SJU Agriculture inspec carry-on bag?

TravelerThom

Do bags that we will carry on the airplane have to go through Agriculture Inspection at San Juan [sJU] airport? My experiences in Hawaii was that Agriculture Inspection was only for checked bags, and carry-ons were looked at only when proceding thru Concourse security [presumably to make sure that you had not added anything in the interim]. We will have only carry-on bags and would love to skip this step:) [but would not love to be sent back to start over:mad:].

thanks

Thom

Do bags that we will carry on the airplane have to go through Agriculture Inspection at San Juan [sJU] airport? My experiences in Hawaii was that Agriculture Inspection was only for checked bags, and carry-ons were looked at only when proceding thru Concourse security [presumably to make sure that you had not added anything in the interim]. We will have only carry-on bags and would love to skip this step:) [but would not love to be sent back to start over:mad:].

thanks

Thom

I don't get my carry-ons inspected. There is a USDA rep at the security check point. If they find anything at that point that looks questionable plantwise, they call him over. I never had a problem with the USDA at this point asking about the no tag, nor had to go back to the front USDA point.

I don't get my carry-ons inspected. There is a USDA rep at the security check point. If they find anything at that point that looks questionable plantwise, they call him over. I never had a problem with the USDA at this point asking about the no tag, nor had to go back to the front USDA point.
THANKS for the fast response [we will be there next week]. Seeing that you list PR as your home, I have high confidence in this answer.

Thom

thanks

Thom

Only your checked bags need the USDA inspection sticker that is obtained by passing through the x-ray just inside the lobby when you arrive at the terminal. You must have the sticker on each bag when you check-in at the counter. Otherwise, they send you back to the x-ray. The carry-ons are not screened at that point. However, they probably also are on the lookout at the security checkpoint for items that the USDA prohibits. Also, the past few times while waiting for a flight there were dogs brought through the waiting area. I asked if they were looking for drugs and they said, no, we are USDA looking for fruit and other prohibited food items (so they said).

Not that anyone has implied this, let me say that I totally concur with protecting agriculture from pests, and I have no intention of trying to sneak something by. The Regulation that you kindly provided the link to says, in part:

Passengers destined for movement by aircraft from Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands of the United States to any other State, Territory, or District of the United States, except Guam, shall offer their carry-on baggage and other personal effects for inspection at the place marked for agricultural inspections, which will be located at the airport security checkpoint or the aircraft boarding gate, at the time they pass through the checkpoint or the gate.

If I'm reading correctly, having only carry on I am to proceed directly to the security checkpoint and agricultural inspection will be done there and possibly later.

thanks to all

Thom

Also, the past few times while waiting for a flight there were dogs brought through the waiting area. I asked if they were looking for drugs and they said, no, we are USDA looking for fruit and other prohibited food items (so they said).

Thanks for the warning about the dogs (I've had my service dog attacked by an airport dog before :mad: - and its handler was just as mean!).

They do indeed have dogs trained to sniff out prohibited fruits, veggies, etc. Sniffer dogs are pretty amazing - they can even sniff out pirated CDs and DVDs (in shipments stacked in warehouses, not ppl's luggage at airports)! :eek: I guess those have a different smell than authorized CDs and DVDs. They're not only for drugs. There are dogs that can sniff out cancer, too! Plus, seizure alert dogs and diabetic alert dogs.

TBN Hubby here,

I think you are correct. I used to work in PR and the locals I worked with told me to put everything through the AG inspection station so that is what I/we always did. Then, of course I was not traveling when 1000's of cruise passengers were leaving so there was no issue anyway. Perhaps they do this (and recommend this) when it is not crowded so that the sticker will keep the bag from being opened and inspected at the gate, but that is speculation...

Learn stuff here all the time and this is a good example!

Now if I could just get TBN to pack light enough to ONLY have carry-on on Cruises :)

TBN Hubby here,

I think you are correct. I used to work in PR and the locals I worked with told me to put everything through the AG inspection station so that is what I/we always did. Then, of course, I was not traveling when 1000's of cruise passengers were leaving, so there was no issue anyway. Perhaps they do this (and recommended this) when it is not crowded so that the sticker will keep the bag from being opened and inspected at the gate, but that is speculation...

Learn stuff here all the time and this is a good example!

Now if I could just get TBN to pack light enough to ONLY have carry-on on Cruises :)

Yup- what I said!

Personally, I use the SJU airport about 5 times a year...sometimes with checked bags, sometimes no. I also have many (as in a couple hundred/year) guests that I tell the same thing and no one has mentioned having an issue.

If I have checked bags, I occasionally will put my carry-on through at the front USDA point since I am there anyway for the luggage, but that does not stop them from also having the USDA agent at the Security check point possibly stop you to open the carry-on bag if they see something questionable.

There is no need to do the USDA check first if you only have carry-ons. The USDA will check your carry-on bag at the Security checkpoint if they want/feel they have reason.

I was there this past March and only put my checked bag through. I asked the inspector and he said "only checked bags go in here!" I admit I was nervous as I snaked my way into a very long line just to get through security, but had no problem with my carry on bag not having the inspection tag. Hope this helps and I hope this is the same policy now!

We were there on Sunday and they had us put our carryon thru along with our checked bags..I asked just to be sure & that's what they told us then...course they were not busy so maybe that's why...and only 1 person in front of us at Security...so far SJ airport has not been any worse than Orlando the 2 times I've flown out of there...:D

We flew SJU-IAD this past Saturday. Perhaps if you are already at the USDA checked-bag inspection they just tell you to send everything through, but we had no checked bags and never went to the USDA checked-bag line. No problems going through the Concourse Security line without previously getting USDA stickers. I assume that they did do some sort of agricultural inspection on our bags at Concourse Security.

Thom

Archived