Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

late2cruisin

Members
  • Content Count

    510
  • Joined

About late2cruisin

  • Rank
    Cool Cruiser

About Me

  • Location
    Bellevue, WA
  • Interests
    travel, cruising, good food and wine
  • Favorite Cruise Line(s)
    Azamara, Celebrity, HAL

Recent Profile Visitors

341 profile views
  1. We are on Symphony now. It did skip Halong Bay altogether (after previously changing from overnight to just half a day). Our first port stop was Chan Mai yesterday (tendered) and today we are docked in Danang. After a sea day tomorrow, we are going to Saigon for 2 overnights, as originally planned. Then on to Ko Samui and then Sihanoukville, also as originally scheduled. All 120 of us are having a great cruise.
  2. I totally understand your point that if they had upgraded me from a C2 to a veranda (or suite!) that those who had paid for those cabins would be upset, and rightly so (unless they upgraded everyone to a higher category!) But please explain to me who would have been upset if they had allowed us to move from our current C2 location to a better C2 location? We asked about this and were flatly refused.
  3. Actually, we were surprised that they refused any upgrades at all. We did not choose our cabin and asked if we could change to a different location in the same cabin category and were told no, unless we paid for it. This was a shoreside corporate decision, we were told, and they are being totally inflexible about it. That is, of course, their right but it seems a bit ungenerous under the circumstances (the latest figure we got from a crew member is 120 guests, plus entertainers and lecturers.) We were also told that about 100 of the crew were let off, but they still vastly outnumber us. There is a slight adjustment in dining hours (restaurants open at 6:30 for dinner instead of 6). No problem getting into Prego or Umi Uma. Mark is playing to an almost empty Ave. Saloon (at one point we were the only ones there). No magic show this cruise, because we were told the magician didn't show up and they couldn't find a replacement. We were told that only one person showed up for beginners bridge, so I guess they got a private lesson?
  4. We are currently on the Symphony. We were nervous that it would be cancelled too, but it wasn't. (We were docked right next to the Seabourn Ovation in Singapore, and THAT cruise was cancelled at the last minute. It was strange to see the empty, dark ship just sitting there.) We have well under 200 passengers, not counting entertainers and enrichment speakers- the last figure I got, from Guest Relations, was 140-150 guests. It is indeed an interesting vibe. We are scheduled to go to Chan May/Danang after a few sea days, and then Saigon. Hanoi/Halong Bay was cancelled. I'm hoping Vietnam doesn't decided to deny entry to ships that have come from Singapore...
  5. When I checked the Crystal website last night, it had a revised itinerary with a stop in Chan May followed by a day in Danang. Halong Bay seems to have been cancelled. That was the port we were most looking forward to! There has been no communication from Crystal as of this morning, so I imagine most of the guests will be surprised. We will be leaving our hotel soon for the cruise terminal. WIsh us luck! A BIG thank you to Rob for all the valuable information he has been posting!! His blog has been our first and best source of information as well as keeping us entertained. Have a great flight home, Rob and Jim. We flew Singapore airlines business class once, and it was AMAZING! Sue
  6. Thanks! Keep us informed, since we have not heard anything from Crystal and I have a feeling lots of people will be going to the wrong terminal. I had assumed it would be Marina Bay, but Rick looked up Singapore Cruise Center and they showed Symphony arriving there. (On the other hand, they also showed your last port as Manila and the next port after Singapore as Port Klang! I sure hope they're wrong...)
  7. Rob, Do you know which cruise terminal you're docking at? I might be getting it confused but I thought there were two of them... Sue
  8. Thanks! It looks delicious. I'll look for it on Symphony if they have it (I think Serenity has more new menu items in Prego than Symphony does.)
  9. Nice! I'm starting to wish we had booked it too.
  10. I have been following that cruise for months now. Although the price of $2,999++ has not changed, it used to be for an OG, not an E2. And with OBC from TAs. I really liked the itinerary (and the price) but DH was concerned about going on that route even before the Iran thing recently. Now it's starting to look a lot less risky than our Asia cruise and he said he'd consider it! I have a feeling that cruise is suddenly going to be a lot more popular...
  11. Keith, What is that third photo (the entree)? Is it on the regular Prego menu or just on the special Serenity menu? Sue
  12. I got an email last night from Crystal. No phone call from anyone (though I wouldn't expect my TA to call me on Saturday night!)
  13. Yes, I just did. Not happy at all. After leaving Singapore, we will have an extra sea day and that will take away our full day in Halong Bay. So instead of a full day and a half day, we will only have a half day. No chance to go to Hanoi or to do a full day junk boat cruise on Halong Bay. That was the port I was most excited about. I don't need 3 days in Saigon (been there already and it really doesn't need all that much time). The rest of the cruise is the same as it was a few days ago, ending with overnight in Singapore. I really like the new itinerary for the March 16 cruise! If I didn't have eye surgery scheduled in March I would cancel the 2/15 cruise and book the 3/16 one in a heartbeat.
  14. I know you're trying to be helpful and I don't mean to seem unappreciative, but my feelings about paying double the per diem for a different cruise haven't changed. If I could have afforded those cruises I would have booked them in the first place. In any case, I'm waiting a few more days to see what happens. Maybe Crystal will cancel the cruise. Maybe Singapore will decided to refuse docking (like Taiwan did). It's just very stressful not knowing and having so little time to make plans. BTW, I have until 2/12 to let Crystal know, but they have no such constraint. They could decide to cancel on 2/13 (when I'm en route to Singapore) or 2/14 (when I've just arrived). As I said, very stressful. I'm not sure I understand your point about what would happen if Singapore were to close its port to all cruise ships. That's exactly what Taiwan did, but airlines are still flying to Taipei and EVA is refusing to waive the cancellation fee. So I doubt if all flights to Singapore would be cancelled in that case.
  15. So you weren't in the same situation as I am, since you were offered a refund or FCC and you chose the FCC. We have not been offered a refund because the cruise is not (yet) cancelled, although it could be at any time. I agree with your recommendation about waiting as long as you can before voluntarily cancelling...but my cruise leaves in a week and I have to fly to Singapore in 4 days! Also, I'm not sure what you mean about flights likely to be cancelled if sailing in/out of Singapore becomes not feasible. No one is sailing out of Hong Kong or Taipei, but many of the airlines are still flying there (including the one I still have a reservation on).
×
×
  • Create New...