Carnival Fascination-Jeans

cruisekitty22

Can my husband get away with wearing black jeans that are not faded or ripped for formal night? He hates to dress up! He will wear a black/dark polo shirt with the jeans. Is that acceptable? Or will the maitre'd turn us away?

The maitre'd doesn't turn away that many people. After all, you are on vacation. They also don't want to get people mad. So many people pass through the front all at once, they don't check everyone.

Can my husband get away with wearing black jeans that are not faded or ripped for formal night? He hates to dress up! He will wear a black/dark polo shirt with the jeans. Is that acceptable? Or will the maitre'd turn us away?
Impossible to say. Depends on the maître'd. He'll just have to try it. I'm guessing he has at least a 60% chance of getting by with breaking this particular rule.

Elegant isn't as formal as Formal Night used to be. Get your husband an inexpensive pair of khakis. He can wear them and a black/dark polo shirt, which follows the dress code.

One leg at a time, this is not difficult. how hard would it be to slip on a pair of Khakis? Is this too much effort for your husband, respect the rules. I would not call Khakis dressed up.

It is not complaint with the dress code which states dress shirt and slacks. The jeans are clearly prohibited and it should also be noted that dress shirt is distinguished from a polo shirt (which is listed in the cruise casual). The policy is below and whether or not it will be enforced will be a chance he chooses to take if he will not dress within code:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

This site gets these questions all the time. And I for one don't understand why a grown man cannot wear a pair of kakhis and a button down dress shirt like a grown up. My sons were dressing this way by the time they were 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To answer the question, I doubt any one will say anything as long as they are in good condition and he wears a decent shirt with it. Flip flops are technically not permitted and I would say at least half of the women wear those to dinner. It's really not as big of a deal as people make it seem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Elegant isn't as formal as Formal Night used to be. Get your husband an inexpensive pair of khakis. He can wear them and a black/dark polo shirt, which follows the dress code.

Not everyone wants to buy new clothes for a 1-2 hour dinner...

As others have said buy a pair of Khakis. You can get cheap ones at walmart. No need to spend all sorts of money on a new wardrobe.

If wearing pants other then jeans is that big of deal (which I don't understand at all) then just eat at the buffet that night.

If my teenager who lives in jeans and hoodies will wear slacks and a button down shirt without complaining, then I'm sure your husband can handle khakis and a polo shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

He won't be turned away!

Enjoy your cruise ! :D

I would love to know who on here has every seen a guy turned away from the MDR who was wearing nice black jeans???

My husband used to wear them for every cruise! He now has a pair of lightweight blue slacks(almost like jeans but lighter material) that he wears.

He would NOT wear khakis as some have suggested! Not all men are sheep and will just wear whatever their wives buy them!

Tell him to wear black leather sneakers with them to make the outfit look better!

This is your vacation! Enjoy it!

We've been on 11 cruises now and not once has either my husband or myself been turned away for wearing "church jeans". Church jeans are either very dark blue wash or black, not faded, ripped or torn, usually starched and pressed to the point they could almost stand up by themselves and have a bit of a sheen from the starch. About half the time, Hubs also wears a collared polo shirt, NOT A DRESS SHIRT AND TIE. He's just not a dress up person and neither am I. I usually wear a pair of church jeans, my nicest shoes and a nice blouse. I used to worry about having to wear a dress or skirt on formal night but I got over it :D

We've been on 11 cruises now and not once has either my husband or myself been turned away for wearing "church jeans". Church jeans are either very dark blue wash or black, not faded, ripped or torn, usually starched and pressed to the point they could almost stand up by themselves and have a bit of a sheen from the starch. About half the time, Hubs also wears a collared polo shirt, NOT A DRESS SHIRT AND TIE. He's just not a dress up person and neither am I. I usually wear a pair of church jeans, my nicest shoes and a nice blouse. I used to worry about having to wear a dress or skirt on formal night but I got over it :D
I'm curious. What is the advantage to wearing starched and stiff jeans over a more comfortable pair of khakis or slacks? :confused:

Are you saying the OP does not own any pants other than jeans. Why would you have to buy new pants, I'm sure he owns a pair of slacks

I'm curious. What is the advantage to wearing starched and stiff jeans over a more comfortable pair of khakis or slacks? :confused:

Because that is how you do church jeans. :) MIne are usually starched/pressed even if Hubs' aren't. It's a Southern thing; you probably wouldn't understand. Bless your heart. :)

Because that is how you do church jeans. :) MIne are usually starched/pressed even if Hubs' aren't. It's a Southern thing; you probably wouldn't understand. Bless your heart. :)
Check my location. Southern English is my first language. I know full well that "bless your heart" isn't the expression of kindness it appears to be. :) I wasn't trying to be a you-know-what. I just can't grasp why someone would prefer wearing stiff, uncomfortable jeans to something like khakis. Khakis and some slacks are not only more comfortable than the type of jeans you are referring to, but are also within the dress code. That seems like a win/win.:confused: BTW, I LOVE jeans! But not the heavy, stiff, and uncomfortable kind you seem to be referring to. Edited by Towel Critter

Most men I know ... in fact all of them I know .... keep at least one pair of khakis in tan or black for funerals, weddings or graduations. :confused:

I've never met an adult male in my entire life who did not own at least one pair of trousers. LOL

OP: should he, probably not if you wish to comply with Carnival's recomnendations. Can he get by? M aybe maybe not, who knows? Take the chance of you so wish. Safe journeys

Just off the ship. They are very lenient in dress code. Black jeans will likely be fine. But I will say it is a very well dressed crowd on this ship. I had decent shorts and polos on casual night and always felt underdressed. But there were a few breaking rules that got in no problem. We skipped elegant night but black jeans aren't noticeable like blue.

Check my location. Southern English is my first language. I know full well that "bless your heart" isn't the expression of kindness it appears to be. :) I wasn't trying to be a you-know-what. I just can't grasp why someone would prefer wearing stiff, uncomfortable jeans to something like khakis. Khakis and some slacks are not only more comfortable than the type of jeans you are referring to, but are also within the dress code. That seems like a win/win.:confused: BTW, I LOVE jeans! But not the heavy, stiff, and uncomfortable kind you seem to be referring to.

Do you always have to have the last word? Bless your heart...

Sent from my iPad using Forums