World Cruise - Solo Style!

pomcruise

Ahoy!

It's been a long held dream to "do" a World Cruise (Southampton to Southampton), no flights, no airports and more importantly - no baggage restrictions!

I've read through some of the threads, which are sadly quite old, but still contain loads of useful information, so thank you all!

My query is this:

1) Has anyone ever done a full WC on their own? :)

2) If so, did you ever feel lonely (I do know how social cruises are, but just wondering if people keep more to themselves on such a long voyage)?

3) I'm looking at Cunard or P&O, but the single supplement is making it sooooo pricey... Did you get a better deal with the cruise line direct or through a travel agent?

4) How much "stuff" did you take? I'm thinking more in terms of items like deodorant!! :eek:

5) Were there any "perks" for being on for the full voyage as opposed to the sectors?

6) Did you manage to get an upgrade? Thinking I could book an outside and hope for an offer or free upgrade to a balcony?! ;)

I'm sure there's loads of questions I could rattle off, but those are the ones that occupy the mind - along with "how on earth am I going to pay for this and the bar bill at the end"!! :eek::eek: I'm planning for my 50th birthday so have just over 5 years to save!

Thanks for your advice!

I did a World Voyage solo on Cunard in 2014. Loved every minute of it and would have stayed on for another 118 days if they had let me! I was never lonely.

We had about 85 doing the full World Voyage solo out of about 525 total.

Cunard put 10 solo cruisers together at dinner. We became like a family and checked on each other if someone got sick, etc. I would recommend asking for a large table at dinner.

I would have gotten the same price from my TA (at the time) as booking directly but have since found a TA that does give a discount on World Voyages. Not sure what the situation on discounts is like in the U.K.

Cunard included gratuities for the full World Voyage. I believe Cunard is now giving some other perks as well. We also got a few gifts along the way (a diary, a Wedgwood mug with the WV logo on it, a silk scarf for ladies or silk tie for men, a totebag for ladies or ball cap for men, and maybe one other gift I can't remember).

I took what I thought would be enough toiletries but after two months realized I would run out before the end so I stocked up in Sydney. I needed three tubes of toothpaste, three deodorants but used the ship's shampoo, etc. so didn't have to worry about replenishing them.

When I planned my World Voyage I really believed I would take only one so I booked a balcony. I chose my stateroom specifically and checked that I was not interested in an upgrade. I have not heard of anyone getting a major upgrade on a full WV. Since about 3/4 of the people on Cunard's World Voyage are doing segments, they seem to get the upgrades (this happened to me when I did the first segment of QE's 2015 World Voyage - I booked a balcony but was upgraded to Club).

Going back to the lonely thing. When you do book, be sure to join (or start) a Cruise Critic roll call. We had an amazing one and I felt I had friends before I even got on the ship. Once onboard I was seeing friendly faces all the time!

Feel free to ask any other questions.

I'll end by saying I loved my World Voyage so much I am going on another one in 2018!

Ahoy!

Thanks for your advice!

Hi karen, in addition to Scranana's well thought out reply, i did the world cruise on the QV this year as a solo....can recommend it with every fibre of my being and yes even with the solo supplement I dont regret a single penny.

I wrote a wc blog which included the couple weeks afterwards, though if you want to skip through it for a few posts after the cruise, you will get a general feel of what its like from start to finish...

http://exitviathegiftshop.blogspot.co.nz

I hope you do it....im saving for another 2019....im hooked.

Edited by roscoe39

I'll end by saying I loved my World Voyage so much I am going on another one in 2018!

Thank you so much for your kind reply to my many questions! The more I read, the more I want to go, but don't want to have to wait :)

Sounds like a world cruise isn't a "once in a lifetime" trip :)

Thanks again...

Time to start saving like mad and/or start playing the lottery!

Regards

Karen

I hope you do it....im saving for another 2019....im hooked.

Hi Roscoe,

Wow! I couldn't wait to get home from work today to finish reading your blog! Thank you for posting a link to it, makes for great reading and a good laugh, plus seeing blue skies and sandy beaches when it's frosty outside here in the UK at the moment was an added bonus! :)

You and Scrapnana have inspired me to "go for it"and my spreadsheet looks a little empty at the moment, so I shall start saving hard! But as I said to Scrapana, I wanna go noooowwwww!!! Lol!

Hope you have as much fun on the 2019 cruise :)

Happy travels

Regards

Karen

xx

I haven't done a world cruise solo, but I did become friends on a WC with several people who did--and have done it multiple times and loved it. You might want to look at Crystal Cruises. They are pricey, but their single supplement is usually pretty modest so you often wind up ahead. And they are inclusive of tips and beverages, so that saves some expense. Plus, the benefit to a solo is that the lower single supplement attracts other solos, so you have a lot of others in the same boat (so to speak). Plus, with that much experience with catering to solos, the cruise line is very comfortable for people traveling without a companion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Karen,

I'm a solo cruiser, and a world cruise is a dream of mine also. Like you, I better start saving in earnest if I'm serious about this. I keep track of prices so I have a target to shoot for. I've read posts here on Cruise Critic from several solo world cruisers, so apparently it's not that uncommon. If I do this, I will only be able to afford an inside or outside cabin, and quite frankly, I can't imagine sharing it with another person for over 100 days. :eek:

I understand your wanting to sail round trip from Southampton from a convenience standpoint, but you may want to consider a round trip World Cruise from Ft. Lauderdale on Holland America. They only charge a 50% single supplement on inside and outside cabins. Their are no inside cabins available for the 2018 WC, so they go fast. I won't be able to do this until I retire, so I have time to plan and prepare, and would be able to book well ahead of time. There are added perks for those who book early, so best to work with your travel agent to get the best deal.

A big added expense is the shore excursions. Why sail the world if you're not going to see it? :D

Roz

• 3 weeks later...

One way to determine how much personal item "stuff" to take (which I am doing in anticipation of a 2018 World Cruise) is to track how long it takes to use hand cream, deodorant etc. now. I just put a starting date on a piece of paper and then an ending date. So if it takes 2 months to use up a container of shampoo, then take 2 containers for a 4 month cruise. Of course, as Scrapnana says, you can always stock up along the way.

I also would love to do a world cruise, I might have to wait until I retire, cause it would really be hard for me to be gone one month much less the time required for a world cruise.

For those who have where there many travelers under 50 years old?

Hi Sunshine,

I did my world on Cunard, the average age of the world cruisers is well over 60, but there were a number of younger passengers getting on and off at various sectors.

Choosing the line is really important and definately look at the demographics of thos who travel on it but having said that even though I was one of the youngest doing the WC this year I found that age want a barrier to having a good time.

Hi Sunshine,

I did my world on Cunard, the average age of the world cruisers is well over 60, but there were a number of younger passengers getting on and off at various sectors.

Choosing the line is really important and definately look at the demographics of thos who travel on it but having said that even though I was one of the youngest doing the WC this year I found that age want a barrier to having a good time.

thank you for the information, I'd so jealous of your travels. Safe travels.:)

• 5 weeks later...
I'm planning for my 50th birthday so have just over 5 years to save!

I've been thinking of taking a world cruise or a segment, I live my life/cruise solo, and I hope to turn 50 in 2017.

Luckily, not only am I fond of cruises and a member of the CC boards, I also have been practicing Mustachanism (http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/) for a couple of years, which means that I already have saved/invested enough money to afford a world cruise or segment right now if I wanted. In fact, when my employer at the time terminated my employment last year, I seriously considered taking a rare mid-year world cruise. If I knew I would be coming back to a job after the cruise, I'm pretty sure I would have gone.

So, maybe I'll tentatively plan to take a world cruise in early 2021, a few months after I turn 50 and about when I hope to be almost completely financially independent...

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

I haven't dropped into Cruise Critic for a while, so it's been great to catch up on the World Cruise thread I started last year! :D

I was seated with a lovely lady on a November cruise who had done several world cruise with her hubby and said that they loved every minute of it and yes, I probably would be one of the youngest on board even at 50, which still seems very grown up to me! ;)

I've already sown the seeds with the boss that I'd like a sabatical in 2021 (despite them saying they coldn't cope with me being gone for two and a half weeks)! Best I start saving in earnest seeing as i keep telling everyone I'm "doing a world cruise for my 50th birthday"!!

Thanks again for all the feedback and advice and bon voyage for now

Karen

• 7 months later...
Wonderful thread. I'd like to do a solo world cruise myself. My biggest anxiety is about medications. How do you get refills on such a long journey? I am only 43 but take several essential medications daily.

Get the amount you'll need before you leave. Call your insurance company and ask for a vacation waiver on the quantity limitations. I've always had success with this. A pharmacist once told me that the only time he'd ever seen one denied was for someone who asked for it multiple times in one year.

Get the amount you'll need before you leave. Call your insurance company and ask for a vacation waiver on the quantity limitations. I've always had success with this. A pharmacist once told me that the only time he'd ever seen one denied was for someone who asked for it multiple times in one year.

Thank you very much. One less thing to worry about.

• 1 month later...

I too want to do a world cruise solo. It won't be for a few years since I need to retire first, but starting to gather information and of course save plenty of money. I've cruised on Princess and Holland America, so those are possibilities, and I keep reading about Oceania and hear that while they are more expensive, the amenities may make up for the higher up-front cost, so I"ll consider them as well. While I enjoy a few formal nights, I've ruled out Cunard as being a bit too formal for me.

So, of the three contenders (Princess, HAL, and Oceania), wondering which is better for solos in terms of solo supplement, and dining arrangements. I would prefer not to eat alone (especially for that many nights) and I know Princess and HAL have traditional assigned dining, which would work, but not sure how "anytime" dining would work on world cruise, especially on Oceania.

This is probably one of the less important considerations (cost and itinerary being top considerations), but still a factor in overall enjoyment. Any advice/comments appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

If you want an interior or ocean view, HAL will charge 150-165% while Princess charges 200% on all cabins. If you want a balcony or suite, Princess will come in at a lower price. I called Oceania and was told they always charge 200% for world cruises/grand voyages (although the OLife choices are nice).

One thing I really dislike about the Oceania cruise is that it goes east so you are constantly losing an hour as you change time zones. The no assigned seating would be a deal breaker for me. Having to eat with different people all the time would be "cruel and unusual punishment". I am very much an introvert and take time to get to know people. Having to do the "who are you" "where are you from", etc. introductions numerous times would be tortuous. HAL has been very good about assigning solos tables together or at least with a few others and maybe a couple or two.

ETA - I just saw that Oceania will go west on its 2019 WC.

Something else to keep in mind is your travel agent. Mine gives a 6% discount (of the commissionable fare) on HAL (not sure if they do with other lines). I also get a night before the cruise in a hotel as well as transfers from airport to hotel to ship. They also provide a cocktail party and dinner the night before the cruise starts and hosts on the ship to help with problems. You get a few other perks as well.

Edited by Scrapnana

I too want to do a world cruise solo. It won't be for a few years since I need to retire first, but starting to gather information and of course save plenty of money. I've cruised on Princess and Holland America, so those are possibilities, and I keep reading about Oceania and hear that while they are more expensive, the amenities may make up for the higher up-front cost, so I"ll consider them as well. While I enjoy a few formal nights, I've ruled out Cunard as being a bit too formal for me.

So, of the three contenders (Princess, HAL, and Oceania), wondering which is better for solos in terms of solo supplement, and dining arrangements. I would prefer not to eat alone (especially for that many nights) and I know Princess and HAL have traditional assigned dining, which would work, but not sure how "anytime" dining would work on world cruise, especially on Oceania.

This is probably one of the less important considerations (cost and itinerary being top considerations), but still a factor in overall enjoyment. Any advice/comments appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Have you heard of Fred.Olsen or Cruise and Maritime Voyages? These lines market primarily to the UK, and their ships are significantly smaller than the ships in the other lines you mentioned. For some, that is a disadvantage, but for others, like myself, it it is an advantage.

This year, I was on two Fred.Olsen ships for four weeks each, and I can warmly and strongly recommend the line. A felllow passenger on both of those cruises is going on the Black Watch's November 2018 world cruise that will be in Sydney for the New Year. That sounds cool, doesn't it?

Also, I was able to get very good solo occupancy deals on the Fred.Olsen cruises, which I booked a month and a couple of weeks before the departure dates. Even if you do not book at the last minute, I think the line's world cruise solo occupancy prices are quite attractive.

What a fantastic thread.

It is my ambition to do a WC and this has been a great read. I look forward to reading the blogs.

I plan to retire in early 2019 and I will try to make this my goal in 2020 or 21.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if a world cruise would be different, in that you would get to know other cruisers on board quite quickly (especially on a smaller ship such as Oceania's Insignia with a capacity of 684 passengers)? I agree that having to do the standard introductions/small talk each evening for over a hundred nights, or to dine alone, would not be fun.