Great Barrier Reef - Pontoon?

tabby50894

I'm looking at tours for the Great Barrier Reef and it looks like there are basic 2 types: boats that can take you to more than one location and ones that take you to a pontoon that is used for a base for various activities. Since my DH is neither a snorkeler or a diver, I was thinking about doing the pontoon. Would like to hear your impressions - are there too many people for a good experience? We'll be going in October. Thanks!

While I have done a lot of snorkeling at the GBR, I have not done one of the pontoon GBR trips. However, I am familiar with their operations and I have read a lot of reviews of them on Trip Advisor. Below I have provided links to those reviews, so I suggest you read them and see if you like what you see.

If you are in Cairns, the boat that goes to a fixed pontoon on the Outer Reef is "Reef Magic". They do have the capacity to carry several hundred passengers (but it's not always full.) At the pontoon, you can see the Reef without getting wet by taking a glass bottom boat ride, a semi-submersible ride and going to the underwater viewing platform. For an extra fee, you can take a helicopter ride over the Reef. If you want to get in the water, there is a proscribed area for snorkeling and they also offer diving, including introductory dives (at an added cost). If you husband can swim, I recommend he give snorkeling a try as it's the best way to see the coral and sea life on the GBR.

If you are in Port Douglas, the boat that goes to a fixed pontoon on the Outer Reef is "Quicksilver". They carry a similar number of passengers and offer the same amenities as Reef Magic.

TA Reviews of Reef Magic: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g255069-d1052254-Reviews-Reef_Magic_Cruises-Cairns_Cairns_Region_Queensland.html

TA Reviews of Quicksilver: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g255070-d579517-Reviews-Quicksilver_Cruises-Port_Douglas_Queensland.html

I always recommend that you do the ship tours for the GBR. This is due to the time factor. The reef boats like Quicksilver and Reef Magic leave around 7.30am to 8am and most of the cruise ships don't get into port until later. They also get back around 4.30 to 5pm depending on the weather and most of the ships 'all aboard' is around this time. It is just too risky to depend on them getting you back. They don't care that you have to be back to the ship in time as you are only a small number in a catamaran that holds 400 odd passengers.

If you can get a group of 20 together I can put you onto a private charter that is less than $150 which includes lunch and they will do the tour to the ships itinerary. It is a small catamaran that holds a maximum of 20 passengers.

Thanks for your comments about taking the ship's tour due to time constraints, but I guess I should have mentioned that the trip to the Great Barrier Reef will be prior to our cruise to New Zealand.

In that case I believe you will find that the smaller day boats will provide a much better experience than the pontoon. Cairns or Port Douglas seem to be much better than Airlie Beach or the Whitsundays according to reviews I have read. There are a number of boats and there are numerous tripadvisor reviews. We went on the Sea Star. Maximum of 35 passengers, all equipment incl stinger suits, very nice lunch and normally visits two locations on the reef. Staff was extremely nice and helpful to learners. They also have a glass bottom boat for non snorkelers. All in all this was the best snorkeling experience we have had anywhere in the world incl Belize and French Polynesia.

Enjoy, Robbie

• 7 months later...

If you can get a group of 20 together I can put you onto a private charter that is less than $150 which includes lunch and they will do the tour to the ships itinerary. It is a small catamaran that holds a maximum of 20 passengers.

Would love to hear more about this. My email is my username at gmail.com

We will be on the Sea Princess, in port from 10 am to 7 pm. And based on the info I have, we dock.

Thanks!