Missed the ship...$300 per person to get on at the first port. WHY?

Rich_NY

We just cruised on the Victory. We met someone on the ship whose neice and nephew had their birth certificates in their checked luggage. When they found the luggage the ship had left. They got charged $300 per person to get on in Key West. To me that seems ridiculous.....they already paid, incurred stress, and extra costs. This doesn't seem right to me.

It's not Carnival - it's the Passenger Services Act - something about foreign flagged vessels not being allowed to transport passengers from one US port to another US port without a stop in a distant foreign port without incurring a large (there's the $300) fine. If the Cozumel stop had been first there wouldn't have been a fine. It's just because the 1st port was Key West.

It has nothing to do with Birth Certificates in their luggage.

The $300 per person fine was being passed along to the passengers for putting the cruise line in violation of the PSVA.

The PSVA prohibits foreign flagged vessels such as the Victory from transporting people from 1 United States port to a different United States port with out stopping at a " Distant Foreign Port." Here in the US on the East Coast the closest Distant Foreign Ports are typically the ABC Islands of Aruba/Bonaire/Curacao or Cartegena Colombia.

A round trip "closed loop" cruise is exempt from this. The ship only has to visit a foreign port. So typical 3/4 day trip on the Victory like Miami>Bahamas>Miami or Miami>Key West>Cozumel Mexico>Miami is fine.

But by getting on the ship in Key West and getting off the ship at the end of the cruise in Miami, the passengers were transported from 1 US city to a different US city without the distant foreign port visit.

So just like Government Fees, Port Expenses and Taxes that are passed along when paying the cruise fare, the PSVA fine is passed along, too.

It has nothing to do with Birth Certificates in their luggage.

The $300 per person fine was being passed along to the passengers for putting the cruise line in violation of the PSVA.

The PSVA prohibits foreign flagged vessels such as the Victory from transporting people from 1 United States port to a different United States port with out stopping at a " Distant Foreign Port." Here in the US on the East Coast the closest Distant Foreign Ports are typically the ABC Islands of Aruba/Bonaire/Curacao or Cartegena Colombia.

A round trip "closed loop" cruise is exempt from this. The ship only has to visit a foreign port. So typical 3/4 day trip on the Victory like Miami>Bahamas>Miami or Miami>Key West>Cozumel Mexico>Miami is fine.

But by getting on the ship in Key West and getting off the ship at the end of the cruise in Miami, the passengers were transported from 1 US city to a different US city without the distant foreign port visit.

So just like Government Fees, Port Expenses and Taxes that are passed along when paying the cruise fare, the PSVA fine is passed along, too.

Based on what you wrote, they were getting on in Key West, went to Mexico (Cozumel), then Miami....why is that no good?

We just cruised on the Victory. We met someone on the ship whose neice and nephew had their birth certificates in their checked luggage. When they found the luggage the ship had left. They got charged $300 per person to get on in Key West. To me that seems ridiculous.....they already paid, incurred stress, and extra costs. This doesn't seem right to me.

They contravened the PVSA law. Under this law foreign flagged carriers can't carry passengers between two US ports without visiting a foreign port. If they where on a closed their boarding was illegal. the $300 is what the goverment fines the cruiseline and they just charge the passengers involved.

Sorry, but I'm not following. did they fly to the port? Did they bring the bags to the ship? Wouldn't the luggage been on the carousel at the airport, or if they drove in the trunk of the car. What do you mean "when they found the luggage"

Sorry, but I'm not following. did they fly to the port? Did they bring the bags to the ship? Wouldn't the luggage been on the carousel at the airport, or if they drove in the trunk of the car. What do you mean "when they found the luggage"

I'm guessing that the luggage was handed over to a porter at the ship. When they went to check in, they did not have the necessary ID. When their luggage was found, the ship had departed with the luggage. They were very lucky that they did not have to fly to Cozumel as they would have needed a passport. Getting to Key West, they needed nothing if they drove.

The bags were checked onto the ship. The Aunt who we met searched for the bags on the ship already which had her neice and nephews passports in the luggage. A few family members were cruising. The Sister was on the ship with her husband....the other sister and her kids had to get on in Key West.

but, the luggage was ON the ship, did they get to the ship 1/2 hour before departure? Sorry but this makes no sense. Get an officer or security person, and retrieve the luggage. Most people arrive several hours early. This is why we never leave U.S. soil without a passport which is either in my computer bag or my wife's purse.

Based on what you wrote, they were getting on in Key West, went to Mexico (Cozumel), then Miami....why is that no good?

In that case, it would have had to be a distant foreign port - like in another hemisphere. Cozumel would not count. Aruba would.

Or they could have flown to, and boarded in Mexico and there would not have been a fine.

They contravened the PVSA law. Under this law foreign flagged carriers can't carry passengers between two US ports without visiting a foreign port. If they where on a closed their boarding was illegal. the $300 is what the goverment fines the cruiseline and they just charge the passengers involved.

It looks like this intierary goes Miami > KW > Cozumel > Miami. So even if they got on in KW, they still visited a foreign port (Mexico) before going back to Miami. So I don't think the PVSA applies.

(I know people are enjoying feeling superior over people making mistakes with their ID, but I don't think the $300 fee has actually been explained yet.)

Edit: so going from Miami to Cozumel counts, but going from Key West (in the same state) doesn't count? That sounds like some arbitrary law-making.

It looks like this intierary goes Miami > KW > Cozumel > Miami. So even if they got on in KW, they still visited a foreign port (Mexico) before going back to Miami. So I don't think the PVSA applies.

(I know people are enjoying feeling superior over people making mistakes with their ID, but I don't think the $300 fee has actually been explained yet.)

Edit: so going from Miami to Cozumel counts, but going from Key West (in the same state) doesn't count? That sounds like some arbitrary law-making.

Because the ship left from and returned to Miami. The three other passengers did not, so their cruise was not a closed loop and went under different laws.

Because the ship left from and returned to Miami. The three other passengers did not, so their cruise was not a closed loop and went under different laws.

Ah ok, got it now. The emphasis on "foreign port" got me. Thanks.

So the problem isn't a lack of foreign port, but rather that they didn't return to the same US port they departed.

"I know people are enjoying feeling superior over people making mistakes with their ID"

It's not superior it's being responsible. I still contend the scenario makes no sense.

They were no longer on a closed loop cruise. By not having proper ID to board, they were forced to leave from a different port, not Miami where they returned to. Different laws.

Have you been on Carnival Yet???

mpdog42

I would of taken that $900 and rented a car, driven the keys and have fun with family for the day, then spent the balance on a fun keys and Miami trip. Problem solved! Plus being the off season car rentals and hotels are cheap. I'd rather drive down 7 mile bridge, etc then take a boat. Plus you don't have to leave before sunset!