Skagway - Beware Gold Dust Jewelry Store!

WarmWeatherZone

Gold Dust is the jewelry store closest to where the cruise ships dock in Skagway on Broadway (address: 2nd and Broadway), owner is Suzanne. The short version is I was looking at 14kt ammonite earrings and nothing caught my eye then Suzanne pulled out another tray and showed me some with nice stones but never mentioned they were only gold over sterling silver, not 14kt gold. Her final and lowest price, $725 before tax, was right on target for 14kt so I splurged and bought them. I was conned, plain and simple. They are worth $250-300 max, according to two separate experts, and probably not able to be reset due to how ammonite is put together.

The details: As soon as we got back to the cruise ship, tired after a long day of touring and ready to set sail, I saw the backs said 925 for silver. I then noticed no gold markings on the earrings. It was too late to go back to the store so I sent Suzanne an email. She responded, to her credit, but talked about the quality of the stone and sent an appraisal she wrote for $900. The appraisal noted it was a zircon in the setting, not a tiny diamond as she had assured me when I asked in the store. Also, she said multiple times they were on 70% clearance and had not been tagged yet as such, supposedly making the original price tag well over $2000 - clearly not a sterling silver price category nor even close to what the appraisal stated.

I emailed her back that I would be willing to pay half ($362), still too much but in the ballpark of their worth. I would rather do that than dispute the charges and have to leave bad reviews like this. No response. Yes, it was my fault for foolishly not double-checking everything. I was swayed by wanting to support a female business owner who lives in Alaska full-time with her three kids (at least that is what she told me was the case) and I had already bought a pair of circa $100 silver quartz earrings there from her salesman Jay. Now both pairs make me feel foolish and unhappy...and they were the only things I bought myself the entire trip.

If you find yourself in Skagway, avoid the Gold Dust jewelry store...or stop in and tell Suzanne she should be ashamed of herself! :mad::mad::mad:

She didn't say it was 14 kt did she? What is the description of the piece on the bill of sale? Is that accurate? Those would have more success disputing?

There are no laws regulating prices otherwise. Buyer's remorse is unfortunate as well.

Gold Dust is the jewelry store closest to where the cruise ships dock in Skagway on Broadway (address: 2nd and Broadway), owner is Suzanne. The short version is I was looking at 14kt ammonite earrings and nothing caught my eye then Suzanne pulled out another tray and showed me some with nice stones but never mentioned they were only gold over sterling silver, not 14kt gold. Her final and lowest price, $725 before tax, was right on target for 14kt so I splurged and bought them. I was conned, plain and simple. They are worth $250-300 max, according to two separate experts, and probably not able to be reset due to how ammonite is put together.

The details: As soon as we got back to the cruise ship, tired after a long day of touring and ready to set sail, I saw the backs said 925 for silver. I then noticed no gold markings on the earrings. It was too late to go back to the store so I sent Suzanne an email. She responded, to her credit, but talked about the quality of the stone and sent an appraisal she wrote for $900. The appraisal noted it was a zircon in the setting, not a tiny diamond as she had assured me when I asked in the store. Also, she said multiple times they were on 70% clearance and had not been tagged yet as such, supposedly making the original price tag well over $2000 - clearly not a sterling silver price category nor even close to what the appraisal stated.

I emailed her back that I would be willing to pay half ($362), still too much but in the ballpark of their worth. I would rather do that than dispute the charges and have to leave bad reviews like this. No response. Yes, it was my fault for foolishly not double-checking everything. I was swayed by wanting to support a female business owner who lives in Alaska full-time with her three kids (at least that is what she told me was the case) and I had already bought a pair of circa $100 silver quartz earrings there from her salesman Jay. Now both pairs make me feel foolish and unhappy...and they were the only things I bought myself the entire trip.

If you find yourself in Skagway, avoid the Gold Dust jewelry store...or stop in and tell Suzanne she should be ashamed of herself! :mad::mad::mad:

Thanks for the heads up. We'll be in Skagway early next month. We'll be sure to steer clear of Gold Dust Jewelry.

From one of my Skagway friends a few minutes ago: "I talked to one of their employees the other day that used to work for DI years ago. He said sales have been so bad and they won't be open next year. "Rent is too high, and no one is buying." This was a new business this year, so one season and done."

My wife has always been cautious in buying jewelry away from home in case problem arise like yours. We will stay clear of Gold Dust Jewelry Store. Thanks for the feedback,

I know a lot of people like to buy jewelry on a cruise but we are like you, very cautious about buying far away from home.

We do not buy jewelry on cruises. However, we have a friend who knows jewelry and does buy on cruises. Her advice is - if you do not know jewelry, make sure that you know your jeweler. If more people on cruises followed that advice, most of the jewelry stores at cruise ports would go out of business.

I just do not understand why apparently intelligent people who would never think about spending time in jewelry stores at home spend half of their port time on a cruise in jewelry stores. Do they leave their brains a home?

DON