Sydney hotels in good location

Planning a cruise around New Zealand and Australia in Oct 2018 and after a short trip to Cairns, will be staying 4 nights in Sydney. Looking for a good location for a hotel or apt rental as we won't have a car that is centrally located for sightseeing. Any ideas?

Planning a cruise around New Zealand and Australia in Oct 2018 and after a short trip to Cairns, will be staying 4 nights in Sydney. Looking for a good location for a hotel or apt rental as we won't have a car that is centrally located for sightseeing. Any ideas?

What type of sightseeing, what budget.

Meriton in Pitt st is centrally located (serviced appartments)

We like Grace Hotel, again central and Holiday Inn near the OPT and ferry terminal.

Hi we stay at the Intercontinental best location and if you get a club room you will have the best views

of the harbor from the 32nd in the evening with drinks dinner and breakfast included.Your looking

at about $400 a night well worth it we feel

The best views in Sydney are from the nearby suburbs to the East where you get to look at the City from the outside.

I’d suggest the Larmont in Potts Point. Not only is it close to all the good bars and restaurants in the Potts Point, Darlinghurst and Kings Cross areas, it is also within a few minutes of the CBD too, by taxi bus or train.

I don’t know what you’re budget is but Sydney is a pretty expensive place,especially if you want to stay on the harbour.

Sydney has a fantastic public transport system,so if you’re budget is limited all you need is a train station near your hotel and your minutes away from all the attractions.

Thank you all for your suggestions! Not sure of our sightseeing in Sydney as of yet .... wanting to get the hotel first. We will have spent a few days in Auckland before the 13 day cruise and flying to Cairns for a few days and then back to Sydney. I understand that the metro system is excellent so getting around without a car shouldn't be a problem but would like to be somewhat close to the harbor.

One area to consider is Manly - a scenic (frequent, cheap and safe) ferry ride across the beautiful Harbour. The ferry goes every 30 minutes and at Circular Quay, is a couple of hundred feet from the Overseas Passenger Terminal where the RCI ships dock, and the same distance from the Opera House. Circular Quay also has a train station with direct connection to the airport and many many other parts of Sydney. https://www.manlyaustralia.com.au/

I don't own a business there or anything but every time my colleagues and I have visited Sydney, we have always included a trip on the ferry across to Manly for dinner.

I've stayed in a lot of places in Sydney over the years for several reasons and by world standards most hotels there are over priced and over rated. Having said that there are a few good but expensive choices within walking distance of the cruise terminal eg Marriot. In my opinion taking price into account there are better options. Eg Adina apartments at Central Station are housed in a beautiful old restored building in an area with lots of places to eat, etc. You are right next to the station and only about 2 stops from Circular Quay station which is right next to the port making it super convenient. You get heaps of extra space and often much cheaper. But my new favourite would be Regents Court in Potts Point. Also apartments in a restored old building in a great area only 5 mins from the city by taxi and a bit more to the port. A third of the price of circular quay hotels.

We are also looking for a hotel in Sydney at the end of October. We are looking in the area of CBD/Haymarket. Around $150-$200 a night. Does anyone know of any hotels with airport shuttle as well?

We are also looking for a hotel in Sydney at the end of October. We are looking in the area of CBD/Haymarket. Around $150-$200 a night. Does anyone know of any hotels with airport shuttle as well?

I don’t think there’s any hotels with shuttles from the airport.

The airport shuttle have a bad reputation.the best choice is train,Uber or taxi.

As for hotels ,if you don’t want anything fancy try the Novotel darling harbour.

You can catch the train to central then the light rail straight to the hotel.

Ibis is lower priced, wouldn’t stay more than a couple of nights, as it is pretty basic, but clean and comfortable.

Then get the train to the airport

My favourite place to stay in Sydney is Potts Point. I have just stayed five nights at the reasonably priced De Vere Hotel for $539 for a twin room during the busy Vivid Light Festival season. Minimum prices elsewhere were $300 pn at this time, including a weekend.

I love this area of Sydney, as it looks like Sydney, not a cookie cutter version of modern cities you find everywhere in the world. There are excellent restaurants, with good food, at all prices. You can walk in to the City through the beautiful Royal Botanical Gardens, or along the waterfront, in either direction. Otherwise there are two local busses (311) and a subway nearby at Kings Cross. Basic Shuttle from the hotel to the airport costs $14 pp. From the airport, we phoned Romel on 470 213 506, who came from the City to pick us up - marvellous friendly service.

My favourite place to stay in Sydney is Potts Point. I have just stayed five nights at the reasonably priced De Vere Hotel for $539 for a twin room during the busy Vivid Light Festival season. Minimum prices elsewhere were $300 pn at this time, including a weekend.

I love this area of Sydney, as it looks like Sydney, not a cookie cutter version of modern cities you find everywhere in the world. There are excellent restaurants, with good food, at all prices. You can walk in to the City through the beautiful Royal Botanical Gardens, or along the waterfront, in either direction. Otherwise there are two local busses (311) and a subway nearby at Kings Cross. Basic Shuttle from the hotel to the airport costs $14 pp. From the airport, we phoned Romel on 470 213 506, who came from the City to pick us up - marvellous friendly service.

You are right about Potts Point. It is one of the more interesting parts of the inner city, Or more accurately it is the most westerly of the chic Eastern Suburbs, Australia’s richest area.

That is not a bad location. It is in the Central business district, so nearby there are buses and trains to all the sightseeing stuff which is mostly in the northern part of the the same district. You could even walk to Circular Quay in about 15 to 20 minutes.

Ha anyone stayed at The Meriton Suites Campbell Street in Sydney? Is it located in a convenient location for sightseeing?

Thanks for your help.

Haven’t stayed there, but Meriton are usually good (never had a bad stay at their properties) Campbell Street is near Central Station and the bus interchange so good for public transport, not exactly in the centre of town, but still convenient, we have stayed in one hotel in the area (can’t recall the name I think it was a country comfort, but may be wrong) and had no complaints.

A few restaurants around, including China Town if that takes your fancy.