Traveling to Alaska in late September

artbcpa

I was wondering if anyone has been to Alaska in late September. I normally wouldn't go that late in the season, but it is a great deal and we have not been able to travel because of illness in the family. So we are dying to go somewhere and this is on a 6-star ship we have not yet been on.

I would love to hear input from anyone who has done a mid-September or later cruise to Alaska.

I would go to Alaska anytime during the cruising season.

The upside to a sailing in September is fewer people in port as most children are in school, and less cruise ships.

Downside is less light and higher chance or rain.

However, it can rain anytime and weather being so unpredictable you never know what it might be.

Keith

No reason to avoid that time. Just keep in mind that the days are getting shorter, and nights longer.

I am curious what you call a 6* line, I know of regent and Silversea that cruise AK and are 5* lines but I did not know of any 6* lines there.

I am curious what you call a 6* line, I know of regent and Silversea that cruise AK and are 5* lines but I did not know of any 6* lines there.

It depends on what site you are looking at as to whether their top rating is 5 or 6 stars. Silversea, Regent, Seabourn and Crystal are all rated 5 or 6 stars depending on the site. Even with these lines, some of their ships are rated a hair below. We haven't yet tried them all...but we intend to.

What about the chance of seeing wildlife if you go either in May or September? That's why most people go to Alaska. I'm looking at a trip late August and wonder if it's too late.

We are in Alaska now. Took a Kenai Fjords tour on Aug 15 and saw humpback whales, otters, lots of seals & sealions. Lots of birds too - including puffins, cormorants, auklets.

Took the Denali shuttle to the visitor center. Saw Caribou, grizzlies, moose, marmot, etc. Everything one could hope to see except wolves and wolverines which are rarer sights anytime. Someone said they saw a wolf the day before.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app