Anyway to visit Glacier Bay from a land visit?

tinybiny

I've been searching online and haven't found anything reasonable. I want to know if it is possible to visit Glacier Bay without being on a cruise ship. Is there a nearby city that does day trips/day sailings?

Tried to fix the Any way in the title, but don't see how to do it.

Very easy to do and a few different options, altho it would require an overnight if you wanted to do the day cruise within the park. Otherwise you don't see anything but the airport.

I did a long weekend in GB by flying Alaska Airlines from Seattle to Gustavus (10 miles from the Park). The jet stopped briefly in Juneau. We stayed 2 nites at the GB Lodge; they provided transportation to/from the airport. We did the GB day cruise which was phenomenal, stayed another nite at the Lodge, then flew to Juneau for a visit and overnight then home to Seattle.

Or if you fly into Juneau, the Alaska Marine Hwy runs a ferry to Gustavus 2 or 3 times a week.

Small aircraft and charter boats are also available for the transfer.

Besides GB Lodge there are B&B's, inn, etc in Gustavus. Most will provide airport transfer. As always the town web site is a great resource.

http://www.gustavus.com/

BTW, it was a great trip ! The first afternoon when we arrived we walked the grounds and then along Bartlett Cove. We kept hearing this strange whooshing noise as we walked .... turned around and there was a whale following along in the Bay. On the day cruise we saw all the usual sealife plus deer and bear on the coast. We dropped off a few kayakers which was a fun thing to watch. And being on a smallish boat we were able to turn off the engine and listen to the glaciers for quite some time as they creak and groan and finally break away.

Hope this helps.

I've been searching online and haven't found anything reasonable. I want to know if it is possible to visit Glacier Bay without being on a cruise ship. Is there a nearby city that does day trips/day sailings?

Tried to fix the Any way in the title, but don't see how to do it.

Try typing "glacier bay land access" into Google.

DON

Thanks, that gives me a lot to think about.

Mapleleaves, that sounds like a fantastic experience. I am considering doing that type of thing. Maybe a couple nights in Juneau and then Gustavus. We have a cruise booked now, but I just got a new job and might not be able to take enough days off for the cruise. Since I've already been to the main ports a couple times, I don't really care if I never go to any of them again, but haven't been to Glacier Bay.

While looking online, I've noticed some people say that Prince William Sound is better for glacier viewing than, Glacier Bay. So, I will look at that option, too. I think I'd be staying in Anchorage if I went that route. Glaciers are awesome, but I like wildlife even more. So, I'll probably lean towards the area that has the best chance for wildlife viewing for a shorter vacation.

If you want glacier viewing look into driving 2.5 hr northeast of ANC and walking and tour of Matanuska. In depth with crampon and guide if desired. Great viewing and up close and personal. Not cheap but I am guessing way less than G/B but with more people in less time.

sightcrr

Check out the Tour Saver coupon book (google tour saver Alaska). There's also another one - I think its name is Northern Lights or something like that. We used a TourSaver coupon a few years ago that was good for the plane ride between Juneau and Gustavus, our hotel at Glacier NP, and the boat ride. We saved hundreds of dollars, so I hope the book still has the Glacier Bay coupon. We loved having the extra time on land in the park - beautiful hiking and other activities. We spent three days in Glacier Bay NP as part of a "land" trip throughout Alaska. Best trip ever!