Bringing Dog from USA to NZ

It's an easier way to go, and bulk luggage is less costly (which is a factor when making a move.) Plus some people don't like to fly.

I am sure it would really depend on how much stuff they are moving and if they are actually leaving all their furniture and household goods behind.

I am sure it would really depend on how much stuff they are moving and if they are actually leaving all their furniture and household goods behind.

Of course individual situations cause different preferences and needs, but it doesn't negate the benefits of the cruise option.

Of course individual situations cause different preferences and needs, but it doesn't negate the benefits of the cruise option.

Exactly, my point was about how cruising would be better than flying with the cats, flying would include a much shorter confinement before going into some sort of quarantine area on arrival.

Exactly, my point was about how cruising would be better than flying with the cats

Odd, as your statement was "I don't see how a cruise helps, apart from having a cruise. " which certainly didn't come across as saying it was better.

I realize this discussion took place two years ago, but I am wondering if you had any luck finding a cruise that allowed you to take your dog to NZ. I am in a similar situation. I need to travel to NZ with two cats (one-way trip). Thanks!

How about they apply for the position of ship's cat, unless the job has been automated?

How does a cruise help with taking cats into NZ?
What does that have to do with you last saying it was better to take them by cruise?

Now Now - we're not on Carnival Legend here folks! No need to get catty.

For the record, the only good thing about a kat is it's easy to spell..... M O Q! : p

I didn't say it was better, I was asking how it was better. Which hasn't been addressed.

Actually, it was addressed: "It's an easier way to go, and bulk luggage is less costly (which is a factor when making a move.) Plus some people don't like to fly. "

The cats are just an addition to that, not the factor deciding that.

Actually, it was addressed: "It's an easier way to go, and bulk luggage is less costly (which is a factor when making a move.) Plus some people don't like to fly. "

The cats are just an addition to that, not the factor deciding that.

Although, I doubt it is easier to get a cat onto a cruise than a plane, let alone into a different country. I also think it would be a much longer confinement for the cat due to the length of the trip.

Perhaps you should contact Johnny Depp for advice on this matter.

After all he has some form in bringing a dog to Australia by plane.

As a fellow American, Johnny can probably provide some insight to the can do's and cannot do's in relation to this part of the world.

Why he may even provide some financial assistance to you in this matter.

Great Idea. I think Mr Joyce has his thoughts going in another direction... something to do with proving paternity or some such thing... not with dogs of course

Although, I doubt it is easier to get a cat onto a cruise than a plane, let alone into a different country. I also think it would be a much longer confinement for the cat due to the length of the trip.

I think that's what the poster was trying to find out. :-)

As for time, it's only about 3-4 days Sydney-Auckland usually. Cats/dogs often go into boarding for much longer that, and international flights may also take similar time, with connections, plus allowing for earlier checkins for preparation. And then you have extended quarantine. So that period of time is not so much an issue, compared to all the rest that goes into it.

I am not sure that ShallaBal is coming from Sydney, it seems that are from the US as they said ''I am in a similar situation'' to KarelianMom who said " It would be a 1-way trip from USA to NZ". Might well be from Seattle or Hawaii.???

Cruise ships do not allow pets at all. Only service animals. (Apart from the Queen Mary transatlantic.) There probably aren't any customs and reception facilities for pets in NZ ports either.

Putting cats in a pet box on a freighter across the Pacific doesn't seem a good idea. Stick to the tried and true, relatively quick aeroplane cargo method.

What a pity the original 2016 poster didn't let us know their outcome.