Tampa airport questions

DaveOKC

Two questions concerning the Tampa Airport:

First, we are arriving at the cruise port and need to get to the Hertz car rental center at the airport. How is the best way to do this and where should I get dropped off?

Second, we are staying at the Marriott Airport location the night before we leave town to go home. How easy is it to get from the Marriott (in the airport) to Southwest Airlines and how how do I do this?

Second, we are staying at the Marriott Airport location the night before we leave town to go home. How easy is it to get from the Marriott (in the airport) to Southwest Airlines and how how do I do this?

Walk down the hallway that connects the hotel to the airport and take the escalator down one level, that will get you to ticketing. It is a very easy airport to navigate, though they are renovating inside, so not everything is where it is supposed to be. Another thing different about TPA is the TSA checkpoints are airside, so will take the tram to the terminal and then go through security after you get off. They will check your ticket though before you are allowed on the tram.

Walk down the hallway that connects the hotel to the airport and take the escalator down one level, that will get you to ticketing. It is a very easy airport to navigate, though they are renovating inside, so not everything is where it is supposed to be. Another thing different about TPA is the TSA checkpoints are airside, so will take the tram to the terminal and then go through security after you get off. They will check your ticket though before you are allowed on the tram.

Thanks! That sounds pretty quick and easy. We have an early flight out, so decided to stay right in the airport.

I would like to field this question because the above responses need to be tweaked:)

I work at Tampa airport for Intercruises which handles all the ground transportation for ALL the cruise lines in Tampa. I get that the cruise lines (that set the transfer prices) are not the least expensive way to get there, but I can tell you, taking the cruise transfers or not, we are the first people you all run to when something goes awry.

The taxi fare from TIA to the any of the Terminals has increased. Both Yellow cab and United Taxi are charging between $28-30.00 (before tip) to get to any of the 3 terminals. Uber has also increased their rates effective immediately (it was in today's newspaper). Taking a taxi is cost effective way in general for 3 or more people. Also, Super-shuttle is an option, especially if you arrive to the airport early (like 10-11AM) Last week it was $11.00 per person for Super-shuttle.

There is a new rental car facility which is accessed by the SKY train and is about 1.5 miles from the main terminal. You drop your car off at the facility, take the elevators upstairs, then board the SKYTrain to the main terminal. Important: when you reach the main terminal, take the elevators to the 1st level (either red or blue side) where you can catch Uber or take a taxi. There are carts for $5.00 in the rental car facility and I would recommend one if you have a bunch of luggage.

On your return to the airport, take the red elevators up to the 3rd level where you will find the entrance to the Marriott.

Have a great cruise.

I would like to field this question because the above responses need to be tweaked:)

I work at Tampa airport for Intercruises which handles all the ground transportation for ALL the cruise lines in Tampa. I get that the cruise lines (that set the transfer prices) are not the least expensive way to get there, but I can tell you, taking the cruise transfers or not, we are the first people you all run to when something goes awry.

The taxi fare from TIA to the any of the Terminals has increased. Both Yellow cab and United Taxi are charging between $28-30.00 (before tip) to get to any of the 3 terminals. Uber has also increased their rates effective immediately (it was in today's newspaper). Taking a taxi is cost effective way in general for 3 or more people. Also, Super-shuttle is an option, especially if you arrive to the airport early (like 10-11AM) Last week it was $11.00 per person for Super-shuttle.

There is a new rental car facility which is accessed by the SKY train and is about 1.5 miles from the main terminal. You drop your car off at the facility, take the elevators upstairs, then board the SKYTrain to the main terminal. Important: when you reach the main terminal, take the elevators to the 1st level (either red or blue side) where you can catch Uber or take a taxi. There are carts for $5.00 in the rental car facility and I would recommend one if you have a bunch of luggage.

On your return to the airport, take the red elevators up to the 3rd level where you will find the entrance to the Marriott.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Great information - THANKS!

One more thing - I will be taking a taxi from the pier to the airport to rent a car for 2 days. Where should I have the taxi drop me off - at the main terminal (where?) or at the car rental center? What directions should I give the taxi driver so that he/she understands what I want? I know that this is a bit unusual, which tends to confuse things when traveling, so any advice is great appreciated.

Great information - THANKS!

One more thing - I will be taking a taxi from the pier to the airport to rent a car for 2 days. Where should I have the taxi drop me off - at the main terminal (where?) or at the car rental center? What directions should I give the taxi driver so that he/she understands what I want? I know that this is a bit unusual, which tends to confuse things when traveling, so any advice is great appreciated.

The car rental center or else you will be taking the people mover back to there from the airport. There is good signage for the car center.

• 4 weeks later...
When I returned the Tampa port in Jan. once outside of the port terminal there are people holding signs for airport rides for $8.00. No advance reservations needed.
We saw the same yesterday (4/15), but opted for an UberXL. Our driver arrived in less than five minutes and we loaded five people with luggage into a minivan for a quick trip to TPA. Cost was under $25, including a $5 tip. We also used UberXL from the hotel to the pier at the start of the cruise. Highly recommended.