Wine by the glass and UBP

POA1

If I'm looking at the wine list and it's got 3 symbols on it, as in this handy example, I know that the third one is the bottle price. The first and second are, I assume glass prices.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the two glasses? Size obviously, but how many ounces does each represent? (Feel free to quote milliliters if that works for you.)

Second question - Can you have either size on the UBP as long as it's less than $15?

Thanks!

32d38d8c3b27c57bd42cd8ad6667c134.jpg

If I'm looking at the wine list and it's got 3 symbols on it, as in this handy example, I know that the third one is the bottle price. The first and second are, I assume glass prices.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the two glasses? Size obviously, but how many ounces does each represent? (Feel free to quote milliliters if that works for you.)

Second question - Can you have either size on the UBP as long as it's less than $15?

Thanks!

The first symbol is glass. The next one is glass & a half and the last one as you already known is the bottle pricing.

I do not see why you couldn't get either sizes if it still under $15.00

Under desserts wine it said 375 ml on their menus.

I would assume a glass of wine - it is usually between 5-6oz.And since you have this drinking package, if one glass of wine is not enough.

You can order another glass of wine. :)

Here's a site for more info:

https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/23734/what-is-the-standard-amount-if-there-is-one-for-a-glass-of-wine

The glasses pictured could very well be the serving out of a 750 ml (fifth) bottle.

The small glass would represent 6 servings of 4 ounces -

The larger glass would represent 4 servings of 6 ounces -

Thus the 750 ml bottle serves 24 ounces albeit not generous.

What servings that are provided under the terms of the UBP could be metered

out of dispenser - aghast no cork pulling sniffing and the taste test before further consumption !

No telling how long the wine was dispensed and served at your table.

Always something to be said for the wine steward pulling the cork and the

proper demonstration before serving.

The first symbol is glass. The next one is glass & a half and the last one as you already known is the bottle pricing.

I do not see why you couldn't get either sizes if it still under $15.00

Under desserts wine it said 375 ml on their menus.

I would assume a glass of wine - it is usually between 5-6oz.And since you have this drinking package, if one glass of wine is not enough.

You can order another glass of wine. :)

Here's a site for more info:

https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/23734/what-is-the-standard-amount-if-there-is-one-for-a-glass-of-wine

If under dessert wine it said 375 mls- would they seriously be talking about 1/2 bottle of wine? A bottle of wine is 750 mils.

Dessert wines are frequently bottled in 1/2 (375ml) bottles; I. Fact sometimes only so. As far as I recall, only one available by the glass on NCL with an up charge. Try a gewurtztraminer, or proseco with cassis as sweetish "dessert options". There's also an obscenely expensive ice wine, at like $70 a1/2 bottle. MAYBE for a fine sauterne but for Canadian eiswein?

If under dessert wine it said 375 mls- would they seriously be talking about 1/2 bottle of wine? A bottle of wine is 750 mils.

Yes. That's a fairly standard size for dessert wines like Sauternes, ice wines and the like. The serving size for dessert wine is smaller as well. It's typically only 3 oz, although you'll see 2 oz pours at some restaurants.

Last time on Gem with the drink package, they told me I could only order the regular size glass, but of course could refill as often as I liked. Seemed a little silly to me, but I wasn't going to argue with them. Of course this could change from ship to ship or even bar to bar!

Thanks!

When I'm in a restaurant, I tell them I'm going to want two glasses with dinner and I ask if they could bring both at once. They always do because they're fairly busy and it's less work for them. I presume that would work the same at a bar.

I think they were 6oz and 9oz pours. They were generous, and as others have said, they keep them coming if you have UBP. They other fun thing you can do is create your own "pairing' and have a different wine with each course.....

I think they were 6oz and 9oz pours. They were generous, and as others have said, they keep them coming if you have UBP. They other fun thing you can do is create your own "pairing' and have a different wine with each course.....

Thanks for this! I wasn't going to ask this question, because I'm not sure there would be enough people doing pairings... but since you brought it up. Our normal approach to dinner in a nice restaurant is to order the aperitif, starter course wine, and main course wine at the beginning. That way, our wine is there when each course food arrives. Does that work on NCL?

POA1-

Especially if you can to eat in the same restaurant, you can even go beyond this. We have sometimes ordered smaller portions of 2 to 3 different wines to try out with a single course (Does the salmon go better with the light red, a rose, or Chardonnay?). Partner and I are always happy to share glasses and we've never had a problem with them pouring a number of three or 4 ounce servings of multiple wines at once.

One of her favorite stories was taking my nephew who had recently turn 21 and was interested in learning more about wines on a cruise. The very first night, literally, as we were talking to him about the difference between dry and sweet, and explaining the role of tannins, the cruise beverage director came over to introduce himself. When we explained the serendipity, he sat down, spend 15 minutes with us talking to my nephew about wines and for the rest of the cruise regularly stop by with suggestions and insisting that we case three or four different ones with different entrées or appetizers. (My nephew subsequently took a job working for a wine distributor!)

:-)

POA1-

Especially if you can to eat in the same restaurant, you can even go beyond this. We have sometimes ordered smaller portions of 2 to 3 different wines to try out with a single course (Does the salmon go better with the light red, a rose, or Chardonnay?). Partner and I are always happy to share glasses and we've never had a problem with them pouring a number of three or 4 ounce servings of multiple wines at once.

One of her favorite stories was taking my nephew who had recently turn 21 and was interested in learning more about wines on a cruise. The very first night, literally, as we were talking to him about the difference between dry and sweet, and explaining the role of tannins, the cruise beverage director came over to introduce himself. When we explained the serendipity, he sat down, spend 15 minutes with us talking to my nephew about wines and for the rest of the cruise regularly stop by with suggestions and insisting that we case three or four different ones with different entrées or appetizers. (My nephew subsequently took a job working for a wine distributor!)

:-)

Thank you, Steve. Exactly what I was looking for.

POA1-

Interesting website...

What sort of scientist? (taught at Harvard Med for over a decade b4 moving to Chair position in NY...now more admin than research!)

Alas, the choice of wines by the glass isn't very extensive... ok for a week but didn't expect Petrus, or even Ravenswood.

Thanks!

If I remember correctly the small ones are 6oz pours, and the larger ones are 9 oz pours.

I have a question. Let's say my wife and I are dining at Le Bistro on the Epic and we order a glass of wine using our UBP. Do we need to order it through the sommelier? Or can the waiter take our order? 20 minutes later, we are ready for another glass. Do we then have to patiently have to wait for the sommelier to come by? or, if the waiter can take our order, will it be another 10-20 minutes before we see our second glass of wine? We like wine with dinner but don't want to have to order bottles since we have this great beverage plan. Thanks for your help!

The waiter can bring you wine. Sometimes we would stop at a bar and get a glass to carry in with us (or a cocktail) to sip while we ordered. The waiter will bring them as quickly as you like, and yes, you can order different ones to come with different courses. I've never experienced an issue with the wait time on more wine- usually they were really quick with the refills in both the specialty restaurants and the main dining room. In the MDR though, there was usually a "house red" and "house white" that seemed to vary, that were REALLY available- like the busboys were coming around with it like water- and then the ones you had to order. That was my experience on two cruises last year- on the Gem with UBP and on the Sky with the open bar.

I just wasn't sure if that first, little icon represented a half glass or a regular one.

The first icon is a regular glass of wine. The second icon is a "glass and a half" which is also included in UBP.

The waiter can bring you wine. Sometimes we would stop at a bar and get a glass to carry in with us (or a cocktail) to sip while we ordered. The waiter will bring them as quickly as you like, and yes, you can order different ones to come with different courses. I've never experienced an issue with the wait time on more wine- usually they were really quick with the refills in both the specialty restaurants and the main dining room. In the MDR though, there was usually a "house red" and "house white" that seemed to vary, that were REALLY available- like the busboys were coming around with it like water- and then the ones you had to order. That was my experience on two cruises last year- on the Gem with UBP and on the Sky with the open bar.

Perfect, thanks so much for your reply... Dave