I can go literally weeks at a time without handling cash in Vancouver or any other Canadian city.

I'd stick to the same advice there as I give over this side - if you have fee-free credit cards, use them for everything you can. If you also have a fee-free ATM card, great, take out a few bucks - but if you have to pay even $5 to take cash out of an ATM you are better simply handing over a US$20 the first time you need to buy a bottle of water or some other very cheap thing (min transaction for credit & debit is usually $5, sometimes $10) and getting change back in Canadian. Use that change for any other small purchases. Even though the exchange rate will be worse than through an ATM, the lack of a fee makes for a nice % bump back in your favour.

Do most places accept credit cards in Halifax and Saint John? This would save the hassle of getting cash from the ATM since our credit cards have no foreign transaction fees.

Granted I live in a large urban area, but the last time I even touched cash was several months ago.

What about tipping for excursions? US or CAD? My bank requires a minimum of $250 to return CAD and get US dollars back. Frustrating!!!

I suspect tour guides would have no problem accepting US$.

What about tipping for excursions? US or CAD? My bank requires a minimum of $250 to return CAD and get US dollars back. Frustrating!!!

Anyone working in tourism in Canadian cruise ports EXPECTS to get much of their tips in USD... if they don't cross the border themselves enough to just keep it, there are plenty of options to convert it. You'll probably overtip them too by still handing over the same denomination notes as locals would, so most folks I know PREFER to get tipped in USD!!!

Anyone working in tourism in Canadian cruise ports EXPECTS to get much of their tips in USD... if they don't cross the border themselves enough to just keep it, there are plenty of options to convert it. You'll probably overtip them too by still handing over the same denomination notes as locals would, so most folks I know PREFER to get tipped in USD!!!

We tipped our Saint John guide and driver in USD and they both seemed fine with it. When we travel to Caribbean or Bahamian ports we also use USD as the guides to seem to expect it. We factor how much we are willing to pay in USD and if the conversion is in their favor it doesn't bother us.

eta: We did purchase a bottle of water at the Citadel in Halifax and were warned that change would be in CAD. We are planning a road trip to Niagara Falls though, so it should be handy to have a little cash.

Edited by pacruise804
additional cash info

Do most places accept credit cards in Halifax and Saint John? This would save the hassle of getting cash from the ATM since our credit cards have no foreign transaction fees.

Visa and MasterCard are widely accepted and used in Canada.

AMEX is accepted in fewer locations. Though it is common.

Discover, UnionPay, and JCB cards are not issued in Canada and most merchants do not display there logos, however it is not unusual to find that they will be processed.

One thing to note, is the US is one of the few countries in the world that has not universally switched to Chip+PIN on its credit cards. Canada has. If you are dealing with an automated machine (e.g., ticket kiosk) in Canada it will likely expect Chip+PIN card. A retail merchant can also process the transaction the "old way" by swiping and collecting a signature.

In Saint John there are tons on banks with ATMs within blocks of the cruise terminal. King St. one of the biggest tourist draws is also our financial district with BMO, TD Bank, Scotiabank, CIBC, National Bank, and RBC all on it. The street is about 2 cruise ships long (with about 11 stories increase in elevation). There is also shopping and the Canadian classic Tim Hortons too on King St.

Also everyone will have no problem taking US cash, we all know someone who goes shopping in Maine. Most of our banks also buy/sell Sterling and Euros as well as USD. (CIBC has the best availability of foreign cash on hand.) Foreign Exchange businesses are non-existent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get Canadian dollars at my local regional bank before I leave, they have them on hand, no fee. I've used my Master Card debit in Canada, don't remember outrageous fees. As a rule, I use my Visa credit card for purchases, taxi rides, meals, etc.!

• 2 weeks later...