7 Things to Know About the Cheapest Luxury Cruise Cabins

LauraS

• 2 weeks later...
Check out this brand-new Luxury cruising article from Cruise Critic:

7 Things to Know About the Cheapest Luxury Cruise Cabins

I agree 100% with your article. The only problem I have you keep saying Crystal, Regent and Silversea in the same category. This is not true. Yes Crystal is a luxury cruise line (5 1/2 stars) Regent and Silversea are ultra luxury cruise lines (6 star). There is two main differences, 1st passengers and 2nd cabin size. 6 star cruise lines are under 900 passengers and cabin size start at 290 sq ft. There must be standards in the cruise industry.

I agree 100% with your article. The only problem I have you keep saying Crystal, Regent and Silversea in the same category. This is not true. Yes Crystal is a luxury cruise line (5 1/2 stars) Regent and Silversea are ultra luxury cruise lines (6 star). There is two main differences, 1st passengers and 2nd cabin size. 6 star cruise lines are under 900 passengers and cabin size start at 290 sq ft. There must be standards in the cruise industry.

I have no idea where you get your information but most if not all Crystal cruisers would not agree.

Luxury cruise lines Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea are recognized as such by most luxury cruisers in North America. This is one area that most of us agree on. It is when Azamara, Oceania, Viking Ocean and Wind Star are mentioned that we shake or heads in disbelief.

All in all it is an excellent article.

The only problem I have you keep saying Crystal, Regent and Silversea in the same category. This is not true. Yes Crystal is a luxury cruise line (5 1/2 stars) Regent and Silversea are ultra luxury cruise lines (6 star)...... There must be standards in the cruise industry.

There are - and they're at odd with your self declared scale

Check out the Berlitz Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships - I think its considered a pretty definitive work on the state of play and ratings of the various lines and ships

Our lowest category suite/cabin on Europa 2 certainly was the nicest we ever had on any ship. We always book a balcony cabin when available (have been on expedition/freighter ships without them). For a bathroom with rain head + hand held shower + Jacuzzi tub + 2 sinks + separate toilet room with sink, I have to go to a very high category on other ships.

There are - and they're at odd with your self declared scale

Check out the Berlitz Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships - I think its considered a pretty definitive work on the state of play and ratings of the various lines and ships

Prepare for paul1439's customary anti- Berlitz response.

And the one you like to quote, which despite its title, is run by a travel agency who promote their services on it is independent and objective?

It seems the Berlitz guide sells pretty well - so they've got quite a few fooled. As others have said the only real measure that counts is ones own judgement - but just out of interest how many of the lines have you actually cruised on?

Sorry but most people disagree with your criteria. IMO to be ultra luxury you can have no more than 300 passengers. Cabin size is irrelevant, but if you want to include it it should start at about 220 sq ft.

Sorry but most people disagree with your criteria. IMO to be ultra luxury you can have no more than 300 passengers. Cabin size is irrelevant, but if you want to include it it should start at about 220 sq ft.

This may be one of the most unique posts that I have seen on the luxury cruise board. Obviously, none of the "recognized" luxury cruise lines have less than 300 passengers (Seabourn did but sold them). And 220 sq. ft. is tiny -- not luxury at all. Luxury cruise lines have 100% (or 90%) balconies and are much larger than 220 sq. ft.

No, 'ultra-luxury' is having your G650 fly you directly to Nice where your chauffeur picks you up in your Rolls and drives you to your slip in Monte Carlo to board your new Lürssen mega yacht. THAT, my friends, is ultra-luxury...

No, 'ultra-luxury' is having your G650 fly you directly to Nice where your chauffeur picks you up in your Rolls and drives you to your slip in Monte Carlo to board your new Lürssen mega yacht. THAT, my friends, is ultra-luxury...

The last time I was in Monte Carlo there was a yacht with an on board helicopter.

Supra ultra-luxury?

Edited by English Voyager

Silversea Cloud and Wind are less than 300 passengers.They are wonderful ships.

Yes - they are considered luxury but are not really in competition with the "Big Four". Also, based on the above criteria, all of the stated luxury cruise lines would fail the Ultra Luxury test!

What in the world are The Big Four and who says so? We consider Silversea to be in the luxury category and most definitely enjoyed our Wind and Cloud cruises. Great little ships with wonderful food and crew. I like that there is no glitz and glamour. I hope that type of stuff is not the luxury criteria. The Big Four. Oh my.

What in the world are The Big Four and who says so? We consider Silversea to be in the luxury category and most definitely enjoyed our Wind and Cloud cruises. Great little ships with wonderful food and crew. I like that there is no glitz and glamour. I hope that type of stuff is not the luxury criteria. The Big Four. Oh my.

Everything I've read here leads me to assume that "The Big Four" are considered to be Crystal, Regent, Seabourn, and Silversea. Maybe Wind and Cloud were mentioned separately due to their size? Not really sure what direction this thread is going.

Why are the Silver Wind and Clous not consider in competition with the big four? i"ll take them over the Navigator any day.

wripro - sorry - my error. The "Big Four" are the cruise lines that are most discussed by people in North America (Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea). There is also Windstar and one one other whose name escapes me. IMO, the competition is between the four cruise lines that I listed.

In terms of the Silver Wind or Cloud (one of them has become an expedition ship - don't recall which one), during our tour of the ship, we found it way below expectations (we don't like the Navigator but would sail on it any day over the Silversea small ships. I suggest that people read reviews of whichever ship is not the expedition ship as they are not flattering. They have had major air conditioning problems while sailing in a very hot part of the world...... many things needed fixing and, IMO, Silversea is a great cruise line but tends to be lax in terms of keeping up their ships.

BTW, while we have no plans to sail on the Navigator but after her latest refurbishment, she looks gorgeous!

NOTE: I need to emphasize that the reason I am using the term "big four" is to differentiate luxury cruise ships from luxury yachts, portions of a mainstream cruise line that is set up as luxury, luxury river cruises lines and cruise lines that do not target U.S. and Canadian passengers - such as Europa I.

Edited by Travelcat2

TC2,

Again, we differ. The Cloud is being refitted as an expedition ship and will be totally renovated. The Wind has recently undergone a renovation as well and both ships are in great condition considering their age. The Navigator was not much of a ship even when it was new. It was all about the cabins with the public spaces completely lacking imo. Not to mention the vibration. But then it began life as a Russian trawler,

And as always you seem to equate Windstar with Sea Dream. Sea Dream has always been considered a luxury product though cherry different because of its 100 passenger capacity. Windstar is a terrific line but still always considered one rung below.