Info on Formal Nights

Carnevale

We see that Regent's dress code states there are two formal / semi-formal nights (optional) on sailings of 16 nights or more. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but we love dressing for dinner so formal nights are a real plus for us.

Can anyone tell us if there is a way online at the Regent site to confirm the number of formal optional nights on the cruise we have booked? It seems to me that I read somewhere that info on the number of formal nights is in the documentation for each cruise but I haven't found it. Is this info that comes after final payment or something that I can find in advance of that?

Thanks in advance for any direction that can be provided on this.

Ask and ye shall receive...

https://www.regentcruises.com/about/regent-cruises-dress-code.html

Life Onboard Regent - Dress Code

RSSC_Couple_railing2.jpg Country Club casual (resort-style attire) is appropriate for daytime on board or ashore. Shorts are not appropriate after 6 p.m. in any of the public rooms or lounges. Guests are asked not to wear bathing suits in the restaurants and lounges at any time. Evening attire can be Country Club casual, informal (sport coat and tie recommended), or formal (black tie optional). Evening dress codes begin at 6 p.m. Depending on your itinerary, the dress code varies by ship and location. In your documents it states how many formal nights there are, and once on board, the suggested evening dress code is listed on the front page of your ship's daily newsletter.

The evening dress code is Elegant Casual, and Formal Optional. The number of Formal Optional nights per cruise is dependent upon the length of the cruise, as follows:

• Cruises of fourteen nights or less will be Elegant Casual for the duration
  • Cruises of fifteen nights or more will have two Formal Optional nights

Elegant Casual: Skirt, or slacks (no jeans) with a blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks (no jeans) and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional.

Formal Optional: While guests are welcome to dress each evening as per the Elegant Casual dress code, during Formal Optional evenings, guests may opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suit with tie for gentlemen.

[url=https://www.regentcruises.com/about/regent-cruises-dress-code.html][/url]

When I was working I had to where a jacket and tie every day and living in Phoenix made that awful in the summer, so now that I'm retired I dress nice but casual, no jacket or ties. I am so happy most cruise lines are doing away with requirements for formal nights! But if you love dressing up Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by goldenrod

We see that Regent's dress code states there are two formal / semi-formal nights (optional) on sailings of 16 nights or more. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but we love dressing for dinner so formal nights are a real plus for us.

Can anyone tell us if there is a way online at the Regent site to confirm the number of formal optional nights on the cruise we have booked? It seems to me that I read somewhere that info on the number of formal nights is in the documentation for each cruise but I haven't found it. Is this info that comes after final payment or something that I can find in advance of that?

Thanks in advance for any direction that can be provided on this.

First, the Dress Code that wcsdkqh kindly provided is not from the Regent website*. Stating that shorts are not "appropriate" after 6:00 p.m. is not exactly accurate...... even if the verbiage is on the Regent website ...... they are actually not permitted after 6:00 p.m. (nor are jeans). Below is the official Regent Dress Code:

WHAT IS THE DRESS CODE ONBOARD THE SHIPS?

Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime onboard or ashore, and consists of resort-style outfits. Casual wear, including shorts and jeans, is not appropriate after 6:00 pm, with the exception of the final evening of the cruise. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind on the last night of every voyage we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

The recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress includes skirt, or slacks with blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes are not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required. On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two evenings. On the two Formal Optional evenings, guests are welcome to dress as per the Elegant Casual dress code or opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with tie for gentlemen.

In terms of what nights the "Formal Optional" will be in effect, it is usually the second night which is the night of the Captain's Reception and the second to the last night at the Captains Farewell (an event not to be missed!). You will see men in polo's and Docker type pants, dress shirts and slacks, slacks and a sports jacket and suits with ties every night - on every cruise. It depends upon your preference. Therefore, you can dress up as many nights as you wish.

I tend to mention men's dress as they seem to have the most difficulty with the dress code. Women wear pants and tops, dresses (sun dresses or other types of dresses), and may (or may not) wear sparkly tops and a long skirt, long dress or even a cocktail dress on "special nights".

As mentioned, dressing up is not required. However, one must feel comfortable in a more casual attire while the majority of the passengers will dress up -- at least a little bit.

*It is a shame that many websites claim to be Regent websites. Regent's only website is at rssc.com.

When I was working I had to where a jacket and tie every day and living in Phoenix made that awful in the summer, so now that I'm retired I dress nice but casual, no jacket or ties. I am so happy most cruise lines are doing away with requirements for formal nights! But if you love dressing up Enjoy!

I wouldn't agree more........I wouldn't be booked on this line if we had to dress up formal........I'll be nicely dress, but if someone wants to go formal, be my guess but don't judge me.

Thanks to all the posters for this info. I hoped I might find a place in my online account that confirmed the number of formal nights on our sailing. Am I correct in assuming that with a 17 night sailing there will definitely be 2 formal optional nights?

I like that it is formal optional so those for whom formal isn't of interest have the choice to dress nicely but not formally and those of us who love formal dress can break out the tuxes and gowns.

Carnevale,

When you receive your final documents, the dates of the formal nights will be shown there. In my years of cruising with Regent, I have not seen the nights posted online.

Great to know - thx!

When do the final documents appear online or does Regent send them by post?

Still being in the active workforce, cruises in excess of 14 nights aren't on our radar...but I'd probably wear either a sport coat or suit with no tie on Formal Optional nights. In theory I don't mind dressing for dinner, but in practice I'm happier in slacks and a nice shirt.

We sailed on Cunard once for a 15-night Christmas/New Year's cruise and they had five formal nights. clear.png?emoji-embarrass-1727 Let's just say that packing was much more of a chore than on a typical Regent cruise. Suit, tux, dinner jacket, waistcoats, cummerbunds, numerous ties and various accoutrements...we got some nice photos out of it, but I wouldn't want to have to do it again. But that's just me.

Even on the shorter cruises we take, we often see people in evening wear - and I don't even give it a second thought. Wear what you want and enjoy!!

Great to know - thx!

When do the final documents appear online or does Regent send them by post?

Oh, forgot to answer this - you'll get your package of cruise docs approximately two weeks prior to sailing. We leave a week from Friday and don't have ours yet, but that's because we'd asked our TA to modify some pre and post excursions for us. They're being FedEx'd out today. Our last cruise we had them in hand about 2 1/2 weeks out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live in Phoenix and definitely agree with that one.

Okay everyone, say it with me: "BUT IT'S A DRY HEAT!"

You ever notice that the only people who say that are people who have never lived in the desert? ;p

Will disagree with you on this one. We baked in the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles for most of our lives and it was "DRY HEAT!". We still baked -- our steering wheels were too hot to touch -- leather seats were unbearable (could do a run-on sentence about this but you did that on another thread). We now live in an area by the sea so there is some humidity BUT, the temperatures rarely go above 80 degrees (and when it does we melt as very few places have air conditioning).

While a bit off topic, it is interesting how people perceive weather in other places. Today on Facebook, the C.D. on the Mariner posted what he felt was a beautiful picture of the sunset in Vancouver yesterday. Well, it was a nice picture but he was taking a picture of the sun through smoke from fires that have not only covered the city of Vancouver but where we live (50 miles away) and Seattle (another 90 miles from where we live). If there is anything positive about the fires, it is that it has kept the temperatures cooler because it blocks the sun. On the other hand, many people are having breathing and allergy issues. This has gone on for two weeks.

Okay, back to regular programming!