What time can we get of ship at Rome (Civitavecchia) port?

Faw1001

Hi

Has anyone been on the Western Med cruise recently that can tell me what time we will be able to get off the ship in Rome (Civitavecchia)? I am trying to arrange tours and transport from the port to Rome center but cannot until I know what time we can actually be off the ship by.

Any tips on the quickest way to get into Rome would also be greatly appreciated.

Note, we are not ending our cruise there like some others will be, so no bags/security etc. Its just a port of call for us.

TIA

Fiona

All the tour companies know the ship's schedule. You could be off around 6:30,,,, but all of the ship's tours start to leave early and the gangway and port will be busy.

All aboard is 6:30 pm. The port is a long way from the city with lots of traffic. If you are late, you will be walking to Florence.

As others have said, you can just let the tour company know what ship you're on. If you're going with someone recommended here or on the Ports of Call board or Trip Advisor, they will know what time will work. I always book independent tours and I let the vendor tell me what time we'll meet rather than my telling them. They have a lot of experience as they do this every week when the ship is in port.

Have a great cruise! I'm on the Epic in Sept, but Civitavecchia is where I board. :D

Hi

Has anyone been on the Western Med cruise recently that can tell me what time we will be able to get off the ship in Rome (Civitavecchia)? I am trying to arrange tours and transport from the port to Rome center but cannot until I know what time we can actually be off the ship by.

Any tips on the quickest way to get into Rome would also be greatly appreciated.

Note, we are not ending our cruise there like some others will be, so no bags/security etc. Its just a port of call for us.

TIA

Fiona

Our ship (Celebrity Reflection) arrived at Rome at 5:00 am. I think disembarkation started around 6:00 am. We left the ship at 6:45 pm and were at the exit at 7:00 am and got on the prearranged taxi to FCO to catch our flight at 11:00 am.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For traveling in Rome, the most important thing is to get a good hotel located in a good location. We stayed in Rome for 5 nights at Le Meridian Visconti Rome hotel. Almost all the attractions are within walking distance. We walked to Vatican MUseum area, Spanish Steps area. The only place we didn't walk to was Colessum (we bought 24-hour Roma pass and had direct access to Colessum and free bus/train ride). We took bus 87/81 to Colessum to save our energy. Then we walked through the Palestine Hill and Roman Forum, Piazza Venezia, and then took the bus to Scared Stairs, and then went back to hotel to rest. Then went to the nearby restaurant to eat. There are so many good restaurants around the hotel. We had so much fun.

PS. I really hate Termini Central station. When we walked past, there were so many "eyes" looking at your purses and they are looking for opportunities. We didn't feel safe there. But once we went back to our hotel area, we felt so good.

For traveling in Rome, the most important thing is to get a good hotel located in a good location. We stayed in Rome for 5 nights at Le Meridian Visconti Rome hotel. Almost all the attractions are within walking distance. We walked to Vatican MUseum area, Spanish Steps area. The only place we didn't walk to was Colessum (we bought 24-hour Roma pass and had direct access to Colessum and free bus/train ride). We took bus 87/81 to Colessum to save our energy. Then we walked through the Palestine Hill and Roman Forum, Piazza Venezia, and then took the bus to Scared Stairs, and then went back to hotel to rest. Then went to the nearby restaurant to eat. There are so many good restaurants around the hotel. We had so much fun.

PS. I really hate Termini Central station. When we walked past, there were so many "eyes" looking at your purses and they are looking for opportunities. We didn't feel safe there. But once we went back to our hotel area, we felt so good.

OP is visiting Rome as a port of call and not staying in a hotel there. He or she is asking about an excursion time for getting into the city.

we were off the ship by 8 am when we docked. we used Michelangelo tours. she was waiting for us when we got off the ship.. had a Mercedes van that held about 10 people. she let us arrange a flexible itinerary plus she added a nice surprise stop. it was worth every dime to get a tour, esp. when the trains can break down and they also have many strikes in Italy! plus people drive like maniacs.

We were off the ship just after 7 and collected by taxi for the airport at 715. Took our own luggage but if you prefer not to it really wasn't busy and we walked past all the luggage sitting for collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are hoping to catch a fast train but need to be in Rome by 9.15am at the latest to meet the tour. Has anyone done this before?

If you go to the Italy port of call board (go to the the home page of the Boards and scroll down to Ports of Call) you'll probably have a better chance of getting a response from folks who've done it. Since Rome is both a port of call and an embarkation port for the Epic, people seem to think you're disembarking rather than touring. On the Ports of Call, you'll find lots of comments about getting into Rome. :)