Help me decide - Seward or Coopers Landing

curry767

Hey Guys,

When I originally wanted to book the Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge last year it wasn't available because they reserve all the rooms for potential Princess Land Tours. So I booked the Holiday Inn Express in Seward which I managed to get a fully refundable booking. I now notice that the Princess Lodge has become available for my dates (mid August). So I am now in a quandary as to what to do.

I have stayed at the Lodge before and I quite liked it last time (2001).

My thoughts are:

Lodge

+ Lodge style setting

+ Better accommodation

+ Shorter drive to Denali

+ $120 cheaper over 3 nights

- Only one eating option if I want to have a drink with dinner

- Have to drive to our Resurrection Bay Cruise

Holiday Inn

+ Room with a view of the bay

+ Plenty of eating options with the ability to have a drink with dinner

+ Can walk to our Resurrection Bay Cruise

- Room not as big

- Longer Drive to Denali

- More Expensive

I am really torn as to which way to go on this one, so I thought I would throw it open to the floor - any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cooper Landing is only an hour closer to Denali than Seward.

3 nights in Cooper Landing? Are you taking only one trip into Seward for a wildlife cruise? I don't recommend the bay cruise as it doesn't get out of the bay to see more potential wildlife or glaciers. Much better scenery to do a 6 or 9 hour trip. No other plans for Seward ?? because it wouldn't take a whole lot of gas to make up for the lodging savings.

If you've stayed at Princess Lodge before than you know what it's like and what to expect. Only you can decide what's best for you.

I'd personally go for the Holiday Inn or just one night in Cooper Landing before heading north.

(You could buy a bottle for after dinner and it would probably be cheaper than a drink with dinner.)

GlacierLady,

Thanks for the answer, I should have explained a bit more.

We have two full days available whilst in the Kenai area, one which will be spent on the 9 hour cruise out of Seward. The other day will be spent on Exit Glacier, Whitter, Homer, Rafting or some sort of combination of these.

To be honest, the drive time savings don't really bother me as a result of coming from Australia.

Homer is not a day trip. 180 miles from Seward, 130 miles from Cooper Landing. You'd spend the whole day driving with no time to do anything else.

Whittier should be done either going to or coming from the pennisula.

Rafting is good for Cooper Landing along with fishing and/or horseback riding. Hope is another good place for rafting, 1/2 way between Seward & Anc.

Exit Glacier would be good after your wildlife cruise, if your up to it! That would make better use of your time while in Seward or you'd be back tracking the next day if staying in Cooper Landing.

If I was to choose to do the driver to Homer I would be expecting to do it as a whole day anyway. Its only 240 miles return to Cooper's Landing which would mean only 6 hours in the car and with the extended daylight there would be plenty of time to stop at things on the way. However I do understand that I wouldn’t be able to any of the other things I motioned if we choose to do the drive to Homer.

ARRTrain, thanks for the links - I'll have a look at those.

Rafting at Hope was the one I was looking at.

Sounds like I am talking myself into the lodge, doesn't it!

If I was to choose to do the driver to Homer I would be expecting to do it as a whole day anyway. Its only 240 miles return to Cooper's Landing which would mean only 6 hours in the car and with the extended daylight there would be plenty of time to stop at things on the way. However I do understand that I wouldn’t be able to any of the other things I motioned if we choose to do the drive to Homer.

Yes, but those 240 miles are among the most tedious driving in Alaska. It is two lane road almost all the way and the Kenai is very popular with the motorhome crowd. This means you get two or three of them in a line, all going 30 mph and no way to pass. On weekends, it's worse, because half of Anchorage heads to Kenai to fish. Homer is more of a destination than somewhere to drive to, turn around, and head back. If you can't spend at least a night there, I wouldn't bother going.

Maybe you can split up the days. Since you are arriving in Seward (right?) why not spend 2 nights at the Holiday Inn. We absolutely loved Seward! We spent a few hours on the docks watching the fishing boats come in with their giant halibut!! We did a long Kenai Fjords boat trip, explored the Sea Life Center (would be a great place to visit if the weather is not cooperating). Enjoyed Exit Glacier, too.

Then head up to Kenai Princess for a night. We spent one night there on our trip. I liked it, but I can't imagine spending 3 nights there. Took a side trip to Hope and really enjoyed it. Found a yummy cafe and looked around in their museum.

Would love to go to Homer some day, too. But would want to spend at least a night or two out there.

ARRTrain, thanks for the links - I'll have a look at those.

Rafting at Hope was the one I was looking at.

Sounds like I am talking myself into the lodge, doesn't it!

It's NOT just the drive, it's all the stuff you can do once you get to Homer and along the Cook Inlet. Frankly the drive isn't "it". You are underestimating this. Either, split your days for at least one overnight in Homer, my min. is always two. Or do your homework and determine what your priority is??? http://www.kenaipeninsula.com request this visitor guide, gives a better overlook of the areas, you want to just drive past.

Thanks for all the input guys, might go with split.

Re Homer, Homer was just an option on the table as I reckon we will want one day where we are not pre-programmed and can just decide on the day.

Thanks again.

I loved Homer, but everyone is right - don't go if you can't spend at least one night. The drive seems to take forever!

I also agree you're better off spending more time in Seward than Cooper Landing. I really enjoyed the Kenai Princess Lodge but we were rarely there because we fished, floated the river, and hiked.

Rafting at Hope? The village of Hope is tiny and doesn't get many visitors, but it does offer the view across Turnagain Arm to see what very few folks get to see. I love that view.

Driving to Homer can be very boring. Any road accident or construction and your time table is out the window. That is.... not possible.

Not to mention the RV crowd which creeps along!

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a good place to river fish for salmon in the Kenai-Cooper Landing, Seward area? My husband would like to fish in July when we are there but doesn't want to take a charter out.

Archived